Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
04-09-2012, 03:32 PM
If i remember right from the tutorial the cercumstances are explained in it, abaut how a Federation Ensing becomes a ship captain while beeing ensing/lth he commands away team aswell. Personaly i feel myself / play like a commander/capin aswell, who still gets his hands dirty at times. Admiral is just silly imo Your not an admiral at all, from the missions you do araound and stuff, your just like a commander or a captain at max.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
04-09-2012, 03:34 PM
I think a system like this *might* work, but would require a complete rebuild of the entire game from the ground up. Players in general don't want to play Ensign Nubnub grinding experience down in the transporter waiting for the ship to get somewhere for the Captain to order some away party to beam down. They want to play as the Captain. And that is what this game has given to us. From levels 1-50 we're playing Captains (despite what the "ranks" say).

But how about this:

Make STO so that the "player character" is not the Captain, but the entire crew as an "ensemble cast".
  • While in space, the player plays as the ship (we already do this).
  • While on ground or interior maps, we select which member of our crew to play as.
    • This would require some sort of system to switch which characters we're playing as, and is probably the most prohibiting tech change.
    • However, it would also mean that players would have more options in selecting away teams. (IE, you don't have to have your Captain always beaming down and doing everything themself)
    • If you add a chance for permadeath, it gives reasons to switch up your away teams from time to time, and train up reserve BOffs that would normally just sit gathering dust.
      • If your "Captain" dies, you can promote another BOff (like your XO) to be CO, and cycle through your crew.
      • This would not only add a dynamic for players to switch up their away teams, but their entire crew would be continuously evolving over time.
    • Since we're talking about promoting BOffs to Captain, there would have to be some change to the current way powers are doled out.
      • There has already been talk about "customizing kit powers". I think this would essentially work the same way, with the BOff powers translating into the various kit powers or vice versa
      • CO (Commanding Officer) toons get the additional class powers player captains currently have (space & ground)
      • XO (Executive Officer) toons get two of the current class powers player captains currently have appropriate for the toon's class (for ground primarily plus whatever space powers are in store for the upcoming Department Head system)
      • Department Head toons get one of the current class powers player captains currently have appropriate for the toon's class (for ground primarily plus whatever space powers are in store for the upcoming Department Head system)
      • playing as any other BOff just gets you the kit powers.

So there you go. A way to continue playing as your Captain for ground missions if you want, and a way for you to play as your other crew members if you feel that is more appropriate for whatever you're doing. This puts the choice squarely in the player's hands.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
04-09-2012, 04:22 PM
Not in love with the idea. I choose where my ship goes and what missions my ship undertakes, I would have trouble suspending my disbelief if I weren't captain. Plus, you're describing a game where you spend levels 1-50 working for a lazy fob who delegates everything to you.

Nah, I'd rather be a camera hungry ham like Captain Kirk who puts himself in every shot and every situation.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
04-09-2012, 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zomb1 View Post
If i remember right from the tutorial the cercumstances are explained in it, abaut how a Federation Ensing becomes a ship captain while beeing ensing/lth he commands away team aswell. Personaly i feel myself / play like a commander/capin aswell, who still gets his hands dirty at times. Admiral is just silly imo Your not an admiral at all, from the missions you do araound and stuff, your just like a commander or a captain at max.
I'm not saying it's not explained.

I'm saying the stupidity we're sometimes forced into in leveling missions and cases of BO ordering us around would make more sense if everything we did in the missions was under the orders of our commanding officer (who takes the flak for being stupid) and he was legitimately giving us orders.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
04-09-2012, 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermbot View Post
Not in love with the idea. I choose where my ship goes and what missions my ship undertakes, I would have trouble suspending my disbelief if I weren't captain. Plus, you're describing a game where you spend levels 1-50 working for a lazy fob who delegates everything to you.

Nah, I'd rather be a camera hungry ham like Captain Kirk who puts himself in every shot and every situation.
You don't REALLY choose while leveling. Questgivers TELL you where to go and they do so in linear sequence.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
04-09-2012, 04:35 PM
Just putting a smaller spin on this, what if they made it so that in a remastered "Dived et Impera" so that T'nae relieves us of command and assumes Captaincy and we have the opportunity to object to the orders being given there?

In general, I see LOTS of objections to what we're forced to do in missions but a LOT there.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
04-10-2012, 05:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidius View Post
One of the tings that really irritates me with the game is this: I'm an Admiral. So why is a freaking Lt. (Karbo) giving me orders to patrol the B'Tran cluster?
Because radio operators aren't generally Admirals? In STIV one admiral made a decision and a large bank of ensigns and lieutenants with headsets sent orders to affected ships, the admiral wasn't personally on the line until Kirk declared his intent to disobey orders.

My great grandfather was a T/5 - had Corporal stripes but not the equivalent authority. His authority was equivalent to whoever signed the order he was carrying or transmitting - meaning he got to give orders to people far above his pay grade, he just loved telling the story of when some brigadier general almost lost his rank for telling him off before checking the signature. In theory, someone of his rank could have given orders to all but four people in the entire war despite having the lowest personal authority of any rank.

Generals only spend six hours on the radio personally giving orders to every unit in their command in the movies, and even the movies generally give him a radio operator.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
04-10-2012, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
Because radio operators aren't generally Admirals? In STIV one admiral made a decision and a large bank of ensigns and lieutenants with headsets sent orders to affected ships, the admiral wasn't personally on the line until Kirk declared his intent to disobey orders.

My great grandfather was a T/5 - had Corporal stripes but not the equivalent authority. His authority was equivalent to whoever signed the order he was carrying or transmitting - meaning he got to give orders to people far above his pay grade, he just loved telling the story of when some brigadier general almost lost his rank for telling him off before checking the signature. In theory, someone of his rank could have given orders to all but four people in the entire war despite having the lowest personal authority of any rank.

Generals only spend six hours on the radio personally giving orders to every unit in their command in the movies, and even the movies generally give him a radio operator.
You know what?

You've just made a helluva point. It makes sense; I just wish the writing lent itself more towards that conclusion. But it was probably the intent of the writers to have Karbo and such say "There are new orders from Admiral So-and-So to..."
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:01 AM.