Lt. Commander
# 161
04-12-2012, 12:42 PM
I gotta question; Is there any way to report an actual thread? Because I need to report this one; It is getting out of hand, and just plain rude. I'm hoping it will be locked soon.
Lt. Commander
# 162
04-12-2012, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Where did you see any attempt at a defence or legal statements?
It wasn't about legality, it was about the fact that it's not your place, nor mine, to punish him. A murderer certainly shouldn't be killed in retaliation (except perhaps by the authorities, or in self defense). You murdering a murderer in response is equivalent to you being rude to a person for being rude. Neither is the appropriate course of action.

Edit: Also need to clarify, I was saying that you were acting as though you were his judge. I didn't say that your statement necessarily referred to something legal, just that you're acting as though you are his judge -- and you're not.

Quote:
It was an example. It just happened to be the first example that came to mind. Hence the statement that it was an extreme example. There is however nothing untrue about it.
No, it's not necessarily untrue. Just that it's not your place to decide, in the analogy, or in this situation. At least it's not your place on moral grounds. The course you're taking is not the best one. Being rude only accomplishes a worse situation, is that your goal? If it is not, then can you please elaborate on what it accomplishes? You being rude to the OP does not punish him, as it does not have any real affect on him. All it does is aggravate him and the situation, which just makes everything worse.

Quote:
People can wrong people regardless of who/what/where/why/how. That is the point of the example.
Yes, but that doesn't mean you should wrong them back. You and I do not disagree on whether he was right or wrong. I agree fully he was wrong. But in my opinion, they way you reacted was not the best way to respond. You chose to be vitriolic, making the situation worse. Can you tell me that is the right decision? Why not walk away? Why not simply reply in a kind manner?

Quote:
Seems like an ironic statement. You accuse me of things and in doing so become the same as you accuse.

I do not pretend to be anything nor do I claim to be anything.
I assume you're referring to the "judge" statement. Being a judge is passing judgement, I have not done so. I have merely spoken as to what you are doing. I have only said that -- from a moral standpoint -- what you are doing is wrong (morality from a theistic or atheistic standpoint, being either the betterment of human kind as a whole (atheistic) or being spiritually good (theistic). I have not said that you deserve punishment, I have not concluded that you are a bad person, merely that your actions are not helpful -- and can you show how they are? I can show how they were in fact not helpful, and that they made the situation worse.

Quote:
This happens to be a subject I have an opinion of (the actual subject of ranks). I disagreed with the way it was/is being handled by the OP.

Unfortunately it arrived at this. However I make no claims to be anything, anyone or represent anything or anyone. That is the stark contrast.
Then why be vitriolic? What is the benefit of it? Why not be perfectly polite, even when someone is rude to you? Tell me, what do you accomplish by responding in a rude way?

I
Quote:
disagree. I post disagreement. I feel suspicious. I post suspicion. I discover lies. I point them out. Thatís what this topic started off as; a subject to which I have an opinion on. If it was a subject I could not care less about, chances are I would not even have read it let alone post. Did it degenerate? Certainly.
Does it therefore follow that you're doing the *right* thing? I don't care about what you've done in this past -- rather I care about what you will do in the future. I ask you to consider, that perhaps it is more beneficial if you either:

A: Respond in a polite, mature way that will not escalate the situation.

or

B: Don't respond, period. Avoid making things worse.

Quote:
You seem to be missing the point, again. Just because someone is disabled does not mean they are any less of a jerk than anyone else has the capability of being (like you and I as demonstrated by our own bantering).
I see your point, but that's not justification for your actions.

Quote:
The key difference being, you and I can be jerks to one another without coming up with excuses that insult not only the readerís intelligence but the people that are being offered up as scapegoats i.e.- the disabled.
That's true.

Quote:
I take full responsibility for everything I have done, do and most certainly will do in the future. I make no effort to blame illness, injury, disability, disease, nature, nurture or what have you.
And that's good of you, but why not take it one step further? Instead of doing things, and taking responsibility for them... don't do them. Instead of being rude, and admitting you were rude, don't be rude? This *whole* situation would've been avoided, had you not responded to him, or had he not responded to you. Wouldn't that make things a whole lot better? If one of you had just stopped the discussion, or if one of you had just been nothing but polite and kind would this have ever happened? No, it only takes one person to avoid a vitriolic fight.

