Lt. Commander
# 1 No Sound for 2 months
04-09-2012, 05:30 AM
I have been without any sound on STO for nearly 2 months now and it is starting to get on my nerves. I do not have a realtek sound card that I found some mention of trouble with and all my drivers are up to date. I also saw that post about disabling the sound test and tried that. It didn't help. I had sound when I first started playing but...

If anyone has some advice it would be greatly appreciated.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-09-2012, 07:11 AM
Did you check your audio settings in the options menu?
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-09-2012, 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajstoner
I have been without any sound on STO for nearly 2 months now and it is starting to get on my nerves. I do not have a realtek sound card that I found some mention of trouble with and all my drivers are up to date. I also saw that post about disabling the sound test and tried that. It didn't help. I had sound when I first started playing but...

If anyone has some advice it would be greatly appreciated.
do you have your sound running through an hdmi cable or an audio cable?
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-09-2012, 02:11 PM
Everything is set correctly in options, yes. I have tried the game with both external speakers and the machine's internal ones (I have a Gateway laptop). It had work for the first few weeks I played but eventually just stopped working. I believe it was after a patch but couldn't say when exactly, there have been quite a few since then.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-09-2012, 04:02 PM
oh it's a gateway well that changes everything just **** on it and it'll work lol j/k

Is the audio working correctly for everything else and it's just STO that isn't playing any audio or is this a system wide error?

If it's a system wide error then chances are it's just an audio driver error and redownloading the driver from gateway and then uninstalling/reinstalling the driver should work.

IF this is an STO only problem then try resetting all game options to default through the options menu. If you are using windows 7 then try running the troubleshooting for audio. It should give you an option for troubleshoot audio problems with a specific program.

Also check windows update to make sure there isn't a new audio driver, or a hotfix for a known audio issue that may include your computer.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-09-2012, 05:35 PM
Yes, it is an STO only issue. I run Vista, sadly, not 7. There have been very few updates to Vista in recent months; I don't believe there have been any since this started happening.

I have also done a "Force Verify" and even disabled on-demand patching at one point and pre-loaded everything to see if that would help; nothing did.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-09-2012, 09:34 PM
Are you using other programs while using STO? Like Skype, Team Speak? Both of those programs have a 80% voice reduction built into them. Have you altered your settings in those programs?
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-09-2012, 10:59 PM
I run STO by itself. Don't have skype, have TS3 but never run it with sto.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-10-2012, 03:59 PM
If you're running sto through steam, do you have any audio problems with other steam games? Steam has it's own audio volume control.

Try right clicking on the speaker icon at the bottom right of your screen and open the volume mixer. Make sure the steam slider looks happy.

(One game I was in decided to mute it. I was flustered for about an hour trying to figure out what happened. )
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-10-2012, 08:59 PM
Try setting the audio device choice to 'Default' instead of the specific audio card. In the last few patches the specific card choice has actually been the default, and has been reseting on me. The specific card choice tends to cause the audio to break up, or not work entirely for me.