Lt. Commander
# 71
06-09-2012, 09:13 AM
Minifactions do not work, and the population imbalance shows why. Even with vastly better quality ships, vastly better Doff missions, and better faction-dedicated missions, you can't convince even half of Starfleet to turn red like some of us.

Nobody will give a crap about a do-nothing Romulan faction. Even fewer will care about Cardassians. There's just no content for anyone to explore as it is, and a faction that is severely lacking and crippled from the start? It did not work for the KDF, even if the faction is better than it was... it's still nothing compared to Starfleet.

Roleplaying is for ****. Who cares? The 2 or 3 people who love Romulans or Cardies will prance around DS9 or Risa, and everyone else will make fun of them.

The game lacks endgame content for everyone, which is a problem of vastly larger proportions than a "missing minifaction".

I'd love to see Romulans & Cardassians, if only because it meant that the KDF would see equal time, but I'm not holding my breath.
Lt. Commander
# 72
06-09-2012, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SatansHell View Post
Its an excuse, something cryptic are very good at these days.

There are only 20% of the games population playing the kdf because there is only 10% effort put into that faction.
If they actually spent time and money fleshing out the kdf up to ufp levels, I guarantee more players would play the faction!

Though we all know they wont, and its only proved more by the devs constantly making CBS excuses....
As a new player to this game this is exactly what i noticed when i got to play the KDF. Your thrown straight in at level 25 i think it was instead of level 1, the story is good but short and sweet and the free KDF ships i got were as customisable as dirty rag compared to the free ones you get from the Federation (if i were to buy a KDF ship i would feel cheated if the cusomisation is as bad as that - infact the ship cusomisation for my Caitain ship is pretty lame come to think of it). For some reason i started off enjoying playing the KDF but then for some reason it just died a quick death and i went back to playing the feds. 10% effort into that faction pretty much sums it up.

When the free to play came about which gave me the chance to play Star Trek, my first thoughts were "Thought i would be able to play any race" (whithin reason) much to my dissapointment. If the next race has as much effort put into it as the KDF i wouldn't be surprised if it failed.
Lt. Commander
# 73
06-09-2012, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SatansHell View Post
Its an excuse, something cryptic are very good at these days.

There are only 20% of the games population playing the kdf because there is only 10% effort put into that faction.
If they actually spent time and money fleshing out the kdf up to ufp levels, I guarantee more players would play the faction!
This man gets it! You get out what you put in, and CS/PW haven't done the KDF full justice. So far.
Lt. Commander
# 74
06-09-2012, 01:42 PM
Are they saying they wont add content because of not enough players?
When the reason for the low player number to begin with is there isn't enough content.

Anyway..
Currently the Romulans are a shattered faction, can't see them returning to the size of the Federation or the Empire any time soon, even with the Remans and possiblely Hirogens help.. unless they get more alien help (Iconians *cough* *wink* *cough* ).

And the Cardassians seem a bit small aswell with no real military forces, etc...
But possibly a new alliance with the Dominion could work. :p
Lt. Commander
# 75
06-09-2012, 01:56 PM
once the Iconians are destroyed and the time ship sent back to save romulus the Star empire will be bigger than the klingons in a week
Lt. Commander
# 76
06-09-2012, 10:18 PM
I'm going to say the same thing I said in game about this.

I would play my KDF character more often if two things happened.

1. More Content. THe KDF side is pathetically lacking in terms of content.

2. User selected UI color. I'm not going to get into a red v blue argument here, I just don't LIKE my screen being red. I'd prefer Green on both sides but red jut burns me out.
Lt. Commander
# 77
06-10-2012, 12:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundrelic
2. User selected UI color. I'm not going to get into a red v blue argument here, I just don't LIKE my screen being red. I'd prefer Green on both sides but red jut burns me out.
Yes to customizable UI colors!
Lt. Commander
# 78
06-10-2012, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aenta
CBS believe that only around 20% of Star Trek fans would be interested in playing a Klingon character and Daniel Stahl has previously stated that 18% of STO players actively gaming with the KDF faction.
To be honest, can you really blame the other 80%?

The KDF side is a joke at the minute, and until Cryptic gets that side to a point where it's half as good as the FED side, you can't blame people for not wanting to play it.

The FED side has 27 different free ships per rank, an additional nine for max rank. That's a total of 135 different ships, all of which are free to play as. Actually, if you include your starter ship, you've got 138 different ships. You've then got a further 27 ships of which you can purchase.

The KDF side has 18 free ships to select from, and another 20 ships of which you can purchase. C-Store ships aside, the KDF are 120 ships short of what the Federation has. You then take into consideration the level of detail on these KDF ships (the Negh'var only has one set of working-windows) and the costume customization... It's no wonder that people are sticking with the Federation side.

Back to basics, Cryptic (or whoever started this game up) should have focused on scaling the FED side back a little and putting some more time into the KDF, least then, more people would be playing them thus there would be more reason to add a Romulan or Cardassian faction.

I'm getting rather sick of the fact we've got FED and KDF factions flying around in Jem'Hadar Attack Ships, Galor Class Warships and D'Kora Marauders. Now there are thoughts of giving us Romulan and Cardassian Boffs? They'd had been better off creating a third faction of mercenaries of which could have used a variety of ships from a variety of races; least that would have been somewhat believable.

Cryptic has spent too much time developing the FEDs that they've not left enough time for the KDF. Even now, going into season six, what are they working on? More FED ships. The only way we're going to see Romulan ships is in drop boxes, or the C-Store. We might be lucky enough to get a Boff as a mission reward somewhere, but as stated above, it's not something I'd want to see.

Personally, the Romulan Empire and Cardassian Union should remain their own factions. The FED faction shouldn't be as large as it is (in regard to ship choices at least). It's a mess.