Lt. Commander
# 1 KDF and why it's not played
04-11-2012, 11:32 AM
KDF 'originality' is what players throw around that are supposed to draw in players. But players dont play KDF for a few reasons.

Presentation- KDF is presented as a very crude race. Only the hard core trek fans play them. (I am not a hard core trek fan).

Color of overview being locked to red- Very displeasing to the eyes, Makes me feel I'm in a submarine awaiting night time surface.

First city is very confusing- I've spent way too much time trying to hunt down people and locations for bank/shipyard.

KDF should be available at the start, same as federation- Some people just dont want to mess with another faction after playing federation. Just like another captain, I just can't be arsed to grind again. So the whole you must play one faction to x level to play x faction is very problematic.

I would love to play KDF, and no... It's not the carriers that make the faction. It's the true warships. What needs done is the presentation of the KDF faction be less depressing. And the coloring be less 'exciting'. I just can't focus on the game when I'm staring at bright red! You have to really consider the psychological effect that blue and red has on the player. I like many players (I am assuming here) play STO to relax. And the starfleet blue helps with just that. So while I'm on the KDF side, I feel restless and don't feel like setting here playing.

So what does the color have to do with popularity?
the blue kind of relaxes your mind, lowering circulation and has a relaxing effect. This alone is the major draw to the federation side- not the ships/game play, but the color!
Red promotes circulation and increases mood, it makes one restless, and makes getting up and out to do other things more... appealing.

*puts on flame suit*

KDF doesn't need more 'content', or more ships. It needs the ability to change the color scheme to one more pleasing to a 'i want to play sto' mindset. I seriously want to go mow the lawn after 30 minutes of playing KDF....
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-11-2012, 12:34 PM
IMO, the overbearing red does need to be toned down... just a tad. Maybe some other UI colors to help for clarity - such as blue UI for Fed targets, red or orange for KDF and yellow/green for everything else. It would certainly help my targeting amongst all the spam.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-11-2012, 12:36 PM
I get that the KDF issue is important, but do we need 23,456 threads on the subject at the same time ?
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-11-2012, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaqua
IMO, the overbearing red does need to be toned down... just a tad. Maybe some other UI colors to help for clarity - such as blue UI for Fed targets, red or orange for KDF and yellow/green for everything else. It would certainly help my targeting amongst all the spam.
Are you kidding? The "red" is totally Klingon because they evolved around a Red Giant. I thought everyone knew that?
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-11-2012, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixboox View Post
Are you kidding? The "red" is totally Klingon because they evolved around a Red Giant. I thought everyone knew that?
why it exists doesn't matter, what the problem is that some, myself included have problems with the UI due to color. for me, its actually both sides in some ways.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-11-2012, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixboox View Post
lol OH! Is that the reason? :p

Well, I like the red, no doubt - it's just when everything is the same color it makes it more difficult than necessary to find stuff on the UI. Just IMO.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-11-2012, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Issueman
KDF 'originality' is what players throw around that are supposed to draw in players. But players dont play KDF for a few reasons.

Presentation- KDF is presented as a very crude race. Only the hard core trek fans play them. (I am not a hard core trek fan).

Color of overview being locked to red- Very displeasing to the eyes, Makes me feel I'm in a submarine awaiting night time surface.

First city is very confusing- I've spent way too much time trying to hunt down people and locations for bank/shipyard.

KDF should be available at the start, same as federation- Some people just dont want to mess with another faction after playing federation. Just like another captain, I just can't be arsed to grind again. So the whole you must play one faction to x level to play x faction is very problematic.

I would love to play KDF, and no... It's not the carriers that make the faction. It's the true warships. What needs done is the presentation of the KDF faction be less depressing. And the coloring be less 'exciting'. I just can't focus on the game when I'm staring at bright red! You have to really consider the psychological effect that blue and red has on the player. I like many players (I am assuming here) play STO to relax. And the starfleet blue helps with just that. So while I'm on the KDF side, I feel restless and don't feel like setting here playing.

So what does the color have to do with popularity?
the blue kind of relaxes your mind, lowering circulation and has a relaxing effect. This alone is the major draw to the federation side- not the ships/game play, but the color!
Red promotes circulation and increases mood, it makes one restless, and makes getting up and out to do other things more... appealing.

*puts on flame suit*

KDF doesn't need more 'content', or more ships. It needs the ability to change the color scheme to one more pleasing to a 'i want to play sto' mindset. I seriously want to go mow the lawn after 30 minutes of playing KDF....
The KDF is being played; itís just not being played by the masses.

Itís strange that some people believe that the UI color is a big enough reason not to play the faction; I donít even notice the UI color on either side.

If players are finding it hard to locate things in 1st city they must not be reading the signs that direct them to pretty much everything.

IMO the reason that the KDF faction does not see the same size player base has the Fed side is because itís being treated like the after though faction by the Devs.

If there were more things to do on the KDF side there would be more players even if the UI was pink.

The lack of PVE content coupled with the constant backtracking of Cryptic on what direction the KDF faction was going to be taken has pretty much squashed any interest that any casual player might have had about delving into the KDF.

To the casual gamer the KDF faction = the side with the Carriers and thatís about it.

If the KDF had half of the Story Pve content that the Feds have there would be more players rolling KDF toons just to play thorough the story.

Content is what would drive players to the KDF and content is what would keep them coming back.

It seems like Cryptic is lost looking for a forest in a field of trees when it comes to the KDF Faction.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-11-2012, 01:56 PM
OP: What you say about Blue and Red is true. Red is unnerving which is why Red teams and such tend to win more often because the color unsettles their opponents. It would be perhaps better if the interface was more "Black with Red Highlights" or maybe the traditional "Copper Oxide Ship Plating Green" color with Red Highlights.

I, for one, am not at all bothered by the Red and maybe having it make you feel more angsty and uncomfortable is a good thing. Klingons are not supposed to feel "Comfortable" or "Relaxed".
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-11-2012, 02:11 PM
only thing i can agree to is the RED dear god why such a beautiful game has such an ugly UI slapped on top of it is beyond me. That goes for both factions, the ui is clunky, ugly and has little sci fi feel to it at all, and the saddest part is visually STO is stunning on a decent rig, it's like putting a fire engine red frame around the mona lisa and then criss crossing red tuck tape across the painting.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-11-2012, 03:21 PM
I think the overall point that's being missed is that a monochrome UI, whatever color it happens to be, is not conducive to effective gameplay.