# 11
04-08-2012, 06:40 PM
I've got balls of steel!
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-08-2012, 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by j0n4h
And, yes, there are few things more frustrating than getting 'advice' from good people who mean well but are playing for reasons entirely different than your own.
I play for fun, and I'm assuming SHARKFORCE does as well. I'm not sure about other members of FES, but I'm sure most of them do it for fun too.
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-08-2012, 07:13 PM
Quote:
For the love of Ensign Ricky...
Somebody call?
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-09-2012, 05:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radkip View Post
I play for fun, and I'm assuming SHARKFORCE does as well. I'm not sure about other members of FES, but I'm sure most of them do it for fun too.
'Fun' covers a lot of different things and changes from person to person,your definition of fun may not be the same as mine.One man's heaven is another man's hell.
Lt. Commander
# 15 Not really the point...
04-09-2012, 06:35 AM
Quote:
I'm not disparaging your fleet or its members. On the contrary, I hold some of them in the highest possible regard. All players play for fun as they define it. The question is whether the game allows some to have fun at the expense of others, rather than fostering and allowing for multiple styles of play from a broad community of players.

No one has really refuted (or even addressed) my two points, so let me state them another way. The disparity between a newly-minted VA and one fully decked-out like a walking tin can with Mk XII gear is as great as the difference between, say, an RA1 and a VA*. Yet, both are thrown into the same queues; this negatively affects PvP gameplay. Over time, it will discourage anyone from queuing until they've completed the arduous (in my opinion, mind-numbing) process of grinding hundreds of STFs.

Second, removal of the dilithium rewards from Otha has negatively impacted ground in the two ways I cited in my original post.

My hope was for discussion of a solution *other* than the one I believe is obvious and inevitable. The counterbalance to grind-to-win (G2W) is pay-to-win (or, in this case, "pay for parity"). It would balance abilities between those with spare time and those with spare cash. It's coming. It has to, or people like me will find other things on which to spend their disposable income.

-------------------------
* Wild, off-the-cuff comparison for the sake of discussion. Somebody with a good grasp of game mechanics could probably run the numbers and tell us exactly.
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-09-2012, 07:43 AM
Quote:
I'm not disparaging your fleet or its members. On the contrary, I hold some of them in the highest possible regard. All players play for fun as they define it. The question is whether the game allows some to have fun at the expense of others, rather than fostering and allowing for multiple styles of play from a broad community of players.

No one has really refuted (or even addressed) my two points, so let me state them another way. The disparity between a newly-minted VA and one fully decked-out like a walking tin can with Mk XII gear is as great as the difference between, say, an RA1 and a VA*. Yet, both are thrown into the same queues; this negatively affects PvP gameplay. Over time, it will discourage anyone from queuing until they've completed the arduous (in my opinion, mind-numbing) process of grinding hundreds of STFs.

Second, removal of the dilithium rewards from Otha has negatively impacted ground in the two ways I cited in my original post.

My hope was for discussion of a solution *other* than the one I believe is obvious and inevitable. The counterbalance to grind-to-win (G2W) is pay-to-win (or, in this case, "pay for parity"). It would balance abilities between those with spare time and those with spare cash. It's coming. It has to, or people like me will find other things on which to spend their disposable income.

-------------------------
* Wild, off-the-cuff comparison for the sake of discussion. Somebody with a good grasp of game mechanics could probably run the numbers and tell us exactly.
Ground PvP has been offset by the introduction of the STF gear,it is the 'must have' gear right now....the set skills and the team bonus are too good to pass up...it's just sad to see people claim that they are the best when in reality much of their 'skill' come from these 'perks'.

Then we have the fact that a lot of people don't start PvPing till they reach level cap,so when they start PvPing with their PvE mindset....I've seen a lot of people use shooter mode..

And lets not forget the Dilithium farmers that either just die once and never respawn or worse,suicide over and over...sounds like fun for the whole team....or my all time favorite people (to shoot that is),the spawn campers that 'farm' the unlucky pug in the team.....more fun for the team.
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-09-2012, 10:09 AM
Quote:
All it is is advice and guidelines, not a rigid ruleset. If you want to go in running and gunning into a bunkered area, that's your choice.
I have Played in Arena matches with your bunkering premades, was a lot of fun sitting outside waiting for one of you to do something other than sit in bunkered area. We eventually HAD to attack you or die of boredom. Is that the only way you can fight a PuG? That is not good PvP.

The OP is correct, Otha is suffering. It needs a larger challenge and a reward system that can get PvP only guys better gear, but not reward AFK or farmers who just sit there.

The issue with set gear is ... touchy. Of course anyone who has earned it from STFs wants to use it. But I know the OP and he can AFK STFs with us any time. We can 4 man all the STFs no problem.
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-09-2012, 11:02 AM
Well I do agree the stf two piece sets are more survivable then common gear I wouldn't say they are completely balance breaking as opposed to space sets. In the end it is the team and players skill that is gonna make or break the deal. I would love to fight a team of newer ground players all with full sets and a team of the best players in the game without any stf gear and see the final score. The would be a good test to see if the op idea about them was correct.

