Lt. Commander
# 31
04-12-2012, 05:53 AM
It's not proof of construction, and I'm a big Exelcior-in-the-future advocate.

If there was a big jagged hole in a ship, and you had to repair it properly, what would you do?

Would you fabricate a patch the exact shape of the hole and call it "a job well done"?

Or would you strip out any damaged components so that each "piece" that was damaged was replaced by a new one so everything lined up right with pre-existing components without the hassle of custom fabrication? Like a new hull plate, EPS conduit, structural beam etc. This would leave a "pristine" hole that looked like it was merely under construction, not repair of damage, but is no proof either way of wether or not the ship is being built, repaired (properly), or merely modified.

With the modularity of ships, and the incredible likelyhood of having ample spare Excelsior parts, the second approach makes sense from an engineering standpoint.
Lt. Commander
# 32
04-12-2012, 06:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
Hey... You are right...

They intentionally disassembled a part of the ship (or partially build a new one) just for this shot...

That would indeed indicate that Paramount considered the ship modern enough for construction...

Very Interesting...
As others pointed out, possibly not construction, but still modern enough to either repair from substantial damage, or it's up for a large enough refit to require disassembling part of the starframe.

Either way, these are things that strongly imply that not only are these ships on active duty, they belong there and aren't just winding down the last days of their service.
Lt. Commander
# 33
04-12-2012, 06:24 AM
from what i see in that picture, the wireframe construction of a sovereign class. left to right: Akira, Nebula, Galaxy, Excelsior couple of others due to poor picture quality (i hate jpgs, but probably galaxy class ships), galaxy class, akira and saber.

its not proof of anything the excelsior in drydock, could just be routine maintence or an upgrade to the ships system which could be too extensive outside of a drydock.
Lt. Commander
# 34
04-12-2012, 06:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
As others pointed out, possibly not construction, but still modern enough to either repair from substantial damage, or it's up for a large enough refit to require disassembling part of the starframe.

Either way, these are things that strongly imply that not only are these ships on active duty, they belong there and aren't just winding down the last days of their service.
Or it's just an indication that as always Star Trek reuses old ships in its shots to save money.
Lt. Commander
# 35
04-12-2012, 06:42 AM
I'm just curious, but what exactly are we proving here? There was never any question that the Excelsior class was in service and being actively maintained. All you have to do is watch TNG or DS9, so this shot from Voyager proves...nothing we didn't already know.
Lt. Commander
# 36
04-12-2012, 07:49 AM
Wasn't voyager CGI at this point? Before they had to use models and kit bashing, but I remember they made a big deal that Voyager was all CGI. If it was CGI then it was a definitive choice to include the Excelsior, and not just a reuse of a model.

I really don't have issue with it still in service. All the tech manuals state the ships were able to upgrade easily. Doesn't the Galaxy have a bridge that can be swapped out easily as it is a module? Which explains the differences in the TNG enterprise bridge versus the Generations enterprise bridge.
Lt. Commander
# 37
04-12-2012, 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoenATL
Wasn't voyager CGI at this point? Before they had to use models and kit bashing, but I remember they made a big deal that Voyager was all CGI. If it was CGI then it was a definitive choice to include the Excelsior, and not just a reuse of a model.
Pretty sure Voyager mixed and matched. It used a lot of CGI for the Voyager itself, but its effects weren't all CGI I don't think.
Lt. Commander
# 38
04-12-2012, 08:08 AM
I recall reading comments (perhaps by Doug Drexler) about the guys building those CGI shots of the fleetyards. How they had loved their job so much they created them with intricate detailing and so on... knowing that the shots would be seen for mere seconds, on television sets from the nineties that would be blurry as heck.

Perhaps in twenty years time CBS will finally move onto publishing all of trek into blue-ray HD (or equivilant) so we can go back an be enthralled with CGI from 30-40 years earlier! ROFL
Lt. Commander
# 39
04-12-2012, 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaddam
that is what the game was to be was canon as to why there is no romulan home world in this game that was only thing canon in JJ's movie this video will tell you that

http://vimeo.com/1504688?pg=embed&sec=1504688
I still think the Icoians are scheeming to phase shift Romulas from the past to the present, about 1 second before it was enveloped by the hobus supernova...

(Come on Cryptic, perfect premise to start a Romulan faction.)
Lt. Commander
# 40
04-12-2012, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xautos
from what i see in that picture, the wireframe construction of a sovereign class. left to right: Akira, Nebula, Galaxy, Excelsior couple of others due to poor picture quality (i hate jpgs, but probably galaxy class ships), galaxy class, akira and saber.

its not proof of anything the excelsior in drydock, could just be routine maintence or an upgrade to the ships system which could be too extensive outside of a drydock.
Where do you see the wireframe construction of the Sovereign? Voyager should not have been able to use this, since the Sovereign intelectial properities were never given to any trek series. (One of the reasons why we never saw them fighting in DS9, eventhough they were well into their active life.) The only images we ever saw were breif LCARS graphics depicting them.