Lieutenant
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 91
# 1 Foundry Files Episode 2
10-08-2012, 01:02 PM
In Episode 2 of Foundry Files, we quickly cover a little bit of Foundry News, including a discussion on the Foundry and Exploration Content. Then we review the Grail of Kahless, and hit some info in Community Feedback on the Trailer Contest!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT-scsMCU18&feature=plcp

If you haven't voted yet, vote in our poll or send us your most wanted foundry asset to foundryfiles@gmail.com

http://jupiterforce.org/showthread.p...28Episode-1%29
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,054
# 2
10-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralmurphy1 View Post
In Episode 2 of Foundry Files, we quickly cover a little bit of Foundry News, including a discussion on the Foundry and Exploration Content. Then we review the Grail of Kahless, and hit some info in Community Feedback on the Trailer Contest!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT-scsMCU18&feature=plcp

If you haven't voted yet, vote in our poll or send us your most wanted foundry asset to foundryfiles@gmail.com

http://jupiterforce.org/showthread.p...28Episode-1%29
Wow. maybe someone will play this mission now. I bet it will get hit by the ratings system, lol. It really was light story, lots of combat, and not a lot of variety. Its fed equivalent is the new "Trojan Horse". I like to make a variety of mission, rather than have 5/5 categories of things for the players to do. So, this was my "Hey Klingons, go kill Cardassians. Pew Pew."

Thanks for picking this mission and taking about the Exploration revamp.


Hmm... not loading for me in youtube.


Edit: Ok, well...

A lot of fair critiques here. The mission needs some work. I didn't realize some kdf ships had no cloaks. Plus, I can't even play this mission with my own toon because he is so low. So a lot of really fair points are made, but also some unfair ones.

Most unfair though is that ratings system. It's like you guys praise a mission for not being so Cryptic and then you ask, "Does it have 5 of 5 things from our checklist?" If a mission doesn't need a puzzle, it doesn't need a puzzle. If one author excels at building but doesn't feel the need to touchstone, so be it. If another wants to build a Romulan Zoo for his kid, that's awesome.

You have a formula. Therefore, you ask for the formulaic. And then you score the recipe, asking if the ingredients are well-balanced.

I put a crap load of pepper on my french fries. And, in this example, I felt like trying to use the Foundry to build a city. I tacked on a slightly plausible story with touchstoning. I threw in some mobs. It didn't need characters. It didn't need puzzles. And it didn't need a longer space battle that was anti-climatic to the plot, imo.

See Cardassia Prime like you've never seen it before! Kill a bunch of bad guys. Play with friends. It's something unique to do in a game already built on a formula.

Last edited by kirksplat; 10-08-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 91
# 3
10-08-2012, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Most unfair though is that ratings system. It's like you guys praise a mission for not being so Cryptic and then you ask, "Does it have 5 of 5 things from our checklist?" If a mission doesn't need a puzzle, it doesn't need a puzzle. If one author excels at building but doesn't feel the need to touchstone, so be it. If another wants to build a Romulan Zoo for his kid, that's awesome.
Now do realize, (and here's a picture of our scoring system so you can see the details of how the mission is scored as explained in episode one http://s1115.photobucket.com/albums/...oringSheet.png) that puzzles are not scored at all, because they are not needed at all. We only check a box that says yes there was a puzzle, or no there wasn't. Now, ground and space gameplay scores tend to increase with puzzles just because it is a non-combat element, but a mission can still score well in non-combat without puzzles. Also, if a mission doesn't touchstone at all, that doesn't give them a zero. One the scoresheet there, a dependent story receives at ten. So if someone does a unique story that doesn't pull from past canon, that's fine.

We pick apart an entire mission and all of it's aspects using this system. No mission so far has scored perfectly in everything and that's the way it is supposed to be, because every mission out there has it's weaknesses and strengths, and using this system we've managed to find them. Now, that's why we actually talk about a mission and not just sitting there and reading off the scores the entire segment. There are missions out-there not intended to have the elements of gameplay in it and just to be dialog heavy reading sessions. In a summary we will say that so people who like that sort of stuff will go to it. However, our scoring system and our belief is that the best foundry missions out there will consist of great Story, Technical, and Gameplay. Now, that's not always needed to still have a blast playing a mission. In fact, in last weeks review for Havraha's mission it scored great in story, but not so good in tech. That was fine, because my enjoyment of the mission was so great it's still one of my personal favorites. Then on the other hand we have a mission in the top five of our scoring sheet that I personally didn't enjoy so much, but the quality was still pretty good to get it to that position.

