Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 31
04-15-2012, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKnight1000
it's just not a good idea to engage a speed boost within a speed boost.
Unless of course, one is Xzibit or Leonardo DiCaprio.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 32
04-15-2012, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denaru
Apart from the punctuation or lack there of, how in the world is that even star trek related? I mean they don't have moving ship parts unless it's the Vulcan science ship. I just don't see how engine shields would work.
Well, strictly speaking, that's not true. A BoP's wings move up and down (which, from an engineering standpoint, makes absolutely NO sense) and the Intrepid's engine nacelles swing up and down (which makes even LESS sense... but there you have it). :p
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 33
04-15-2012, 11:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumghai
Unless of course, one is Xzibit or Leonardo DiCaprio.
I'm missing the movie reference's here. But I meant from a gameplay angle, I don't really want to set up the 10th bar so I can sequence all the speed boosts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomax6996
Well, strictly speaking, that's not true. A BoP's wings move up and down (which, from an engineering standpoint, makes absolutely NO sense) and the Intrepid's engine nacelles swing up and down (which makes even LESS sense... but there you have it). :p
BoPs I can't explain.

Intrepids on the other hand I can. The Nacelles move to prevent damage to Subspace. Do a search on intrepid and you'll wind up at Memory Alpha or Beta for a longer version of this exploration.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 34
04-15-2012, 11:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumghai
Unless of course, one is Xzibit or Leonardo DiCaprio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKnight1000
I'm missing the movie reference's here.
Xzibit was the host of Pimp My Ride, where a team of specialists restores and customises cars. A running joke of Xzibit's "Yo dawg, I heard you like Y-ing so we put an X in your car so you can Y while you drive" mutated into the recursive internet meme "Yo Dawg, I heard you like cars so we put a car in your car so you can drive while you drive".

Leo starred in Inception, which deals with the concept of dreams within dreams.

I was drawing parallels between the OP's idea of "shields within shields" and the aforementioned memes.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKnight1000
BoPs I can't explain.

Intrepids on the other hand I can. The Nacelles move to prevent damage to Subspace. Do a search on intrepid and you'll wind up at Memory Alpha or Beta for a longer version of this exploration.
Klingon Birds of Prey have movable wings because when they are up it helps the impulse engines move more efficiently, but at the same time it's harder to form a stable shield grid, whereas with the wings lowered, it becomes much easier to form a stable shield grid, but the impulse drive has to work harder to move the ship when the thrust is so far off the central axis.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 36
04-16-2012, 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumghai
Xzibit was the host of Pimp My Ride, where a team of specialists restores and customises cars. A running joke of Xzibit's "Yo dawg, I heard you like Y-ing so we put an X in your car so you can Y while you drive" mutated into the recursive internet meme "Yo Dawg, I heard you like cars so we put a car in your car so you can drive while you drive".

Leo starred in Inception, which deals with the concept of dreams within dreams.

I was drawing parallels between the OP's idea of "shields within shields" and the aforementioned memes.
Hence with the Scimitar in Star Trek: Nemesis, Xzibit went to Shinzon and said: "Yo, I heard you like your ship to be protected, so we put an extra layer of shields on your massive warship, so you can tank while you drive."
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 37
04-16-2012, 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Trekkie View Post
Klingon Birds of Prey have movable wings because when they are up it helps the impulse engines move more efficiently, but at the same time it's harder to form a stable shield grid, whereas with the wings lowered, it becomes much easier to form a stable shield grid, but the impulse drive has to work harder to move the ship when the thrust is so far off the central axis.
Sounds like a reasonable trade-off, as opposed to the OP's proposal of a super-maneuverable and uber-shielded OP craft (if one would excuse the pun)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliftona91
Hence with the Scimitar in Star Trek: Nemesis, Xzibit went to Shinzon and said: "Yo, I heard you like your ship to be protected, so we put an extra layer of shields on your massive warship, so you can tank while you drive."
Guess that explains the somewhat un-Romulan like ship design.

