Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 31
04-09-2012, 06:46 PM
also the ranks will stay the same anyway, however when we get the feature allowing us to have all NPCs call us by whatever rank we could change that then change our rank pips on our uniforms and problem solved, you can be an ensign or an admiral, and if anyone says thats not a good fix then they are just complaining for the hell of complaining because that fixes it 100% perfectly for people who only want to be captains, i for one would like to be a fleet admiral
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 32
04-09-2012, 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaddam
some ppl don't care to come to a forums some ppl stay as far as they can because they can be drama at time and yes because it a forums so if you was to ask the hole player base right now on you poll could say 500% for it should only be Capt. then if the hole player base had been asked that number could still be big or could be very low this I think this is kinda why cryptic stop don polls in the first place but I could be wrong I just think its wrong I should be forced to be a Capt. when I love being a admiral my childhood dream that was took from me by a dump truck the doctor had to amputate half of my left foot so killing my childhood dream because I never be able to complete basic training
If you asked the entire playerbase, I'd be impressed if more then 50% of them would even bother to give you an answer at all. If your basing your entire argument over the fact that 'not everyone' is going to respond to it, then statistically speaking asking any question at all in a general sense (survey or not) is somewhat meaningless.

You're only ever going to get any data at all from those people that choose to participate. While not representative of the entire population as a whole, it can be an indicator of some trends that one can infer at least something from upon which to base further assumptions or ideas going forward. That's pretty much the only point.

I think the OP really only did this out of intellectual curiosity, knowing full well that the numbers would not be entirely, scientifically accurate. :U
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 33
04-09-2012, 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaddam
some ppl don't care to come to a forums some ppl stay as far as they can because they can be drama at time and yes because it a forums so if you was to ask the hole player base right now on you poll could say 500% for it should only be Capt. then if the hole player base had been asked that number could still be big or could be very low this I think this is kinda why cryptic stop don polls in the first place but I could be wrong I just think its wrong I should be forced to be a Capt. when I love being a admiral my childhood dream that was took from me by a dump truck the doctor had to amputate half of my left foot so killing my childhood dream because I never be able to complete basic training
Some people do come to the forums to complain, yes.
Some people come to the forums for drama, yes.
Some people come to the forums to ask and answer questions about the game they like.
Some people come to the forums to engage in lively debate about the future of the game they love.
Some people come to the forums because this is one of the biggest collections of Trek Geeks on the internet, and they like discussing things with fellow Trek Geeks.
Some people come to the forums because they want to informed about the opinions and positions of their fellow STO players.

...

People come to the forums for all kinds of reasons, and because of that, all kinds of players are represented here. Surveys allow us to gain insights into the attitudes of a very representative sample of the playerbase. The only problem is that Polls posted in one specific sub-forum only get seen by visitors to that sub-forum.

Leviathen, if you can (get a Dev OK), I would post a variation of this thread in each and every English sub-forum in the STO forums. And I wouldn't hesitate to ask multi-lingual posters to make alternate versions of the poll for our EU and Far East players.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 34
04-09-2012, 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xixboneheadxix
you sir have no concept of how a navy works, there are a lot of lieutenants in charge of ships around the world, and as you rank your way up you either get better posisitons in better ships or take command of bigger slightly better ships.
As a vet in an actual Navy, I will say that there are Lieutenants in charge of boats, Commanders in charge of subs (and maybe some small ships), but real ships have real Captains.

IIRC there is a diagram in the Officer's Handbook that outlines the careers of the different officer paths (surface, air, submarine), and for surface I believe you're a Division Officer through LT, Department Head from LCDR-CDR, XO from CDR - CAPT (carriers), and CO through CAPT before going back to some shore command or War College, and then Admiralty is various Fleet Commands.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 35
04-09-2012, 07:05 PM
I voted for Ensign.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 36
04-09-2012, 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Direphoenix View Post
As a vet in an actual Navy, I will say that there are Lieutenants in charge of boats, Commanders in charge of subs (and maybe some small ships), but real ships have real Captains.

IIRC there is a diagram in the Officer's Handbook that outlines the careers of the different officer paths (surface, air, submarine), and for surface I believe you're a Division Officer through LT, Department Head from LCDR-CDR, XO from CDR - CAPT (carriers), and CO through CAPT before going back to some shore command or War College, and then Admiralty is various Fleet Commands.
fair enough, althought some real ships have had LT CMDR and CMDR as captains depending on what navy.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 37
04-09-2012, 07:08 PM
I polled 'Captain,' but honestly I think rank should be divorced from level. While it's obvious, rank would be much better used for something else.

Maybe for STO2....
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 38
04-09-2012, 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/B3VKJVV

I had my assumptions called into question so I made a survey.

Please vote for what you think the maximum rank in Star Trek Online should be called. I'm not talking about a numeric change to the level cap, just the term you think should be used for max level players.
I would have voted but the rank I think should be level cap is Commodore and that's not on there.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 39
04-09-2012, 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lomax6996
I would have voted but the rank I think should be level cap is Commodore and that's not on there.
I left that off because CBS told Cryptic it's not allowed as a rank. I believe Cryptic had plans to use it as a flavor title tied to Fleet progression awhile back but was told it couldn't be an actual rank.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 40
04-09-2012, 10:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I left that off because CBS told Cryptic it's not allowed as a rank. I believe Cryptic had plans to use it as a flavor title tied to Fleet progression awhile back but was told it couldn't be an actual rank.
Correct. Cryptic stated last year that the "Commodore" title is being held for something to do with Fleet Starbases.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:03 PM.