A mission doesn't need to score all tens to be great (heck I never expected to get over 9, only happened with alimacs latest mission) In fact, an overall 7 is what we see as a pretty good or great mission, and yours scored a 6.9. A few minor tweaks to some issues would have probably put it there.

Sorry if you weren't happy with the review. Hopefully you'd still be fine if we cover Trojan Horse sometime in the future cause I did just see that today and told Ooiue about it. Looks really cool and we both really want to check out a shuttle mission that takes you inside a borg cube!
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,054
# 4
10-08-2012, 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralmurphy1 View Post
Now do realize, (and here's a picture of our scoring system so you can see the details of how the mission is scored as explained in episode one http://s1115.photobucket.com/albums/...oringSheet.png) that puzzles are not scored at all, because they are not needed at all. We only check a box that says yes there was a puzzle, or no there wasn't. Now, ground and space gameplay scores tend to increase with puzzles just because it is a non-combat element, but a mission can still score well in non-combat without puzzles. Also, if a mission doesn't touchstone at all, that doesn't give them a zero. One the scoresheet there, a dependent story receives at ten. So if someone does a unique story that doesn't pull from past canon, that's fine.

We pick apart an entire mission and all of it's aspects using this system. No mission so far has scored perfectly in everything and that's the way it is supposed to be, because every mission out there has it's weaknesses and strengths, and using this system we've managed to find them. Now, that's why we actually talk about a mission and not just sitting there and reading off the scores the entire segment. There are missions out-there not intended to have the elements of gameplay in it and just to be dialog heavy reading sessions. In a summary we will say that so people who like that sort of stuff will go to it. However, our scoring system and our belief is that the best foundry missions out there will consist of great Story, Technical, and Gameplay. Now, that's not always needed to still have a blast playing a mission. In fact, in last weeks review for Havraha's mission it scored great in story, but not so good in tech. That was fine, because my enjoyment of the mission was so great it's still one of my personal favorites. Then on the other hand we have a mission in the top five of our scoring sheet that I personally didn't enjoy so much, but the quality was still pretty good to get it to that position.

A mission doesn't need to score all tens to be great (heck I never expected to get over 9, only happened with alimacs latest mission) In fact, an overall 7 is what we see as a pretty good or great mission, and yours scored a 6.9. A few minor tweaks to some issues would have probably put it there.

Sorry if you weren't happy with the review. Hopefully you'd still be fine if we cover Trojan Horse sometime in the future cause I did just see that today and told Ooiue about it. Looks really cool and we both really want to check out a shuttle mission that takes you inside a borg cube!
Alright, sorry if I don't understand your complex review system. It just seemed like I was getting critiqued for not having 1 of everything, when I chose not to for specific reasons. It's certainly not my best mission.

Also, can I please make a few requests for this podcast?

Would it kill you guys to (at the very least) show some screenshots of the city when your taking about it, or use demorecord?

I'm going to be honest here. It's not fun to watch your heads. You could better illustrate what you're talking about. That would help with the production quality of the show.

No offense, guys. If you were hot chicks, I'd watch your webcam podcast. Right now, I minimize it and listen to it in the background. It's not comfortable to watch two talking heads.

There are video editing tools out there that aren't tough to learn. There are tools in the game that you can use.

You could really up the production quality of this stuff. I know that you're no stoked, but I don't want to watch two talking heads. I'd rather listen to you than watch you talk, if there is absolutely no effort put into illustrating what you're talking about.

Just my two cents.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 91
# 5
10-09-2012, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Would it kill you guys to (at the very least) show some screenshots of the city when your taking about it, or use demorecord?
I have final cut to edit this podcast so I can add that in, and was planning to, but we shot this episode Sunday and I only had part of monday to edit (which is why it wasn't as long as the other episode partly) already know how to do all of that, just need the time to edit all of that in.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:38 AM.