One quick thing to note that the changes to tactical initiative prevent a stealthd player from alpha one shoting then quickly recloaking now. In fact it is more of a team skill now then before. Remember how we were all crying about one shots as the main balance issue?

But from a team play standpoint I think overall the game is more balanced between classes minus the issues I will mention in the next paragraph. The new skill tree gives engy and sci ability to get more base weapon dmg. Allowing everyone to spec their armor and shields has allowed the average player to hang in a fight longer. Now as far as sets balance goes I don't have a single issue with it at all. There must always be an advantage towards spending time hunting that ENDGAME gear. As far as premade teams who carry stf gear against pug teams the lack gear isn't gonna prevent the slaughter.

The sets aren't the problem in ground pvp now. There are really only three major issues with ground pvp 2 of them need priority repairs however.

1. Stealth stacking (sometimes unintentional) There are currently 4 methods of stealth available to a tact officer and two of those available to engy and sci all of which can stack. When target optics and tricorder scan can't detect a stealthed player even at 1 meter yes that's a broken mechanic.

Speced stealth module from kit +490
Distortion field from omega set +350
Ambush from kit +252
Shroud devices from Of Bajor featured mission +450

Ways to fix this. Eliminate stacking of any two of these pretty much solves the problem. The stealth value will once again not become useless but will become detectable with target optics and tricorder scan. Also adding stealth to ambush imo was not needed. The run speed boost from it was a nice addition but please remove the stealth from it.

2. Cloaked Grenades Since using distortion field, ambush or shrouds does not inhibit any powers from being used we now have stealth grenades that are not detectable cause the warning ring around them is also stealthed.

Ways to fix this. Disable grenades during use of any stealth power. In contrast consider disabling mines and bombs if an engy is using a stealth power. Well at least until the stealth stacking is fixed.

3. Kit swapping to gain more deployed devices. This is mostly an engy exploit.
Ways to fix this. Have ALL items disappear when the kit is changed. This will prevent an engy from having a bunker enemy neut kit active at the same time. This one may take more advanced programming language of their part then the other problems. I am not 100 percent sure. But please fix the first two issues first this one here has not gotten me killed yet.

PS not that's it's needed right now but the plus 10 stealth part of the covert trait isn't working LOL!
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-09-2012, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuccaneerDTB
I have Played in Arena matches with your bunkering premades, was a lot of fun sitting outside waiting for one of you to do something other than sit in bunkered area. We eventually HAD to attack you or die of boredom. Is that the only way you can fight a PuG? That is not good PvP.
Well, I personally don't run with my fleet very often. They'll pull me in to heal every now and then, or I'll end up in a chance pug group with them, but I mostly just pug, heal idiots who stand in plasma fires and run off on their own and are generally just terrible players.

Bunkering is one of the most boring aspects of PvP as I like to shoot and kill stuff, not set up an impenetrable base. But it's a tactic that works, unless the opposing team has an engineer and a tactical officer who are worth anything.

And no, it's not the only tactic FES employs. They only employ it against targets that they deem as a worthy adversary. Most of the matches I've been in with them have been run and gun massacres for both sides.

Quote:
1. Stealth stacking (sometimes unintentional) There are currently 4 methods of stealth available to a tact officer and two of those available to engy and sci all of which can stack. When target optics and tricorder scan can't detect a stealthed player even at 1 meter yes that's a broken mechanic.
Actually, when I use Tricorder Scan on a team mate who has Target Optics and the Gamma Quadrant Tribble buff, they usually spot stealthed targets coming from a mile away.
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-09-2012, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuccaneerDTB

The OP is correct, Otha is suffering. It needs a larger challenge and a reward system that can get PvP only guys better gear, but not reward AFK or farmers who just sit there.

The issue with set gear is ... touchy. Of course anyone who has earned it from STFs wants to use it. But I know the OP and he can AFK STFs with us any time. We can 4 man all the STFs no problem.
Now I disagree with you there. That's smart play and while it does suck I have been with teams and can defeat that setup if the the players and team are there to do it. So don't cry about them bunkering get a team of some great ground pvpers and lets do something about. I am up for it as always. Little hint the bulk of that bunker can be taken down is about seconds with just 2 players doing 3 actions.

Ill give 1 million energy credits to anyone who can tell me what they are and what kit and class. I'll even provide some hints.

One ____ (class)player uses ____(kit power) to drop cover shield and still do his main job effectively.

That same player can also use ____ (weapon) to clear most of the turrets and drones and possibly land some damage as well to players.

The second ____ (class) player uses _____ (game setting) while using a _____(kit power) to get rid of the mines. That same player would then quickly switch back to _____ (game setting)

If all went well this should take 5 seconds or less to clear pretty much if not all the bunker The other 3 players should be ready to cover you with full alphas ready to fire while the two bunker killers are doing their job.