Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
04-08-2012, 06:37 AM
I remember hearing about this is 94 whilst I was at school, althoguh I admit I heard it was the Ent-d they were building back then (which would of been mental). I'm curious as to how they would of built it (as in how they would support the saucer and nacelles). If they were to make a ship, it would be more feasable to make the Defiant. :-)
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-08-2012, 07:50 AM
I wish the new attraction for the new ST Experience was made...few years ago it was supposed to get it's own building complex, etc off of Vegas...then the money issues...

Oh Well...I shall always remember when I used to go to the Experience...I still have the old shirts...
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-08-2012, 08:53 AM
Quote:
I remember hearing about this is 94 whilst I was at school, althoguh I admit I heard it was the Ent-d they were building back then (which would of been mental). I'm curious as to how they would of built it (as in how they would support the saucer and nacelles). If they were to make a ship, it would be more feasable to make the Defiant. :-)
There are some vague allusions to it in the blog post, but it seems they would need some additional support. But it could probably be done in a way that it's not too intrusive, at least from distance.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-08-2012, 10:16 AM
Sadly, I think I'd have to agree that this wasn't the greatest idea.

Structurally, a full-size Enterprise replica wouldn't have a Structural Integrity Field to fall back on. The neck and struts would have been terribly fragile and most likely the nacelles and possibly even the saucer section would have had to be inaccessible.

Could those problems be solved? Maybe. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near the thing in the event of an earthquake... don't know how tectonically stable that area is.

If it HAD resulted in a disaster, people would be lauding the man for his foresight.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-08-2012, 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post

Structurally, a full-size Enterprise replica wouldn't have a Structural Integrity Field to fall back on. The neck and struts would have been terribly fragile and most likely the nacelles and possibly even the saucer section would have had to be inaccessible.

Could those problems be solved? Maybe. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near the thing in the event of an earthquake... don't know how tectonically stable that area is.

If it HAD resulted in a disaster, people would be lauding the man for his foresight.
Building the Full Scale Replica so it appeared to be within a TMP Drydock, would have alleviated many of the structural problems.
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-08-2012, 11:27 AM
wow. just wow.
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-08-2012, 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post

If you use a turbolift, how do you know where you are on the actual, physical ship?
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-08-2012, 06:47 PM
this thing would cost in the mills if not bills so unless some billionaire wants to see it I don't see this going from a blueprint
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-08-2012, 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suricata View Post
That's what popped into my head, too (it was the most current Enterprise at the time, after all). The size of the ship would have made it one of the most ridiculously oversized buildings in the world... if they worked out how to make the saucer section not fall to pieces.
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-09-2012, 03:48 AM
Got to be kidding me, how could one man kill off the most awesome thing that the world could have seen two decades ago.