Lt. Commander
I haven't been in STO for awhile, mostly because i had to get schoolwork done, but also because it seemed to me like it got too hard to keep me interested. I tried to log in and to a little exploring and this showed up

Unable to authenticate: Couldn't even attempt accout server connection

??? WHAT ???

Anyone have any idea what this means? BTW, the launcher attempted to update itself, but it couldn't do that successfully either.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-10-2012, 08:54 PM
maintenance most likely or the login server was down when you tried connecting.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-11-2012, 09:16 PM
I don't think so. According to the home page of this site, the server was up when i tried logging in.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-11-2012, 10:55 PM
Could be anything really...

And since no one else has reported a similar problem it stands to reason to assume that the error is somewhere before Cryptic.

Unable to auth is usually related to the login not being able to be sent. This might be because of a setting somewhere along the way that prevents the request to be sent.

You can try to launch the client directly from your STO folder, rather than through the launcher.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-12-2012, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwilliam
I don't think so. According to the home page of this site, the server was up when i tried logging in.
login/account server is different than the game server. if they were doing maintenance on the account server the game can still be up but unable to log in.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-12-2012, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwilliam
I haven't been in STO for awhile, mostly because i had to get schoolwork done, but also because it seemed to me like it got too hard to keep me interested. I tried to log in and to a little exploring and this showed up

Unable to authenticate: Couldn't even attempt accout server connection

??? WHAT ???

Anyone have any idea what this means? BTW, the launcher attempted to update itself, but it couldn't do that successfully either.
Could be either a Network or a Firewall/Router issue....
The instructions in this thread will provide further information on the issue... http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=225155

And post the results in the Support Forum so that other people can see and tell you whats wrong...