Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Lt. Commander
Someone who's good at slowing/stunning/stopping the enemy

Problem is, I don't really know what the moves all do and cant afford to find all the rare ones on exchange to keep testing them. If someone could give me some pointers that would be awesome
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-08-2012, 11:16 PM
Tractor repulsion, gravity well, and if you can find on the universal graviton pulse generator consule if aa good place to start, it is my specialty.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-08-2012, 11:19 PM
If you can, find a graviton pulse generator. It came in the lockboxes, but it's INCREDIBLY useful at shutting down a bunch of enemies at once.

That, and then I'd make sure you'd have a tractor beam, TESS, and eject warp plasma, for certain.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-09-2012, 12:08 AM
Hmm, I think the only ships that would let you have both Eject Warp Plasma and Gravity Well are the Magellan and Odyssey, though you can do just fine with an RSV or DSSV, depending what ensign you want. Nothing else lets you have LtCmdr Engineer and Sci together.

Between the two, I prefer Gravity Well, as it lets you activate your main CC at range instead of having to get close enough to 'crop dust,' particularly when doing so with the speed of a cruiser. Also be sure to slot a good Gravimetric Scientist for the chance for one GW to spawn others, and a Tractor Beam Officer so your hold also drains shields. And of course I know some people swear by Tyken's Rift for debuffing, but that isn't as strictly CC as GW is.

As for weapons you'll probably want either (phased) polaron or (polarized) tetryon. If you're doing CC you're likely part of a team I'm guessing, and as a science ship you won't have the firepower to be the heavy hitter. On the other hand shield-stripping makes a good complimentary ability to CC, hence weapons with power and shield drain. And there's always the Tetryon Glider from the Omega set, if you have the EDC resources to go all-in that way, plus a complete set gives you the Gravitic Anchor as well.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-09-2012, 01:55 AM
Sorry I should have clarified I mean Ground combat sci officer
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-09-2012, 02:01 AM
Crowd control for ground sucks. Stick to healing and debuffs. Engineers have more ability to crowd control then sci imho.

space, another matter alltogether.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-10-2012, 03:38 AM
So would a third turreter or a second healer be better?
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-11-2012, 12:39 AM
Just out of curiosity, are you meaning a PC or a BOFF? If a player captain, run, flee, do not look back. Science is about to get beaten to death by the nerf stick, so that DPS can do better. If you mean a Boff it is dependent, I don't trust/use my crew as anything more than dps/support. Also it depends on play style and your own class. I've run a 4 tac grenade crew with a sci officer for heals a 3 engie turret of doom crew with 2 science for support/heals/debuff and a 2/2/1 set up as well. All of them are fun in different ways, all of them can be a blast, but all of them can get plastered at times as well. My suggestion, get as many white common boffs as you can and play around with them, as you learn you will then figure out what you want to do and how you want to play. BOFF's can be a bit hard to learn but you can do so many fun combo's it does make it worth it.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-11-2012, 01:52 PM
Here are the abilities that might be useful on a BOFF for crowd control:

Electro-Gravitic Field: Produces an AoE Root or Slow centered on the target

Anesthizene Gas: Produces an AoE Slow and Damage debuff centered on the target, 50% chance of brief Stun

Stasis Field: Produces an AoE fragile Hold centered on the target

Neural Neutralizer: Produces an AoE Placate centered on the character using it

Sonic Pulse: Produces an AoE Knockback, Interrupt, and moderate damage centered on the character using it

Hyperonic Radiation: Produces an AoE damage-over-time effect centered on the target.

A Science Captain also has access to:

Dampening Field: Produces an AoE Damage debuff centered on the target

Exothermic Induction Field: Produces a powerful AoE damage-over-time effect centered on the target. This ability is strong enough to one-shot weaker NPCs if you have the Mk X level kit and have at least three levels in the kit-boosting ground skill. Think of it as the Science equivalent to Orbital Strike, and you won't be far off.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-13-2012, 12:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuui View Post
Just out of curiosity, are you meaning a PC or a BOFF? .
BOFF's

I have a lvl 50 of each class, and for each I run with 2 sci and 2 eng. Both engineers have shield repair I and levels I,II and III of turrets

1 science has med triquarder I,II and III and vascular regen III

the other sciences have diff skills on each character cause I've been trying to test some of the crowd control skills. This character feels like a wasted spot on every single roster. never seems to have much of an impact. I don't notice much stunning or holding going on no matter the skills