Quote:
I thought in your words this was not a court? My attempt at a tasteless joke, but I admit it is a tastless joke.
This isn't a court, I'm suggesting that you leave it to the authorities (Cryptic or PWE) which would be the equivalent of a court. If you've been wronged, talk to the appropriate people about it to the appropriate people. There's no need, no reason at all, to respond in a rude way. That only makes the situation worse.

Quote:
ďTo turn every it was into I wanted it thus; that alone do I call redemption.Ē

One of my favourites, and like most quotes, can take on countless meaning both in and out of context.
But I made sure to take it in context, if it has a second meaning, that does not affect its original meaning. Nor does that invalidate the quote. Responding in a polite way will almost always (if not always) not make the situation worse. Whereas responding in a rude way will almost always (if not always) make the situation worse.

Quote:
See youíve pinpointed where it went wrong; right from the beginning. I do not believe it started with Storm, but with an ill planned and ill executed concept.
Perhaps, but the vitriol started to fly with Storm's senseless aggravations. There was no need to respond with the "oh you're getting defensive, you must be guilty!" line he kept giving. It understandably aggravated the OP, which in turn made him respond poorly to Storm, which eventually led to you responding poorly to the OP.

I'm not trying to judge you or make you feel bad or whatever, you and I agree on most things even. I just think that the senseless insults need to stop. If you've got a problem, be nice and polite about it. If that doesn't work, click the back button, and get away from the person who's being hostile. Responding with personal insults is not going to make the situation -- indeed the only thing it accomplishes is making things worse, that and making the other person feel bad.
Lt. Commander
# 163
04-12-2012, 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flywiz
I gotta question; Is there any way to report an actual thread? Because I need to report this one; It is getting out of hand, and just plain rude. I'm hoping it will be locked soon.
Report enough of the single posts, and they'll close it. I've seen that happen before. If they get too many reports, they'll literally come in and say "Been getting too many reports from this thread, got to close it". It happened earlier today in fact.
Lt. Commander
# 164
04-12-2012, 01:31 PM
I am attempting to quote far less as I have noticed that you and I have taken over this thread with incredibly long posts for our own side conversation.

Preamble off!

With regards to judgement and passing judgement that is unfortunately a very subjective topic. What you think is judgement I believe is opinion. You will not convince me. I will not convince you. So I will agree to disagree.

You will note an important difference in the tone of our discussion; that is the discussion between you and I. We are not being polite to one another. At the same time we are not offending each other with insults. We are simply expressing our differing opinion, defending our opinions and in the end disagreeing with each other.

Also, the subject of is far too subjective. Morality often butts heads with not only itself, but with what others of differing opinions claim as moral based upon their own mores and beliefs. My sense of morality was offended by OP, just as your sense of morality was offended by me, and so on. We can spend years debating right and wrong but with different core beliefs we will be at an impasse.

This risks entering into discussions of politics, religion, economics and all of the other subjects that will make this discussion look tame in comparison. Hopefully we can agree to that much.

With regards to my quote and related comment it was not meant to offend you. It was in fact a failed attempt at being lighthearted. Look at that. We can disagree and when a comment is misread as offensive I am happy to clarify and apologise for the miscommunication.

I do not expect for us to agree. Nor does it affect me. Thatís the beauty of this whole terrible internet thing. We can disagree. From our brief bantering I am sure we would disagree about all manner of sensitive subjects all the way to our respective cores. I think thatís great, and I thank you for challenging me. It keeps life interesting.
Lt. Commander
# 165
04-12-2012, 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AriusDecimus
It wasn't about legality, it was about the fact that it's not your place, nor mine, to punish him. A murderer certainly shouldn't be killed in retaliation (except perhaps by the authorities, or in self defense). You murdering a murderer in response is equivalent to you being rude to a person for being rude. Neither is the appropriate course of action.

Edit: Also need to clarify, I was saying that you were acting as though you were his judge. I didn't say that your statement necessarily referred to something legal, just that you're acting as though you are his judge -- and you're not.

