Lt. Commander
# 1 C-Store Excelsiors Question
04-08-2012, 08:55 AM
Been looking at doing either the Advanced Heavy Cruiser or the Excelsior Cruiser Retrofit ships in the C-Store. My question is regarding the transwarp differences between the two. The Advanced Heavy Cruiser seems to come with a console that lets you transwarp for free to any sector block within FED space that can put on any other cruiser. The Retrofit version seems to allow transwarp to more sector blocks but doesn't seem to do them all. Is the transwarp on the Retrofit version built in? I'm guessing there are no consoles that the Retrofit version comes with that I could put on a different ship correct? Also for any of those who have done one or the other if not both please feel free to share your experience as to what you would do. Thanks for the help!
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-08-2012, 09:02 AM
I got my Retrofit a long time ago and mine came with all the Transwarp destinations - couldn't tell you if they still do - the Retrofit doesn't come with a console though - it has its abilities built in.

The Tier 3 Excelsior does come with a console although the Transwarp ability is tied to the ship, not the console - all the console does is give you 50% cooldown time on any Transwarp destinations you may have plus a buff to Warp Core Efficiency.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-08-2012, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AegisPrime View Post
I got my Retrofit a long time ago and mine came with all the Transwarp destinations - couldn't tell you if they still do - the Retrofit doesn't come with a console though - it has its abilities built in.

The Tier 3 Excelsior does come with a console although the Transwarp ability is tied to the ship, not the console - all the console does is give you 50% cool-down time on any Transwarp destinations you may have plus a buff to Warp Core Efficiency.
I use these two ships extensively...

As stated above, the Transwarp Destinations are tied exclusively to these two ships only.

The T-3 gives you Three destinations and the T-5 gives you Nine.

As you rank up in Diplomacy CPX you gain three more destinations for the T-3, just like all the other ships

Plus, the WARP Core does stack with your DOff Astrometric Officer..., you can bring the CD down to 4 minutes from 15 when using both.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-08-2012, 09:07 AM
Good to know - thank you both for the responses!
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-08-2012, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyNY View Post
I use these two ships extensively...

As stated above, the Transwarp Destinations are tied exclusively to these two ships only.

The T-3 gives you Three destinations and the T-5 gives you Nine.

As you rank up in Diplomacy CPX you gain three more destinations for the T-3, just like all the other ships

Plus, the WARP Core does stack with your DOff Astrometric Officer..., you can bring the CD down to 4 minutes from 15 when using both.
You say you use both, I'm curious how well these two ships remain viable in combat as you level up? The T3 Excelsior, for instance, would suffer in terms of hull points as you hit Capt and then Admiral. Is there a way to keep it viable longer? I REALLY like my Excelsior and look forward to the retrofit when I hit Admiral and would like to use them over any other cruiser options I've seen but wonder about how to keep them combat worthy as I level... especially the T3. Thanks for any tips on this.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-08-2012, 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lomax6996
You say you use both, I'm curious how well these two ships remain viable in combat as you level up? The T3 Excelsior, for instance, would suffer in terms of hull points as you hit Capt and then Admiral. Is there a way to keep it viable longer? I REALLY like my Excelsior and look forward to the retrofit when I hit Admiral and would like to use them over any other cruiser options I've seen but wonder about how to keep them combat worthy as I level... especially the T3. Thanks for any tips on this.
I pretty much use the T-5 with my higher level toons.

Everytime a new Season comes out I start a new Fed. Alt..., I've used the T-3 version on all of them till they are able to claim the T-5.

Every once in a while, I pull out the T-3 on an Admiral, load it up with my best gear and go hunting in some of the BORG and Romulan DSE's.
(usually when I'm looking for lower level gear for a new Alt. or to garner some stuff to sell to vendors for quick & easy EC's)

Both versions of the Excelsior are pretty tough birds... they take a beating and can dish-out some good DPS when loaded with the right stuff.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-08-2012, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainedwards09
My question is regarding the transwarp differences between the two.
I will try to answer them...

Quote:
The Advanced Heavy Cruiser seems to come with a console that lets you transwarp for free to any sector block within FED space that can put on any other cruiser.
Well, no.
The Excelsior comes with a console that gives a bonus to Warp Core Efficiency and reduces the cooldown timer on Transwarp.

The Transwarp locations are build-in on the ship itself, not the console.

Quote:
The Retrofit version seems to allow transwarp to more sector blocks but doesn't seem to do them all.
Yes, some sectors are absent ... I suppose because they were added later and not had updated the Transwarp locations available.

Quote:
Is the transwarp on the Retrofit version built in?
The extra Transwarp locations are build in on both versions of the Excelsior.

However the Retrofit have more locations available.

Quote:
I'm guessing there are no consoles that the Retrofit version comes with that I could put on a different ship correct?
Correct, however I remind you the Transwarp Computer console will not give you the extra Transwarp locations, only a bonus to Warp Core Efficiency and reduction of the Transwarp cooldown timer.

Quote:
Also for any of those who have done one or the other if not both please feel free to share your experience as to what you would do. Thanks for the help!
Currently, its the best Tactical Cruiser.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-08-2012, 11:19 AM
the Retrofit does not give the bonus to power levels as the console does on the T3 version.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-08-2012, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyNY View Post
I pretty much use the T-5 with my higher level toons.

Everytime a new Season comes out I start a new Fed. Alt..., I've used the T-3 version on all of them till they are able to claim the T-5.

Every once in a while, I pull out the T-3 on an Admiral, load it up with my best gear and go hunting in some of the BORG and Romulan DSE's.
(usually when I'm looking for lower level gear for a new Alt. or to garner some stuff to sell to vendors for quick & easy EC's)

Both versions of the Excelsior are pretty tough birds... they take a beating and can dish-out some good DPS when loaded with the right stuff.
Thanks! Appreciate the answer. Doubly so since that's exactly what I wanted to hear heheheh. What sort of loadout works best for you with them? Beams? Banks? Torps? Any other suggestions on maxing it's damage resistance and firepower?
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-08-2012, 12:43 PM
As a Cruiser its Beams/Torps, the fact its more maneuverable that the Sovereign and have a higher Tactical station means you can actually use torpedoes.