Lt. Commander
# 11
04-30-2012, 12:06 PM
I could use a shuttle interior map for sure! I would love to edit "Golems" and add a map of things that were done in an ambassedor's shuttle trying to stop a runaway,. sabotaged shuttle!

I have a mission to be published very soon, "Rise of the Vodoni", which has a moon map that suggests using EVA suits, for npc's I made a scene where the Captain of an Npc ship establishes and shows players captured Breen suits to use for expermental EVA suits; it allows me to excuse using the said Breen assets as npc's in EVA later on the moon map.

But I could really use some Npc EVA suited assets! male and female.

A landed Bird of Prey asset would be great too, for KDF and Fed missions.
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-30-2012, 08:10 PM
I don't know how to force a player to wear the EVA suit.

If there's a way to do it, I'd like to know what it is, because one of the two missions I am working on right now requires both a small ship and an EVA suit. (By "require", I mean strongly suggested, or else it might play weird), as the environment involved is completely unreasonable, let alone breathable.
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-30-2012, 08:48 PM
Have I had any ideas using it? Yes. But until we are given a chance to force players into it, I don't plan on pursuing it. I understand a lot of people like the RP value in doing so, but to me I'd rather force them into it. Otherwise I'm just begging for a bunch of reviews that say: "Why is my character running around in space without a suit?"
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-30-2012, 09:22 PM
Quote:
"Why is my character running around in space without a suit?"
I use the OOC color to tell players ooc for rp purposes use the EVA suits, otherwise i created an alternative explanation )such as the force field belts of the animated series)
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-30-2012, 09:47 PM
Ratings be damned.

I've played STO Foundry missions (the titles which elude me at the moment) where I was asked to change into dress uniform.

As the Foundry evolves, the mission play will take risks. It's whether or not Foundry authors want to take the chance. I think it's perfectly reasonable to press players into some role-playing, like donning a dress uniform, or an EV suit -- as long as they know there's an option not to change if they're ill-equipped.

I'll contact some of you privately over the next few days for actual examples within your missions.

Like most articles, it'll get posted, then get lost in the crush of new content. But maybe it will inspire some Foundry folks to "think outside the box" -- and experiment accordingly with their missions.

Given the limited number of objects, maps, assets, emotions, etc. to work from, we Foundry authors have to keep innovating. We might as well think about what else we can innovate with.
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-01-2012, 12:49 AM
While we are on the subject of this, I experimented with something that I feel is unique in my "Rise Of The Vodoni" upcoming mission--

An ENTIRE map devoted to an "optional" series of roleplaying romantic encounters in a loungue of Npc ship.

What I did was place many many npc's that can be approached for seduction purposes, with regards to gender and race being ignored as some tabs say things like "If your species/gender preferences would allow for.." for male and female interactive chances.

Each said Npc has detailed branching dialog options, you CAN have sex with them but it does not violate the EULA Tos because it says it in a very PG manner some example being "She takes you back to her quarters for an unforgettable evening".

The players have the option to SKIP the entire map by clicking an object at the bar as a transition, they are forewarned this entire map is optional and not forced.

I plan to update the encounters bi weekly and will promote this as a "replay" value for people to play my mission multible times and get a different option or new npc's to flirt with in the future replays.

How's that for thinking outside the box?
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-01-2012, 12:00 PM
The mission sounds nice. I think I am going to play it after the challenge #2 is finished (still need to play every mission on the list).

I do like the EVA suits a lot. Every time I walk on that asteroid from the daily I turn of all music to get the "feeling" of silence in space. Looking forward to more EVA mission.

Unfortunately it's a little sad that my boffs can't wear it. So I think they have to wait at the spawn point ^^
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-01-2012, 02:02 PM
My next mission would have taken place on this moon base deserted long ago:
http://www.sto-advanced.com/screensh...1-22-56-22.jpg
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-01-2012, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendra80 View Post
My next mission would have taken place on this moon base deserted long ago:
http://www.sto-advanced.com/screensh...1-22-56-22.jpg
Would have... sounds so past tense! Please tell us you are still going to release a mission with this map.
Lt. Commander
# 20
05-02-2012, 08:06 AM
Regarding EVA suits, you clearly can't force their use but you could indicate up top of the mission select text that you SHOULD have one. Another (admittedly cheesy) solution is to have an option that allows your character to opt for trying an "experimental" PSG modification that retains a breathable atmosphere around the player for a couple of hours. Not idea but ST was always like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
What I wish is that we . . . could specify a player-only away team. Of course that's something we've been asking for from day 1 and we all know how that's gone.
There is a way to do that on some maps--sorta. Have your landing party spawn in a corner with the walls spreading out in a V shape with the center of the spawn point just inside the open area. Your officers form to the sides and behind your captain (always in the center) and if there isn't room for them they just don't appear at all.

If the mission involves multiple maps this would have to be done at every transition however and in an outdoor environment it can be hard to arrange.