Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
04-06-2012, 02:22 PM
Maybe this station is on the far (Gamma) side of the wormhole? The Excelsior class shown is coming out of it instead of going in... perhaps it would be a good idea to have station placed their for repairs/defense.
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-06-2012, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
TBH, I can't really imagine that Starfleet would have kept what we know as DS9.
  • Bajor is part of the federation
  • DS9 is a Mining station
  • DS9 is weak and tactically poorly designed
  • Starfleet uses specific configurations.

It does feel like Bajor is not yet a part of the federation, based on the "Of Bajor" mission... The bajorans there act as if they weren't a part of the Federation anyways... Which is odd really.
I agree with the snippets above.

Deep Space 9 wasn't based upon Federation designs. After the Dominion war in season seven, also following the confrontation with the Klingons, the logical course of action would be to redesign the station. During their battle with the Dominion, the Klingons took over several of the planets in the Cardassian system. Even though the Dominion war had ended, the Klingons still maintained control over those planets. If the Federation left Deep Space 9 in the condition it was, they would not be prepared for a future confrontation with the Dominion and Klingons.

Technically, "Star Trek: Online's" old school version of the station would not exist, for it's design is based upon an obsolete set of technological specs.
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-06-2012, 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamandus View Post
Maybe this station is on the far (Gamma) side of the wormhole? The Excelsior class shown is coming out of it instead of going in... perhaps it would be a good idea to have station placed their for repairs/defense.
That's exactly what I was thinking. It's just a good idea all around to put a base on both sides of the wormhole. Better facilities, better communications, a presence beyond the occasional ship...

I would love for STO to put one in as well, although I would prefer something more like the former ESD model.

Edit: although the Amazon summary mentions "disastrous events in the Bajoran system"...

Edit 2: It sppears there's another book being released in May that comes before the one we're talking about, and it has regular DS9 on the cover: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Plagues_of_Night
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-06-2012, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridaguy74656 View Post
I dont get how you can dislike DS9 and really it seems DS9 did pretty well against many enemies. No Station can survive against a fleet really. There is no need to replace DS9
You mean apart from the fact that it is about as pretty as my mother-in-law? (wich is not at all)

I take it you did not pay attention when the shields were breached within 5 minutes of attack from relatively small assaults from the Klingons and the Dominion?

ESD survived a Breen attack that appearently lasted rather long

Apart from the fact that it is not a Federation station type, wich more than once has brought troubble in getting spare parts, and it is still a MINING STATION... not a forward operations center.

The only reason the station is cardassian in the series, is because Bajor is not a part of the federation, and that the bajorans had the POS station already hanging around orbit.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-06-2012, 02:38 PM
For all we know, that could be a new Fed Starbase on the Gamma Quadrant side of the Wormhole.
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-06-2012, 02:40 PM
Or it's some clever ploy to sell books!
Number 7 is the culprit here.
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-06-2012, 02:40 PM
lay-out- would be great for a new fleet Star Base hub.
Set in line with the Star Base 157 lay-out , we could see this as the modular command deck
the hanger deck/bay control room near it
157 Detention area
and Star Base 114's cargo bay areas
Star Base K-7s Medical bay and Commander Wildmans Admiral's office
and 23rd Century Drozana.. as perfect pre-existing resources.for the Trek made beautiful.initiative..

Add.in a few captured Romulan Outpost and the old First city map..WA'LA
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-06-2012, 02:43 PM
Quote:
The only reason the station is cardassian in the series, is because Bajor is not a part of the federation, and that the bajorans had the POS station already hanging around orbit.
I cannot remember. Did the Bajorans join the Federation at the end of the series?

Also, many people probably do not remember, but... "Star Trek: The Next Generation" introduced the Bajorans as a bunch of activist outcasts. Ensign Ro Laren's background was used to introduce us to the species. Around this point in Bajoran history, the Federation believed that the Bajorans were radical extremists.

Deep Space 9 is a symbol of Cardassian dominance over the Bajorans. After the peace treaty was signed with the Dominion, the Federation would most likely redesign the station to move beyond the past. Since it sits between Bajor and the wormhole, leaving the station as a mining facility would also be counter productive. its design is a security risk.
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-06-2012, 02:45 PM
Quote:
You mean apart from the fact that it is about as pretty as my mother-in-law? (wich is not at all)

I take it you did not pay attention when the shields were breached within 5 minutes of attack from relatively small assaults from the Klingons and the Dominion?

ESD survived a Breen attack that appearently lasted rather long

Apart from the fact that it is not a Federation station type, wich more than once has brought troubble in getting spare parts, and it is still a MINING STATION... not a forward operations center.

Deep Space Nine is my all time favorite Trek Station.
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-06-2012, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
perhaps someone blew it up in an earlier books?
Dunno the book before it hasn't been released yet could be that it was blown up or it could be on the other side.

It wasn't written by David Mack and he is normally the one to blow things up :p