Lt. Commander
# 31
04-10-2012, 03:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger_Ryu
so,what you want is say for example if you don't finish a map within 5 minutes,than a massive borg fleet arrives to destroy you? is that the sort of thing you meant or something else?
Thats the extremely rough layout yea, but thats not something that I had even thought about... Kinda scares me that you did... Since you point that out, there should obviously be some kind of restrictions to prevent that kind of abuse.

My line of thinking was "if you havn't reached this point within say... 60 seconds, you will have to interact with a console to do X to open a forcefield or the oppersite of your suggestion:
If a player hasn't beaten enemyX reinforcements beam in...

Much like that mission where you have to fight the 8472 ship, while you wait for reinforcements.
Lt. Commander
# 32
04-10-2012, 03:24 AM
Yeah,so we know the game engine itself can support this type of idea,whether the developers will allow us to do so in the foundry......is another matter entirely, knda like how I can't make liberated borg in the foundry since I'm only a silver player. I hope they change that,I want to make Borg!
Lt. Commander
# 33
04-10-2012, 03:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger_Ryu
Yeah,so we know the game engine itself can support this type of idea,whether the developers will allow us to do so in the foundry......is another matter entirely, knda like how I can't make liberated borg in the foundry since I'm only a silver player. I hope they change that,I want to make Borg!
You can't make a Liberated borg as an NPC? That's odd... oh well.

But timers are a completely different aspect. The problem here is scripting. They don't allow for scripting at the moment, only pre-defined triggers (wich is extremely limited as well).

If I am to make a truly interesting story, one I have in my head atm, I need branching stories, and timed events.
Lt. Commander
# 34
04-10-2012, 05:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
Thats the extremely rough layout yea, but thats not something that I had even thought about... Kinda scares me that you did... Since you point that out, there should obviously be some kind of restrictions to prevent that kind of abuse.
Why would that be abuse?
Lt. Commander
# 35
04-10-2012, 06:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soronarr View Post
Why would that be abuse?
Uberspam of Borg ships? You can't see how that would be abuse? I hope you are kidding...
Lt. Commander
# 36
04-10-2012, 01:50 PM
I don't see it either. It'd make the mission unwinnable and you'd have to leave the map and restart, but that's it really.
Lt. Commander
# 37
04-10-2012, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
You can't make a Liberated borg as an NPC? That's odd... oh well.

But timers are a completely different aspect. The problem here is scripting. They don't allow for scripting at the moment, only pre-defined triggers (wich is extremely limited as well).

If I am to make a truly interesting story, one I have in my head atm, I need branching stories, and timed events.
You want a branched story? You have at least 3 ways to do it.
Same map, triggers only
Different maps, using status codes upon spawn up.
Branched mission sequels. If you killed the guy play Part 2A, if you didn't play Part 2B.

Don't bother with branching stuff. In theory, it is good. However, most people won't play it again. They will rate you down instead because of the unexpectedly bad ending.

Timers are problematic. What happens if I read too slow? Can I be late from a meeting, miss the NPC and fail the mission? The best timer there is at the moment is pitting enemy factions against each other and type a group's component complete to the event you want to delay.
Lt. Commander
# 38
04-10-2012, 02:44 PM
Its possible to have a branched story box and et an event trigger to go off of one of two branches.
Lt. Commander
# 39
04-10-2012, 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendra80 View Post
You want a branched story? You have at least 3 ways to do it.
Same map, triggers only
Different maps, using status codes upon spawn up.
Branched mission sequels. If you killed the guy play Part 2A, if you didn't play Part 2B.

Don't bother with branching stuff. In theory, it is good. However, most people won't play it again. They will rate you down instead because of the unexpectedly bad ending.

Timers are problematic. What happens if I read too slow? Can I be late from a meeting, miss the NPC and fail the mission? The best timer there is at the moment is pitting enemy factions against each other and type a group's component complete to the event you want to delay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
Its possible to have a branched story box and et an event trigger to go off of one of two branches.
The mission will ALWAYS end the same way, no matter what you do...
Lt. Commander
# 40
04-10-2012, 09:54 PM
Not exactly correct.

The mission will always END.
IE...the last objective needs to be met. "Grazorak City" all but ignores the objective system, the objectives are only necessary to switch maps. Virtually everything else that happens is up to the player. There are multiple story lines, and the whole thing is really open ended, possibly too much, because it's possible to finish the mission by doing almost nothing. It's also possible to have a 3 hour mission, it all depends on the choices and activities of the player really.

In "Needs of the few", we see the same type of open ended mission. The ending is really up to the player. The missions do NOT end the same, at least not in a story-telling sense.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that the mission does not always have to end the same, unless finding a placemarker in your captain's ready room, after the mission is over, counts as ending the same.