Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Lt. Commander
Right now I'm running an assult cruiser with mk11 borg gear. Fore, Phase Dual beam bank and one beam array, 2 quantums, after, 2 arrays and 2 quantums. I'm going more for a balance between dmg and tank, but my tac powers i use a lot are power to weapons, high yield 2 and spread., As you can see i favor the quantums, but Im running RCS thursters with the breen engines for turn rate. I find I don't have a problem facing my ship toward me enemy or away to use the launchers so....

I was thinking of running this setup on an Excelsior retrofit, and when I get that, i might turn the soverign into more of a beam boat with 3 fore and 4 rear beam arrays.. or maybe 3 and 3.

Any suggestions?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-09-2012, 01:32 AM
Replaces the extra torps on forward and aft with beams.

The more beams, the faster the shields of your foe is reduced. When weaken, the torps break the hull.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-09-2012, 01:45 AM
standart and foolproof setup is 6 beams 2 torpedos, but i guess for stf's your setup has some advantages against the many unshielded targets.
what a cruiser laggs are potent abilities like spread 3, but you should run atleast a spread 2. i found out that sci ships are cool torpedo boats if u use some shield nutralizing abilities.
i have a Kar'fi carrier with 3 plasma torpedo's, but thats only good for PVE. Plasmas do alot of shield penetrating dmg, more than transphasic actually.
u should try a sci ship with power drain abilities and 3 torpedo tubes, does pretty good in PVE...PVP i have no experiance.

The nebula would be the best choice for that in my opinion.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-09-2012, 02:06 AM
im running my Sovereign cruiser with

fore: 2 beam array and 2 quantum torpedo
aft: 2 beam array and 2 quantum torpedo

Liking it

Sovereign is pretty agile anyway I mean as cruiser.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-09-2012, 02:51 AM
Glad I'm not the only one doing it. Yeah, i would never do it on a galaxy class. I do spend a decent amount of getting her mannuverable but its mostly my front and rear facing targets. Sometimes i broadside while im waiting for torps to reload or a cooldown to be ready but, even then, i stay broadside, turn slightly then fire and repeat.

I know quantums are awesome against the hull, like any other torpedo, but they take down shields like no other too.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-09-2012, 03:08 AM
I like Torpedoes (if only for the classic visual of them spreading out against some unsuspecting Klingon D7 pod (3 ship unit)
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-09-2012, 03:42 AM
I have a Galaxy-X and run a dual beam array, beam array and two quantum up front and three beam array with a quantum out back.

Since a lot of battles in missions and fleets go round in circles, I can charge head-one and unleash a devastating volley for my first attack. Fly past the enemy and use my rear weapons. And when we do the synchronized circle dance, hit them from the sides and rear with four beam arrays.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-09-2012, 03:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax
I like Torpedoes (if only for the classic visual of them spreading out against some unsuspecting Klingon D7 pod (3 ship unit)
I love them aswell, altho nobody seems to b willing to share there torp boat setup :p
Lt. Commander
# 9 ultimately
04-09-2012, 03:57 AM
You will find that after a while your current build will morph to suit your needs, while the torps sound cool atm, understand that for ultimate dps...they may not be as great as other builds I have seen.

Again it all depends on what makes you happy, and you WILL tweak and twist yer build multiple times the more you play and learn.

Do what makes ya happy....just go into the understanding that in doing so you may get blown up easier than if you haven't.

Took me a year and a half and combing these threads to come up with works for me...good luck.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-09-2012, 07:56 PM
I prefer one Torp Fore and One Torp Aft. In PvE, I guess it doesn't really matter but in PvP, if you can't bring their shields down, torpedoes are useless.