Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
I've been thinking about this for a while after contemplating the TNG episode "Booby Trap" where LaForge permanently boosted the Enterprise's warp core output through redesigning the matter/antimatter input into the dilithium crystals. I'd like to see a similar mission where we can gain a permanent one-time boost to our ship's performance through a doff mission, unlike the assignments that give temporary boosts to these skills.

Upon a critical success of this assignment however, the mission would be permanently unrepeatable. Theassignment would have a high failure and disaster chance and would have some pretty hefty requirements to work. The assignment could be as follows:

Assignment: Experimental Warp Core Output Enhancement

Required Duty officers:
5 Engineering

Success DOFF requirements:
WarpCore Engineer
Warp Theorist
Matter-Antimatter Specialist
Technician
Photonic

Critical success:
Resolve
Cunning
Stubborn
Teamwork

Failure Traits:
Aggressive
Stubborn
Unruly

Disaster Traits:
Aggressive
Stubborn
Unruly

Required materials:
Rare EPS Flow Regulator Mk XI
Powered Alien Artifact
50,000 dilithium

Success Reward:
Engineering XP
Standard XP

Critical Success Reward:
+12 Starship Warp Core Potential
+12 Starship Electro-Plasma Systems


A mission like this could be adapted for any captain skill, for example:


Assignment: Experimental Targeting Systems Enhancement

Required Duty officers:

2 Tactical
2 Operations
1 Engineering

Success DOFF requirements:
Energy Weapons Officer
Projectile Weapons Officer
Sensors Officer
Technician

Critical Success:
Resolve
Cunning
Tactful
Teamwork

Failure Traits:
Aggressive
Stubborn
Unruly

Disaster Traits:
Aggressive
Stubborn
Unruly

Required materials:
Rare Sensor Probes Mk XI
Powered Alien Artifact
50,000 dilithium

Success Reward:
Engineering XP
Standard XP

Critical Success Reward:
+18 Starship Targeting Systems


Another example:


Assignment: Experimental Torpedo Warhead Yield Enhancement

Required Duty officers:

2 Tactical
2 Operations
1 Engineering

Success DOFF requirements:
Projectile Weapons Officer
Explosives Expert
Technician

Critical Success:
Aggressive
Efficient
Tactful
Teamwork

Failure Traits:
Aggressive
Stubborn
Unruly

Disaster Traits:
Aggressive
Stubborn
Unruly

Required materials:
Rare Warhead Yield Chamber Mk XI
Powered Alien Artifact
50,000 dilithium

Success Reward:
Engineering XP
Standard XP

Critical Success Reward:
+18 Starship Projectile Weapons


These assignments could be extremely rare, and could cover all space and ground skills with appropriate tweaking.

Pleast post feedback on whether this is a good idea or not.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
04-11-2012, 07:21 AM
I really enjoyed reading through your idea. I do like it! However, I do not want to see it happen in game as there are already so very many ways to increase your power levels, DPS, Resistances and etc.

Some such ways this is done already in the game:
-Skill Tree
-Console Upgrades
-Ship Class type
-Accolades
-Special consoles
- Bridge Officer Abilities
-Devices (Consumable and reusable)
-Special Gear
-Ship equipment

To add any more ways to increase your DPS or power levels would be ill advised at this point because, my last calculations had it where you could achieve 700% bonus to base damage on energy weapons. It is somewhat absurd and only the very, very best players can deal with getting hit by attacks like that.

