Lt. Commander
# 21
04-09-2012, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radkip View Post
Well, I personally don't run with my fleet very often. They'll pull me in to heal every now and then, or I'll end up in a chance pug group with them, but I mostly just pug, heal idiots who stand in plasma fires and run off on their own and are generally just terrible players.

Bunkering is one of the most boring aspects of PvP as I like to shoot and kill stuff, not set up an impenetrable base. But it's a tactic that works, unless the opposing team has an engineer and a tactical officer who are worth anything.

And no, it's not the only tactic FES employs. They only employ it against targets that they deem as a worthy adversary. Most of the matches I've been in with them have been run and gun massacres for both sides.

Actually, when I use Tricorder Scan on a team mate who has Target Optics and the Gamma Quadrant Tribble buff, they usually spot stealthed targets coming from a mile away.
Yeah that is a good strategy as well but that still might not be enough perception for all the stealth stacking. I will have to test this out to see how much perception it adds up too. I am a cat and therefore missing firepower traits on my toon so I stick with radon tribble.
Lt. Commander
# 22
04-09-2012, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerx24
Now I disagree with you there. That's smart play and while it does suck I have been with teams and can defeat that setup if the the players and team are there to do it. So don't cry about them bunkering get a team of some great ground pvpers and lets do something about. I am up for it as always. Little hint the bulk of that bunker can be taken down is about seconds with just 2 players doing 3 actions.

Ill give 1 million energy credits to anyone who can tell me what they are and what kit and class. I'll even provide some hints.

One ____ (class)player uses ____(kit power) to drop cover shield and still do his main job effectively.

That same player can also use ____ (weapon) to clear most of the turrets and drones and possibly land some damage as well to players.

The second ____ (class) player uses _____ (game setting) while using a _____(kit power) to get rid of the mines. That same player would then quickly switch back to _____ (game setting)

If all went well this should take 5 seconds or less to clear pretty much if not all the bunker The other 3 players should be ready to cover you with full alphas ready to fire while the two bunker killers are doing their job.
Bunkers can be breached...but why? In an arena match we get no points for holding a spot. In the match I spoke of, both teams bunkered and sat there for over 5 minutes, no shots fired....REALLY?
Again, what is your point? Should we all carry Ghostbusters and throw grenades from shooter mode? Not necessary. The bunker cannot hurt me, so why bother attacking it?

Are you saying my team isn't any good? I PuG a lot, because we do not like to stomp PuGs. No point to it. We prefer to teach others the game, not take advantage of their newness.
Lt. Commander
# 23
04-09-2012, 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuccaneerDTB
The bunker cannot hurt me, so why bother attacking it?
Yes it can. A bunkered defense has the advantage of predetermined and planned positioning. You'll likely be getting flanked from both sides as you run in while the medic is out of sight healing the people who are being attacked.

Meanwhile while you're running in, you're taking more damage than the opposition, who are likely sitting on medical generators, crouching and have resistances piled up onto them from the healers. A breach team can not effectively do the same with the exception of the engineer who rushes in first to soak up all of the damage, provide a distraction and cause mayhem.

Quote:
That same player can also use ____ (weapon) to clear most of the turrets and drones and possibly land some damage as well to players.
This isn't something I've reviewed, but I'm assuming it's the grenade launcher weapon or the "ghostbuster", correct? Split Beams and cone attack weapons just don't seem powerful enough to do something like that.
Lt. Commander
# 24
04-09-2012, 01:38 PM
Quote:
Bunkers can be breached...but why? In an arena match we get no points for holding a spot. In the match I spoke of, both teams bunkered and sat there for over 5 minutes, no shots fired....REALLY?
Again, what is your point? Should we all carry Ghostbusters and throw grenades from shooter mode? Not necessary. The bunker cannot hurt me, so why bother attacking it?

