Lt. Commander
# 131
04-11-2012, 05:29 PM
There are literally pages and pages of perfect examples of your complex. This is one of my favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
No. I'm not. You have no right or standing to question my superior knowledge of how stories work and yet you persist.

The amount of disrespect you're showing me is absolutely shocking. I deserve to be considered an authority, probably THE authority on these forums. I've worked my tail off for this, put everything on the line for this, and yet you evade intellectual arguments and attempts at scholarly discussion, grasping for counter-examples, each of which is wrong and yet you just come back with more.

You should absolutely lie down and totally concede.

There is no room for debate or discussion. This isn't a matter of opinion. This is about indisputable truth for which there is no room for discussion on the level you've chosen to have it. Since you refuse to elevate the discourse and you refuse to concede, I'm done with you.

Story structure is not a matter of opinion. It is my life's work and I will not be challenged lightly over it.

Welcome to my ignore list.

Good day, sir.
Intellectuals do not troll forums claiming to be intellectuals. Superior you may claim to be, we have all proven you far from it.

If you need to tell people you are smart... chances are you are not.
Lt. Commander
# 132
04-11-2012, 06:23 PM
Quote:
I wasn't doing this poll for Cryptic. I was doing this poll for me to gauge my own biases, as stated in the OP. Jeez. The prime purpose of these forums is to brainstorm in good faith. If I wanted to conduct polling for Cryptic or to get Cryptic's attention, I wouldn't have done it through this thread.

I've never claimed to be superior to anyone.

I have ONE area I've spent my adult life on. I think I'm entitled to form opinions which take precedent on that one area, for which I gave numerous scholarly examples, and that those DO take precedent over gut feelings.

I don't go telling rocket scientists how to do their job and I don't think it's fair for people to dismiss what I say on my one area of study when I'm citing genuine scholarship. You don't have the right to tell me about about that one area and if you do, I expect you to start turning up with articles, books, and scholarship to back up your position.

I can claim the high ground on something I've made a legitimate and serious study of. But I'm not claiming the high ground on everything.
Point me to your articles, books, and scholarship to back up your position.

edit: btw, I already shown a real world situation where a RA commanded a ship. But you "conveniently" ignored it in that other thread on this subject.
Lt. Commander
# 133
04-11-2012, 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm-Strike
Point me to your articles, books, and scholarship to back up your position.

edit: btw, I already shown a real world situation where a RA commanded a ship. But you "conveniently" ignored it in that other thread on this subject.
I'm not concerned with the real world or real admirals.

I am concerned with narratology. The analysis of how stories are constructed. Which I think is a discipline you don't respect. Specifically, my training is with applying narratological principle applied performance works as a theatrical dramaturgue, marketing consultant, and classroom instructor.

A story with a high status lead is fundamentally a different story than the story of a hero who bridges high and low status, which is what Kirk, Picard, Sisko, and Janeway all do and classical folklore and mythological heroes do. They fall into the shamanic arc with careers that are composed of serial episodes like John Tales or Jack Tales (James T. Kirk is like some versions of Jack, in particular) and their career constitutes a story cycle.

Glancing at the shelf under my computer, I'm looking at Joseph Campbell's Hero With a Thousand Faces, a handful of books by Marie-Louse von Franz on her model of Jungian story analysis, Lewis Hyde's Trickster Makes This World.

I don't think you can really grasp the nuances of how stories are constructed without reading lots of books about archetypal psychology, lots of journal articles, have an education in folklore, linguistics, textual analysis, etc. It's not something any person can just have an opinion about.

I don't care what title or rank you have at this point.

No human being deserves to be treated with cynicsm or rudeness under any circumstances. Period. Strangers and people on the internet, especially, should be treated with kindness and openness and you have not expressed either towards me and have only become more rude the more distress I show, when defensiveness and distress should only provoke kindness and sympathy.

I do not understand why you would express doubt and skepticism of another human being in a friendly setting like this. I do not understand why you hound me or why you would interact with another person with any intent aside from comfort and camaraderie and good conversation.

You don't seem like a gentle, giving, or trusting person, all of which should be required behavior on a forum like this. I don't believe it is right for you to bully me, especially not on a message board and especially not as a stranger, someone who deserves a bit of extra trust and kindness as a stranger.
Lt. Commander
# 134
04-11-2012, 09:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus.Kalidor View Post
There are literally pages and pages of perfect examples of your complex. This is one of my favourites:

Intellectuals do not troll forums claiming to be intellectuals. Superior you may claim to be, we have all proven you far from it.

If you need to tell people you are smart... chances are you are not.
People do not have a right to call eachother liars on the internet.

Strangers deserve trust within a community and I've said nothing that warrants your distrust.
Lt. Commander
# 135
04-11-2012, 09:33 PM
Quote:

Strangers deserve trust within a community and I've said nothing that warrants your distrust.
to "AC noting is true everything is permitted
Lt. Commander
# 136
04-11-2012, 09:37 PM
Quote:
I'm not concerned with the real world or real admirals.

