Lt. Commander
# 21
04-08-2012, 05:31 PM
I don't think anyone would argue that the Foundry tools leave a lot to be desired, but it's just not true that there's nothing to master, as Pendra80, among others, have demonstrated.

Even with poor tools, we're still able to accomplish some pretty powerful things.

I think you need to take the time to get to know the Foundry tools and "master" them before making statements that there is nothing to master or no point.

If you just said the Foundry tools were lacking in some areas, and thus required insane work around to accomplish things that should be simple then I'd have no disagreement with that.
Lt. Commander
# 22
04-09-2012, 10:53 AM
Too bad I can't do half the stuff I want AT ALL.
And for the rest I have to jump trough a dozen hoops.
Lt. Commander
# 23 NWN: Aurora
04-09-2012, 11:36 AM
The Neverwinter Nights (NWN) Aurora Toolset and options to modify the game via "haks" was (and still is to some) the ultimate in creating adventures. Allowing the community to create models or fix tilesets (the community repaired many bugs in NWN for the devs) resulted in something amazing - a prime example was the community creating rideable horses and mounts which did not exist in the game. Yes, I know this could create bugs, as it did, but the community also fixed those as well. There were community organizations (CEP, CTP, DLA) dedicated to pre-check, repair, and approve any model/tileset before posting them for community use. (Isn't this what Tribble is for?)

The toolset itself was accessible to beginners who just dropped items to create their module, or advanced users who could script specific actions and create cutscenes (using a C++ like programming language).

In the end NWN continued as a viable game way past its prime (and my guild still intends to return there some day - after the STO buzz wears off).

As for the Foundry, I was hoping for something similar... however, I will continue to work on my ST stories nonetheless. I strongly suggest that the Devs explore NWN I's Aurora toolset as a guide for improving the Foundry for both STO, and eventually CO & NWN (especially if they wish to have the same success with NWN!!!).

Excimer500
Lt. Commander
# 24
04-09-2012, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soronarr View Post
Too bad I can't do half the stuff I want AT ALL.
And for the rest I have to jump trough a dozen hoops.
What do you want to do?
Lt. Commander
# 25
04-09-2012, 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
What do you want to do?
Timed events
Pathed NPC's
Conditional actions
Branching story-lines

... Just to name a few
Lt. Commander
# 26
04-09-2012, 10:01 PM
you can almost do timed events. You can trigger events based on if someone moves to a certain place.

The rest of them.... yeah those would be nice.
Lt. Commander
# 27
04-09-2012, 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
you can almost do timed events. You can trigger events based on if someone moves to a certain place.

The rest of them.... yeah those would be nice.
No... you cant make timed events...

A timed event is something that happens after a certain amount of time after the map has loaded regardless of everything else that goes on. And that is a time you have control over.

None of the current "solutions" are real timed events...

What you describe is a trigger witch relies on the person actually moving into an area... Wich is useless to some of the tings I want to make.
Lt. Commander
# 28
04-10-2012, 02:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
Timed events
Pathed NPC's
Conditional actions
Branching story-lines
task and orders for NPC
strength and loadout adjustmetns for all ships
variables
cutscenes

etc...
Lt. Commander
# 29
04-10-2012, 02:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soronarr View Post
task and orders for NPC
strength and loadout adjustmetns for all ships
variables
cutscenes

etc...
THIS... BIG time this
Lt. Commander
# 30
04-10-2012, 02:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
No... you cant make timed events...

A timed event is something that happens after a certain amount of time after the map has loaded regardless of everything else that goes on. And that is a time you have control over.

None of the current "solutions" are real timed events...

What you describe is a trigger witch relies on the person actually moving into an area... Wich is useless to some of the tings I want to make.
so,what you want is say for example if you don't finish a map within 5 minutes,than a massive borg fleet arrives to destroy you? is that the sort of thing you meant or something else?