Are you saying my team isn't any good? I PuG a lot, because we do not like to stomp PuGs. No point to it. We prefer to teach others the game, not take advantage of their newness.
Ah yes....the match against Tip of the Spear....I remember that one.Well,with both teams bunkering,one had to make the first move....and in this match it wasn't us.I do have to correct you on one thing though,the only FES member in that match was Sububu.....and happened to be on your team,and as I recall he wasn't a real asset to your team,ready to quit when the going got tough....and he couldn't keep your team alive while trying to breach our bunker.Tip of the Spear did give us a run for our money though.
Lt. Commander
# 25
04-09-2012, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radkip View Post
Yes it can. A bunkered defense has the advantage of predetermined and planned positioning. You'll likely be getting flanked from both sides as you run in
Like I said, I am not running in, it can't hurt me. You need to learn how to attack, not just sit in a bunker made by kit swapping engineers. I am NOT running in, it's stupid to expect a PuG to rush your premade fortifications.
Lt. Commander
# 26
04-09-2012, 01:56 PM
Last week we did FvK....and the Klingon team spawn camped like crazy,as we fought the same people over and over in each match,we had no choice but to bunker at our spawn point to prevent them from laying mines at our spawn and cloak/pulsewave farming our pugs.We kicked their hiney btw
Lt. Commander
# 27
04-09-2012, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARKFORCE View Post
Ah yes....the match against Tip of the Spear....I remember that one.Well,with both teams bunkering,one had to make the first move....and in this match it wasn't us.I do have to correct you on one thing though,the only FES member in that match was Sububu.....and happened to be on your team,and as I recall he wasn't a real asset to your team,ready to quit when the going got tough....and he couldn't keep your team alive while trying to breach our bunker.Tip of the Spear did give us a run for our money though.
Only 2 of us were in my fleet, the others were PuGs. We really don't like the Ghostbuster gun and rarely carry it. My plan was to draw someone out of the bunker, but the PuGs kept rushing in. I think the bunker strategy is best suited for maps with objectives, like Shanty Town. We would have a reason, need even, to breech a bunker set up at virus location that allowed opponent free access to it. But in Arena it serves no strategic purpose to attack a fortified bunker. Yes, a team could do it, and we may need to pack the old Ghostbusting gun.
Lt. Commander
# 28
04-09-2012, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Only 2 of us were in my fleet, the others were PuGs. We really don't like the Ghostbuster gun and rarely carry it. My plan was to draw someone out of the bunker, but the PuGs kept rushing in. I think the bunker strategy is best suited for maps with objectives, like Shanty Town. We would have a reason, need even, to breech a bunker set up at virus location that allowed opponent free access to it. But in Arena it serves no strategic purpose to attack a fortified bunker. Yes, a team could do it, and we may need to pack the old Ghostbusting gun.
About the PuGs I feel you man,it's like Gump's box of choclates,you never know what you're gonna get. And I would like to say it's always great to PvP against/with you guys,with Tip of the Spear you know you're going to get a fair fight.
Lt. Commander
# 29
04-09-2012, 02:19 PM
Quote:
I am NOT running in, it's stupid to expect a PuG to rush your premade fortifications.
Is it, though? People seem drawn to running into the meatgrinder and it gets at least two people per team every time running in endlessly, getting killed, and then yelling angrily at the end of the match.
Lt. Commander
# 30
04-09-2012, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by j0n4h
I totally agree with this. Used to be that grinding was something decent players didn't want to be accused of doing. Now it's essential -- integral -- to the game. I honestly cannot grasp how the endless repetition of PvE content is supposed to constitute entertainment. Yes, to each his own. Yes, there are always ways to make it fun. Yes, playing with friends or measuring your own improvement are great. But, come on.

And, yes, there are few things more frustrating than getting 'advice' from good people who mean well but are playing for reasons entirely different than your own.
I like to PuG the STFs, I make a lot of friends, and meet people who may be interested in learning LOLGround. Fun too is joining a failed optional that was abandoned by half the team and helping finish it. Reminds me of the good old days doing Terradome with just myself and CABrandt.