Lt. Commander
# 21
04-06-2012, 02:03 PM
I hope to see an "NPC refers to me as... " option implemented. If NPCs in passing, in dialogue and in all missions refer to me as " ... " then for all I care my official game rank can be Princess Conseula Banahammock (50).

- Refer to as titles could be:

( Current ranks )
( Future ranks )
( Possibility of adding in accolade titles too - thus giving these accolades added appeal to seek out and complete )
( Potentially opens the door to missions were we get a promotion for a series and then make a choice at the end which could see us losing that temporary rank etc )

Make it so please Mr. Stahl!
Lt. Commander
# 22
04-06-2012, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron
Of course nothing says Starfleet Admirals dont have personal flagships, Alternative Future Riker saved the Enterprise-D from being scrapped to serve as his flagship.
Admirals having their own ships is shown rather inconsistently in Star Trek. It's shown that they functionally work out of an office, only taking command of a ship during specific missions, rather than being deployed permanently on a ship as a captain is... which, taken together, means that an Admiral's ship is sitting at spacedock doing nothing the majority of the time, which doesn't make any sense.

It's a little difficult to reconcile that in-universe, but from an out-of-universe perspective, Riker commanding the Enterprise-D was just for dramatic purposes during a war.
Lt. Commander
# 23
04-06-2012, 02:16 PM
Decoupling the current rank system would be too much of a mess, also the only issue is being a Admiral ... not "I want to command a Odyssey as Lt. Commander", non flag ranks get promoted without them having a say on it because they dont have a say on it, we are not in Riker's situation were he passed on being Captain of his own ship in order to continue as First Officer of the Enterprise, we are Captain of our own ship the moment we finish the tutorial (or not even that).

The "Captain only" group cannot go about a compromise that is in essence "we can only be Captains", this is not a compromise, this is them getting what they want at the expense of people who dont mind getting being a Admiral and even seek it.

I have the Academy Uniforms and so have access to the Cadets ranks insignia, if I want I can have a Odyssey filled with 1st year Cadets by looking at their uniforms, people are just too hangup on semantics because its just text, I dont feel we need to re-address the entire rank system because the only problem seems to be the little part of the text that calls you by rank, I understand why people want to change it (I want it too) but its not need to throw everything away for it when all that is needed is altering some text on files.
Lt. Commander
# 24
04-06-2012, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_1999
But, I think that it's possible for a compromise between both sides.
There's no sides in this debate. I've seen no players actually stand up on a soap box and preach zealously in support of being Rear Admiral Lower Half.

So I say NO compromise, NO surrender.
Lt. Commander
# 25
04-06-2012, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
I've seen no players actually stand up on a soap box and preach zealously in support of being Rear Admiral Lower Half.
I have, but they were basically saying they didn't actually want to play the game, they just wanted to do Doff missions with full ships, basically making the game Fleet Management Online or Bureaucracy Online or some such thing..

It was pretty much a fail.
Lt. Commander
# 26
04-06-2012, 03:05 PM
If you look at the TOS movies, during every one of those, Kirk was an Admiral but he was still referred to as Captain while in command of the ship, regardless of the size of the ship. It is the customary way things are done, even in present day Navy. The person captaining the ship is called captain regardless of the ACTUAL rank. Why get so hung up on being an Admiral?
Lt. Commander
# 27
04-06-2012, 03:22 PM
Captain is also a title besides a rank, anyone in command of a ship, regardless of rank is the Captain of that vessel.

Things can get messy at times because, for example, the US Marines use the Army rank system (like the Air Force) so you have Captains that are in Navy ranks are Lieutenants.
Lt. Commander
# 28
04-06-2012, 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron
Captain is also a title besides a rank, anyone in command of a ship, regardless of rank is the Captain of that vessel.

Things can get messy at times because, for example, the US Marines use the Army rank system (like the Air Force) so you have Captains that are in Navy ranks are Lieutenants.
Precisely. That's why i don't see why so many people get all bent out of shape over their rank or title.
Lt. Commander
# 29
04-06-2012, 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metl View Post
Precisely. That's why i don't see why so many people get all bent out of shape over their rank or title.
It's the principle of the thing. Our characters in no way behave like an Admiral.

It comes back to immersion, at least for me. When I play, I want to be a Captain and only a Captain, so when NPCs address me as Admiral, it's a little bothersome.

It would be awesome if Cryptic implemented that option to set what NPCs address you as... but the best solution would be to give Admiral uniform options and titles to people in charge of Fleets and their officers, not every player. Sometimes the confines of gameplay mechanics can bolster immersion, and too much freedom can squash it. That's really the heart of the issue, I think.
Lt. Commander
# 30
04-06-2012, 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattimus_Prime View Post
It's the principle of the thing. Our characters in no way behave like an Admiral.
No, you are just hangup on the title.

You are also looking at things from a modern perspective, Admirals on the old days had to board ships because they had no way to communicate with their fleets and when the fighting started there was no fancy communication systems either, the whole thing pretty much hang on people doing what they were supposed to do and the plan worked ... no corrections in mid battle.

I know you are going to bring up "but they have in Trek" but thematically they it was set on the old days of Wooden Ships and Iron Men, not 21st Century "press a button and see a missile fly and kill people 2000 miles away" even if technologically they are even beyond that point.

Quote:
It comes back to immersion, at least for me. When I play, I want to be a Captain and only a Captain, so when NPCs address me as Admiral, it's a little bothersome.
I have bigger fish to fry, like why the fact I am a Telepath have no bearing on anything, I continue to be duped by the Udine as I would pretty much be able to detect them.

This is just points out you are just hangup on a word, sure it can be a bit irritating but if you want "immersion" how about having the game actually REACT to more specific traits that just a few options here and there for some traits, not about immersion because it does not matter what I play as all responses are always the same.

I dread the day Section 31 gets into the plot because I want to have nothing to do with them and yet looking at the DOFF chains I see chances are I have to deal with it and I find that will be far more aggravating that having to deal with a word that comes up in dialog from time to time, especially as I know whatever happens I will have no choice, even if press skip the game will continue to function as if I taken them.

Quote:
It would be awesome if Cryptic implemented that option to set what NPCs address you as... but the best solution would be to give Admiral uniform options and titles to people in charge of Fleets and their officers, not every player.
And this is why I am saying this is not a compromise, this is YOU getting what YOU want and at this point is TAKING something from players that earn it ... yes, its easy to level to 50 in a week but its still something they EARNED.

Quote:
Sometimes the confines of gameplay mechanics can bolster immersion, and too much freedom can squash it. That's really the heart of the issue, I think.
No, the "Heart of the Issue" is some people apparently get their panties in a twist when a NPC call them Admiral ... that is it.

We also have people that get their panties in a twist with other things ... like the Ambassador class not being in the game, that they cannot get a Constitution Refit at T5, the existence of Carriers in the game, the fact the Excelsior is better tactical cruiser that the Sovereign ...

This? its a irritation ... one that could be solved if they make changes to the UI (pick address rank as) and/or the dialog files but you are going beyond that, you want the system to be changed because YOU only want Fleets to have Admirals ... actually you dont even want that, that is your compromise.

And them it begs the question ... what is fair? having someone with Admiral rank because he created a Fleet despite the fact he just started the game yesterday or someone that can only be a Captain after playing the game over six months? Or you want to change that too?

And I say this ... be careful what you put on Season 6 because if you start playing around with Fleet Only mechanics this will bring troubles because right now there is no real reason to play Guild Politics but if they are ... we have EVE to show us what usually happens and there is a reason why I will never play EVE, its the Corporations.