Lt. Commander
# 51
04-11-2012, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendra80 View Post
~snip
Your example fails... Why?

Because I am unemployed...

Depending on where I sleep tomorrow affects if I am rested enough to make a good impression to the diffrent locations I go to.

(Yea... I can drag this far...)

But to answer your question... I am waiting for that patch... I am not using the foundry, especially since we are just the crash-test dummys for Neverwinter... Untill that changes, I prefer not to waste my time with a laughable tool...
Lt. Commander
# 52
04-11-2012, 03:04 PM
There are things that missions have no control over (not even Cryptic missions). Such as at the end of the day
- You will still be alive
- Your BOFFs will be alive
- You will still be commanding a ship (thus you always have tasks to attend to)
- You will still have a ship (thus you always have a place you are tied to)

I doubt any patch will change these fix points. This is not Sims, Second life or anything like that. So your unemployed example will never be a valid ending point. You will never be able to make a mission where you go rouge, move around solo and hitchhike on transport ships. Think about missions as episods of a series. In series the basic rule is that big things never change. If you have a job at the begining of the ep, you will have a job at the end of the ep. This is there to make sure viewers, who missed a few eps, can still pick up the plot. Bigger changes (new char in, old char out, moving etc) may be introduced mid season or the begining of a new season. That is the reason Babylon 5 was such a fantastic show.

Everything else, you can make with carefull planning, workarounds and liberal use of creativity.

Do you happen to have (and willing to share in public or private) a basic plot/script or something you wish to turn into a mission?
Lt. Commander
# 53
04-11-2012, 03:11 PM
I already have a mission actually... It was to set the grounds for future mission untill I ran into some of the more severe limitations.

This unfortunally leaves me with lots of requests for a sequel, 3 unfinished missions and a revamped version of the original that I will never publish.

The Unemployment was not a example, but a metaphor
Lt. Commander
# 54
04-11-2012, 04:13 PM
Ok played the mission. Everything nice and happy at the end with little to no loose ends. What is the decision you want the player to make in the 2nd chapter which can't be carried out with the current set of tools and workarounds? We can discuss it in mail if you don't want to spiler it in public.
Lt. Commander
# 55
04-11-2012, 10:47 PM
I don't know...I'm still sort of surprised by just how much you can do with the Foundry as it currently stands. Sure, it could use a lot more stuff, but it's far from worthless.

In the end an artist of whatever type is always limited by his tools or his medium. You just have to make the best of it, and try to come up with creative ways to work around the limitations.
Lt. Commander
# 56
04-11-2012, 11:17 PM
Quote:
Ok played the mission. Everything nice and happy at the end with little to no loose ends. What is the decision you want the player to make in the 2nd chapter which can't be carried out with the current set of tools and workarounds? We can discuss it in mail if you don't want to spiler it in public.
Theres much more than just the branching stories that prevents me from releasing the missions... And I wont be bothered by doing half messy workarounds.
Lt. Commander
# 57
04-12-2012, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Everything else, you can make with carefull planning, workarounds and liberal use of creativity.

No, you can't.
You really, really can't.
Lt. Commander
# 58
04-12-2012, 10:25 AM
You know I have this annoying tendency to try and solve problems that crosses my path. Either I can help to solve it or I can confirm that you ask for impossible. From my point of view, both outcome closes the issue.

So, you say you have a problem. Fair enough. But through 6 pages you haven't tell us what the problem is. To counter the lack of specifics, we tried to give you a broad, generic overview. It didn't help as far as I can tell. Now it is your turn to tell us finally:

What do you want to do?
What do you want to achieve?
What do we even talk about?

Without knowing the details, your statement that the "Foundry suck because it can't do what I want" holds little value. For all we know at the moment, you may want the Foundry to do the dishes, which it can't do for sure.
Lt. Commander
# 59
04-12-2012, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
since we are just the crash-test dummys for Neverwinter... .
I prefer to think of NW as STO crashtest dummies.
Lt. Commander
# 60
04-12-2012, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
I prefer to think of NW as STO crashtest dummies.
Preferences are irrelevant... We have known for a long time that Cryptic by their own admission uses STO as the foundry test... not vice versa.