Lt. Commander
yep, no romulan or cardassian playable factions.

CBS believe that only around 20% of Star Trek fans would be interested in playing a Klingon character and Daniel Stahl has previously stated that 18% of STO players actively gaming with the KDF faction. That was believed to be too low a number to warrant a lot of development time on the faction due to a low return on investment. It is unlikely that the Romulans / Cardassians have a higher percentage of fandom and as such, does that mean that we will only get to see a third faction in STO if they add a separate development team with the goal of producing a paid expansion for a F2P title. Lord of the Rings Online is likely a good example of this sort of effort as they recently released a paid expansion called War In The North.

this was on STOked.

so long story short, there are to few klingon players to add in another playable faction, in order to add another faction we need more people willing to play as factions other than the federation.

based on how many people play klingon, i dont see this happening.

-loyal klingon player

http://www.jupiterbroadcasting.com/1...ty-stoked-118/
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-11-2012, 08:04 AM
I will force myself to play my Klingon Player a little more often. I do this to make my contribution in the hopes that the Romulan Faction might then be justified someday.

Iíll play my Klingon maybe three out of the eight hours I get to play a week. I suggest anyone who reads this does the same. It is for the health and benefit of the game after all!

I invite all my Romulan co-fans to join me on the KDF side! If we get enough of us, we can all get D7 Battle cruisers and pretend they are Romulan versions!
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-11-2012, 08:09 AM
I support Romulans but oppose Cardassians.
Tell you what I would like to see is civilian Freighters (and no chain of command) as an option.
I'd quite like to hop galaxys dealing in Spician flame Gems , Antarian Glow water and signed portraits of Harry Mudd
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-11-2012, 08:17 AM
and they still made the klingon faction because 20% is better than 0%.

it does not mean they wont be a romulan or cardassian faction, but they probably will be very limited, or mini factions.

they may also come in the form of a paid expansion pack. charge $25 for it(which is what some ships go at) and enough people would buy it to justify its development cost. whether they then make much more content after that is debatable but you cross that bridge later. getting them in the game is the first step, much like getting the klingons in the game at launch at least got their nose in the door.
Lt. Commander
Each Faction should get a different playable Captian version of the Romulan species

Federation Romulans:

Refugees and defectors of the Tal Shiar as seen in TNG "Defector", Reunification and so on. That way the Romulans that are displaced by Obesek's Rampage or the Hubus Super Event, Basically Haakeev's former cohorts because that one female Romulan in Mine Enemy was some what cooperative. Plus include the Romulans in Spock's Reunification underground.

Klingon Romulans:

Like in TNG "Redemption" and the Klingon Civil War, have the Klingon Rommies be left overs from Sela's boys since she was in a partnership with the Duras House which by the way is now in charge of the Klingon Empire in the form of Chancellor J'mpok. Plus to level out the playable species for the Klingons have the Hirogen sign up since Sela let them hunt in there territory so it would be logical for the Klingons to honor that due to the leadership houses relationship with the Preator.

Reason:

Since the Tal Shiar and Sela don't see eye to eye so it makes sense. The Preator Sela attempted to kill the director of that agency so naturally those Rommies want to go to a former ally: the Klingons. While the Tal Shiar would go to the Feds since there hatred for Sela and the Senate overrides the hatred of the Federation. Plus Section 31 needs to expand there numbers and the Tal Shiar are good candidates.

Physical differences:
The Klingon Rommies should be more combat looking and be more bulky with more goblin like line ridges and more Reman looking since these are like Sela's personal bodyguard and have the tradition green tint like TNG. Plus some of those Romulans can be human looking too since Sela was the conception of Tasha and Romulan General which did not bother the Duras girls.

The Federation Rommies should be more Rugged looking but not tougher, since the refugee story is more likely with the Feddie Rommies, and have some clean looking Rommies too because the Tal Shiar at the time was like the secret police of Nazi Germany, very well tailored and clean operatives stationed on all types of vessels in the Romulan Imperial Navy. Plus like the Klingons have a more human looking Romulan since humans are a founding species of the Federation and make a Romulan-Vulcan hybrid like Lt. Savaak was in the TOS movie and books.

This is just an idea to incorporate Romulans into our respective Factions instead of making new one, but you can make one in the Alien creator like i have done with my XO being a Romulan: Commander Valan.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-11-2012, 08:19 AM
LOTRO has had three expansions, Mines of Moria, Siege of Mirkwood, and Rise of Isengard. War of the North was a completely separate lotr game. That said, Lotro still only has one real/full faction.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-11-2012, 08:23 AM
just remember, to make a new faction they need to develop a lot of content, if 40% of people played klingon normaly then they could easily add in new factions. but as it is wit h20% klingon and 80% fed.

it just isnt worth adding in a new faction.

personally i saw this comming, maybe when they dont adding in content for klingons(if the content attracts more players) they will add in another faction.

just remember that it costs alot of money to develop all that for a new faction. klingon faction BARELY met its cost

people are just to obssessed with being on the "good" side. or side they see thier heros on in the show
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-11-2012, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aenta
CBS believe that only around 20% of Star Trek fans would be interested in playing a Klingon character and Daniel Stahl has previously stated that 18% of STO players actively gaming with the KDF faction.
CBS? Don't you mean Cryptic?

CBS really wouldn't be involved in that kind of discussion since the licensing was already dealt with to make the Klingon faction back before launch. At this point, they OK'd the faction and collect licensing revenues.

Cryptic, and DStahl, however, are far more intent on coming up with a reason why they can't do the work they said they had planned to do.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-11-2012, 08:29 AM
just relaying what i find on STOked
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-11-2012, 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aenta
just remember, to make a new faction they need to develop a lot of content, if 40% of people played klingon normaly then they could easily add in new factions. but as it is wit h20% klingon and 80% fed.

it just isnt worth adding in a new faction.

personally i saw this comming, maybe when they dont adding in content for klingons(if the content attracts more players) they will add in another faction.

just remember that it costs alot of money to develop all that for a new faction. klingon faction BARELY met its cost

people are just to obssessed with being on the "good" side. or side they see thier heros on in the show
I just want a Rommie Character for a captain for each faction, like they developed Lethains in KDF and Tellerites for the Feds but not a whole faction, that's insanity.