Lt. Commander
# 131
06-07-2012, 07:06 AM
P.S.

This thread is the 11th most viewed under the shipyard section, all those views for just one ship and just one build.

I really am pleased that so many people are either playing with this or have played with it.

I don't play STO currenty but I do keep upto date with the questions being posted in both of my threads, one day I will play again (currently Dota2 and Diablo3), I wonder what weird and wonderful builds I can make then !
Ensign
# 132
07-06-2012, 10:20 AM
how do you overcome borg tractor beams with this build or do you just wait for other players to take aggro and then you begin shield stripping/torp unloading?
Lt. Commander
# 133
08-11-2012, 06:03 PM
Curious, but will tractor mines drain shields just as the tractor beam does?
Commander
# 134
10-06-2012, 05:30 PM
Is this build still viable in PvE? Elite STFs and such. From what Ive read in other threads, CPB and TB are considered useless these days...
Lt. Commander
# 135
11-10-2012, 12:34 PM
I use this build alot, but.. I'm unsure of its effectiveness vs what it was like before as I made the character after the nerfs.

It is very effective in elite stfs... I can often solo cubes, and destroy an entire side on KASE on my own (sometimes before the others finish their side)

Against cubes the shield drain is effective.. just takes a bit to get the shield facings down completely. If you want to look me up ingame.. my handle is hunter.@mb52.. I can run through a few stfs and demo what the build can do?
Ensign
# 136
01-12-2013, 12:59 PM
Hello i was just wondering if this build is still viable and if it works on the sci multi-mission surveillence ship, also does the tractor beam shield drain work on the Danube Runabouts?
Ensign
# 137
02-05-2013, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sosuemeee View Post
Hello i was just wondering if this build is still viable and if it works on the sci multi-mission surveillence ship, also does the tractor beam shield drain work on the Danube Runabouts?
I was really wondering for an update on this as well. I just started playing again (haven't played since the first couple months after launch) And I want a science build that isn't just about healing shields. I found this thread and it sounds exactly like what I want but everywhere else says tachyon beam is useless.

another question, would this build still be usable for leveling? I don't have anywhere near fancy equipment being only level 21 currently so i'm not sure if all those extra little bits are mandatory for this being viable. (pve that is)
Lt. Commander
# 138
02-18-2013, 07:28 PM
Hey dumb question maybe, but how would you adapt this build to use say the omega plasma torp launcher?
Captain
# 139
02-19-2013, 06:21 AM
To answer slagdanny it is still viable in elite STF as I have used it and been able to at least kill all probes on KASE. However tachyon beam 3 will not remove a full shield facing so will require tractor beam or CPB. I also use the fleet recon science vessel instead of the intrepid, you can have tactical team on the recon but I would recommend taking hazard emitters 2 instead of science team and instead use conn officers to keep tactical team on the shortest cooldown you can. The fleet recon gains 4 tactical consoles, unlocks at tier 2 starbase and has ridiculously high shields.

You will find that it's very hard to keep a shield facing up without tactical team in elite STF now as you simply cannot heal the damage or distribute manually at a sufficient speed.

I have unlocked the plasma torp but from what I gather you can't have more than 1 and it doesn't seem to benefit from projectile doffs.

Oh and it's worth noting that you no longer get the 2 set bonus with the engines and assimilated console so either go full borg for the shield and hull heal proc or maco for the heavy graviton beam. The Graviton beam will stop the borg tractor beam and cutting beam combo if used when you or an ally get caught in the tractor beam.

You will also need 3-6 points in power insulators or the borg will decimate your shields with their tachyon beams (yes theirs are way stronger than yours can or ever will be and it is unfair) which even one can reduce your shields greatly, 2-3 spheres on ISE will remove your shields completely without insulators.

That is my experience with this build.
Ensign
# 140
02-25-2013, 05:06 PM
I made a similar build with a sci captain flying Recon Sci Vessel, using 2 photons and romulan torp front and 3 tetryon turrets aft for additional kick to shields. With 3 projectile doffs giving almost 50% proc chance and procing for all torps on cool down, I get torps shooting after global cool down almost all the time. I'm using 2-piece Adapted MACO (KHG-equivalent) set for torpedo damage bonus and the nice science skill bonuses from the deflector. My boffs are not efficient, and I don't cycle boff abilities. I use High Yield and Spread on tac, and also Gravity Well and Polarize Hull on sci boffs. My flow capacitors also aren't buffed up as much by consols because I also use one for Graviton Generators and one for Particle Generators to buff up my Gravity Well. I use higer rank tractor beam, though, since it lasts longer thus giving more of a total shield drain.

I do 3-4k dps in stfs which is not great but it is without shield drains which are not logged by the game. Not a killer ship or anything, especially with my high-dps team that wipes the mobs in seconds, but still able to contribute necessary effort to a quick elite stf.