I am concerned with narratology. The analysis of how stories are constructed. Which I think is a discipline you don't respect. Specifically, my training is with applying narratological principle applied performance works as a theatrical dramaturgue, marketing consultant, and classroom instructor.

A story with a high status lead is fundamentally a different story than the story of a hero who bridges high and low status, which is what Kirk, Picard, Sisko, and Janeway all do and classical folklore and mythological heroes do. They fall into the shamanic arc with careers that are composed of serial episodes like John Tales or Jack Tales (James T. Kirk is like some versions of Jack, in particular) and their career constitutes a story cycle.

Glancing at the shelf under my computer, I'm looking at Joseph Campbell's Hero With a Thousand Faces, a handful of books by Marie-Louse von Franz on her model of Jungian story analysis, Lewis Hyde's Trickster Makes This World.

I don't think you can really grasp the nuances of how stories are constructed without reading lots of books about archetypal psychology, lots of journal articles, have an education in folklore, linguistics, textual analysis, etc. It's not something any person can just have an opinion about.

I don't care what title or rank you have at this point.

No human being deserves to be treated with cynicsm or rudeness under any circumstances. Period. Strangers and people on the internet, especially, should be treated with kindness and openness and you have not expressed either towards me and have only become more rude the more distress I show, when defensiveness and distress should only provoke kindness and sympathy.

I do not understand why you would express doubt and skepticism of another human being in a friendly setting like this. I do not understand why you hound me or why you would interact with another person with any intent aside from comfort and camaraderie and good conversation.

You don't seem like a gentle, giving, or trusting person, all of which should be required behavior on a forum like this. I don't believe it is right for you to bully me, especially not on a message board and especially not as a stranger, someone who deserves a bit of extra trust and kindness as a stranger.
So you haven't actually written any books? And those are minor reads from what's under my desk. Means nothing. Your looking down on people also means nothing. You are a troll obviously or you seriously do need therapy.
Lt. Commander
# 137
04-11-2012, 09:41 PM
Quote:

You haven't shown a lick of trust or respect to anyone.
Lt. Commander
# 138
04-11-2012, 09:50 PM
Bottom line:

Okay.

I am a diagnosed autistic with a serious anxiety disorder and low maturity in some social settings. If that makes you happy to have noticed that I respond oddly under stress and that you have bullied me into a corner, so be it. If it makes you feel good to know that people showing mistrust or skepticism towards me gives me panic attacks and sends me into meltdown, so be it. I am not normal. I am fragile. You should assume strangers ARE fragile and treat them gently and with kindness.

I am also one class away from my Master's degree, I've spent 13 years studying story structure, I have a perfect SAT verbal, 90th percentile GRE, and a 144 IQ. I don't care if you believe me at this point. I don't think anything about that is extraordinary aside from the particular area of academic focus I've chosen and I suspect that describes most of these forums, most of whom I assume DO have high IQs and good SAT scores.

I think pretty much all of that is probably pretty typical for these forums. Pretty much everything I described is what I would assume the typical STO poster is like. There's nothing extraordinary there that demands extraordinary proof.

Freely admitting that I am not psychologically normal (and you should approach people assuming they are fragile) and prone to panic attacks and extreme frustration. If you want to call it mental illness, feel free. I get by fine in terms of what I have to get done outside these forums. But you have no right to provoke the mentally ill or exploit people's psychological instabilities and vulnerabilities.

Maybe you didn't know. Maybe you are just insensitive.

I am telling you right now.

I have outlined my status. I have elaborated that you are causing me emotional and psychological distress.

I am a member of protected groups under the forum rules and under the law. Pursuing this further constitutes cyber-bullying, violates forum rules regarding protected groups, and raises issues regarding discrimination, which I will pursue to the full measure afforded to me.

I do not feel I've been treated with kindness, sensitivity, or generosity, all of which should be due to strangers who are part of a community. I feel I've been greeted with skepticism and had my character and reputation called into question over my level of maturity, in spite of a lengthy history as a profoundly active and devoted community member. Maturity should not be a prerequisite for respect under these circumstances.

Show me some decency and respect or leave me alone but persist and I will consider any subsequent attacks to be discrimination and cyber-bullying, which I will forward to any relevant authorities.
Lt. Commander
# 139
04-11-2012, 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm-Strike
So you haven't actually written any books? And those are minor reads from what's under my desk. Means nothing. Your looking down on people also means nothing. You are a troll obviously or you seriously do need therapy.
The latter. And that should not disqualify me from participating on these forums or give you a right to judge me or treat me rudely.

I have a right to be openly mentally ill, if the term pleases you, and not suffer judgement or condemnation for it.
Lt. Commander
# 140
04-11-2012, 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warduke73 View Post
Heck yeah! Where are my missions that require me to sit at my desk all day and ogle my secretary? Gimme Gimme!
What do you wanna do that for...?...

When you can be out starin' at the behinds of yer All Female away-team, dressed to the nines with the skimpest outfits available in the C-Store.

Closed Thread