No, it's not necessarily untrue. Just that it's not your place to decide, in the analogy, or in this situation. At least it's not your place on moral grounds. The course you're taking is not the best one. Being rude only accomplishes a worse situation, is that your goal? If it is not, then can you please elaborate on what it accomplishes? You being rude to the OP does not punish him, as it does not have any real affect on him. All it does is aggravate him and the situation, which just makes everything worse.

Yes, but that doesn't mean you should wrong them back. You and I do not disagree on whether he was right or wrong. I agree fully he was wrong. But in my opinion, they way you reacted was not the best way to respond. You chose to be vitriolic, making the situation worse. Can you tell me that is the right decision? Why not walk away? Why not simply reply in a kind manner?

I assume you're referring to the "judge" statement. Being a judge is passing judgement, I have not done so. I have merely spoken as to what you are doing. I have only said that -- from a moral standpoint -- what you are doing is wrong (morality from a theistic or atheistic standpoint, being either the betterment of human kind as a whole (atheistic) or being spiritually good (theistic). I have not said that you deserve punishment, I have not concluded that you are a bad person, merely that your actions are not helpful -- and can you show how they are? I can show how they were in fact not helpful, and that they made the situation worse.

Then why be vitriolic? What is the benefit of it? Why not be perfectly polite, even when someone is rude to you? Tell me, what do you accomplish by responding in a rude way?

I

Does it therefore follow that you're doing the *right* thing? I don't care about what you've done in this past -- rather I care about what you will do in the future. I ask you to consider, that perhaps it is more beneficial if you either:

A: Respond in a polite, mature way that will not escalate the situation.

or

B: Don't respond, period. Avoid making things worse.

I see your point, but that's not justification for your actions.

That's true.

And that's good of you, but why not take it one step further? Instead of doing things, and taking responsibility for them... don't do them. Instead of being rude, and admitting you were rude, don't be rude? This *whole* situation would've been avoided, had you not responded to him, or had he not responded to you. Wouldn't that make things a whole lot better? If one of you had just stopped the discussion, or if one of you had just been nothing but polite and kind would this have ever happened? No, it only takes one person to avoid a vitriolic fight.

This isn't a court, I'm suggesting that you leave it to the authorities (Cryptic or PWE) which would be the equivalent of a court. If you've been wronged, talk to the appropriate people about it to the appropriate people. There's no need, no reason at all, to respond in a rude way. That only makes the situation worse.

But I made sure to take it in context, if it has a second meaning, that does not affect its original meaning. Nor does that invalidate the quote. Responding in a polite way will almost always (if not always) not make the situation worse. Whereas responding in a rude way will almost always (if not always) make the situation worse.

Perhaps, but the vitriol started to fly with Storm's senseless aggravations. There was no need to respond with the "oh you're getting defensive, you must be guilty!" line he kept giving. It understandably aggravated the OP, which in turn made him respond poorly to Storm, which eventually led to you responding poorly to the OP.

I'm not trying to judge you or make you feel bad or whatever, you and I agree on most things even. I just think that the senseless insults need to stop. If you've got a problem, be nice and polite about it. If that doesn't work, click the back button, and get away from the person who's being hostile. Responding with personal insults is not going to make the situation -- indeed the only thing it accomplishes is making things worse, that and making the other person feel bad.
try tell all that to this one
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaddam
as long as it cant take out Sov's galaxy's so on whit ease im ok whit that come on really they where not tuff
this is why http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XwQK...eature=related just say about 2 minutes in you will see
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyNY View Post
I hope for goodness sake that you are a Non-English-as-a-main-language poster...

Cause that post is one of the worst I have ever tried to read.

If you're not... god help your english teachers.

Might I suggest you install a spell-check on your computer??

to wit...

"... As long as it can take out Sov's; Galaxy's and so on with ease, I'm OK with that.

Come on really...?... They were not that tough... this is why... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XwQK...eature=related...

...just shy about two minutes in and you will see why. "

English can be your Friend too.
I have a learning disability as to why I don't spell like the average joe

so again trying telling that one the same
Lt. Commander
# 166
04-12-2012, 01:45 PM
Pwn Admiral

EDIT: Sorry everyone There are too many reported posts coming from this thread to keep it going. - BranFlakes
Closed Thread