Tune in to Pimp My Ride - Starship Edition same time, same channel next week, and watch as we pimp Admiral Riker's Galaxy-class flagship with a third narcelle for warp travel (at LUDICROUS SPEEDS, no less), a cloaking device and a spinal phaser lance that slices through Negh'Var warships like a hot knife through butter!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 38
04-16-2012, 04:52 PM
And up next, we pimp out Captain Janeway's Intrepid Class Science Vessel, with torpedoes that destroy anything it touches and sleek futuristic armor plating
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 39
04-22-2012, 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originally Posted by DKnight1000
BoPs I can't explain. Intrepids on the other hand I can. The Nacelles move to prevent damage to Subspace. Do a search on intrepid and you'll wind up at Memory Alpha or Beta for a longer version of this exploration.
The problem with that is that if the Nacelles need to be up in order to move thru hyperspace (subspace, otherspace, superspace... whatever) then leave them in that position because the configuration makes no difference in normal space. Normal 4d space/time doesn't care what shape the ship is so why bother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Trekkie View Post
Klingon Birds of Prey have movable wings because when they are up it helps the impulse engines move more efficiently, but at the same time it's harder to form a stable shield grid, whereas with the wings lowered, it becomes much easier to form a stable shield grid, but the impulse drive has to work harder to move the ship when the thrust is so far off the central axis.
The problems with this are multiple. If the ship moves by reaction thrust of some sort then the position of the wings isn't going to effect the efficiency of the Impulse engines since the angle doesn't change significantly. But if they work based on some sort of reaction thrust then you are never going to get the kind of acceleration shown in the shows and movies. There are physical limits to how fast you can accelerate by throwing something out of the back end even if you have the ability to cancel inertia (and they don't... they can only dampen it down a bit :p). The earliest explanations described the Impulse engines as working on basically the same principle as the warp engines but on a smaller scale... warping the woof of space/time itself, generating a kind of "wave" and then riding the wave rather like a surfer (don't look at me like that... I didn't make this stuff up... I would have just stuck with the time honored Sci-Fi dodge of "hyperspace" and let it go at that heheheh ). The shields working better with the wings down doesn't make much sense, either. It would either be easier and more efficient to generate a "shield" over a flat plane than an inverted V providing the surface area is the same (which it would be) or else it will make no difference at all.

No, the real reason they made them move, in both instances, is that, at the time the idea was first introduced aircraft with variable wing configurations were all the rage and some ship designer who was more artist that engineer thought it would look "cool". Just like they put tiles on the Constitution refit because the space shuttle had tiles and they thought the audience would like the effect.

Which is why I've always liked the TOS Connie best since, of all the ships, it most looks like it was designed by engineers rather than artists (the NX Enterprise had a much more "engineered" look to it as well).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 40
04-22-2012, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lomax6996
The problem with that is that if the Nacelles need to be up in order to move thru hyperspace (subspace, otherspace, superspace... whatever) then leave them in that position because the configuration makes no difference in normal space. Normal 4d space/time doesn't care what shape the ship is so why bother?
The entire problem is that they based the entire thing on a one-off episode that was a shameless environmental trope.
That being said...
I think the entire idea was that it was a variable geometry pylon. Hence it can be moved into whatever position gives you the optimum warp field geometry for the subspace conditions in the current area you are warping through. The default position is just that, a default that allows for minimal warp speeds, and the fact that they are kept down seems to indicate that it's tied in some way to helping the ship achieve faster warp speeds quicker. However Starfleet eventually figured it was a stupid overly complex idea since Subspace mostly doesn't change from sector to sector, and the ability to change a warp field with nacelle position wasn't exactly as cost-beneficial as they thought.

Really though it was because they thought it looked cool and helped separate Voyager from previous starships and no explanation is going to make complete sense.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:53 AM.