My advice is if it were to be a permanent bonus, to go no higher than 2%, just like the Accolades give. At least that is hardly noticeable when compounded by all the other means to increase your power levels and DPS output.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
04-11-2012, 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleon View Post
My advice is if it were to be a permanent bonus, to go no higher than 2%, just like the Accolades give. At least that is hardly noticeable when compounded by all the other means to increase your power levels and DPS output.
I'm pretty sure that +18 to a skill only translates to a low percentage increase in performance of that system anyway. How much would +12 to your warp core potential skill give you in your ship's power levels? 1 or 2 points?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
04-11-2012, 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten-Nemesis View Post
I'm pretty sure that +18 to a skill only translates to a low percentage increase in performance of that system anyway. How much would +12 to your warp core potential skill give you in your ship's power levels? 1 or 2 points?
If it were a standalone thing, it wouldn’t be a big deal whatsoever. However, we are talking about it being in addition to everything else that improves your skills etc. Possibly even in addition to the temporary bonus you can already get with the Duty Officer System.

Imagine then, that we got another 12% bonus added onto Starship Energy Weapons Training, instead of warp core potential. Or worse, both! Yeah, you’d think maybe at first that it is only an extra 12%, but then add all the other bonus from every other aspect of the game and you’d very quickly see that even another 12% is too much on already swelled systems.

We do not need even more ways to increase DPS in this game! We honestly do not! Increased energy levels, directly increase DPS!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
04-11-2012, 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleon View Post
If it were a standalone thing, it wouldn’t be a big deal whatsoever. However, we are talking about it being in addition to everything else that improves your skills etc. Possibly even in addition to the temporary bonus you can already get with the Duty Officer System.

Imagine then, that we got another 12% bonus added onto Starship Energy Weapons Training, instead of warp core potential. Or worse, both! Yeah, you’d think maybe at first that it is only an extra 12%, but then add all the other bonus from every other aspect of the game and you’d very quickly see that even another 12% is too much on already swelled systems.

We do not need even more ways to increase DPS in this game! We honestly do not! Increased energy levels, directly increase DPS!
Would +18 energy weapons skill result in a +12% increase in energy weapons damage? I suppose the skill bonuses could be scaled down to +8 or +4, but I still like my idea too much to abandon it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
04-11-2012, 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten-Nemesis View Post
Would +18 energy weapons skill result in a +12% increase in energy weapons damage? I suppose the skill bonuses could be scaled down to +8 or +4, but I still like my idea too much to abandon it.
I like the idea as well, I'd be really cool with it if the bonus was as low as +8 or +4!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
04-11-2012, 12:15 PM
So if I am understanding this, you'd only get the permanent bonus if the result is a critical success?

50K Dil is a lot to throw away on a remote chance.

Otherwise, I wouldn't mind seeing something like this. But I'm concerned about adding yet another kind of under-the-hood tech to enable such things.

Doesn't the ability to create consoles through the DO system basically do the same thing? You might need new kinds of consoles, but the basic mechanic is already there.

Otherwise, it would tack on console-like bonuses without taking up a console slot. Not sure that's a great idea or not.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
04-11-2012, 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
So if I am understanding this, you'd only get the permanent bonus if the result is a critical success?

50K Dil is a lot to throw away on a remote chance.
That's the point. It's a difficult achievement and thus the reward is worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
Doesn't the ability to create consoles through the DO system basically do the same thing? You might need new kinds of consoles, but the basic mechanic is already there.

Otherwise, it would tack on console-like bonuses without taking up a console slot. Not sure that's a great idea or not.
You don't get a choice of the consoles you produce through doff assignments. Maybe you get ultra lucky and create a purple Mk XII phaser relay. Or you're dismally unlucky and make a green Mk XII Countermeasure system. The idea behind this assignment is that the critical success gives you a real tangible increase in your skills that you wouldn't otherwise get. The increase is much smaller than the boost a console will give, but enough to be worth it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
04-12-2012, 08:51 AM
This basically already exists with the engineering duty officer assignments to experiment with shields, weapons, engines, etc. You get new gear. Assuming that it's better than what you have now, it's a permanent upgrade.

They could add in slightly juicier versions of these things that are only available via these assignments to make it tempting. (MK XII stuff, special [] bonuses not available on otther gear, maybe a chance at MK XII special ops equipment, etc.)

I don't see them giving a permanent bonus that isn't tied to equipment or officers though.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:45 PM.