Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 31
04-11-2012, 05:03 PM
I know from Steam that there are more people playing through steam then there were before F2P. I check the stats page fairly regularly and before F2P STO would hover in the 200-500 range of concurrent players.

STO was hitting 10000 concurrent users when they launched Free to Play on Steam. They are now in the 2500-3500 range. So yes that is down, but that is still FIVE times what it used to hit. Also not everyone plays STO through Steam. Just from the amount of players and Instances that I can see in STO now, versus pre-F2P, I can tell the population has increased considerably.

Before F2P, even ESD wouldnt go beyond 5 instances.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 32
04-11-2012, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuui View Post
nor does it calculate how many of those hits actually get the game, and play it, it is nothing more than what it is, an indicator.

less people visiting the site, less getting the game, less getting the game, less playing the game, less playing the game, less potential revenue. less potential revenue, less development, less development more people leave the game.

so, like I said, it is an indicator of potential.
That it is an indicator is only your opinion. Again, wild speculation and assumption. Nothing about it indicates fewer people playing the game. I could, for instance, only visit the site once ever and continue to play the game for 2 years straight every day, 8 hours per day. Nothing about those "indications" would show that because it is only showing data coming from the STO site, not what is actually going on in the game world. Not to mention any new players that signed up through Perfect Worlds site or downloaded the client via Steam. Or, as five of my friends did, simply grab the install files off of my shared drive and install the game that way.

Quite literally, unless you were a network admin working specifically on user accounts and stratics for Cryptic Studios, you'll never be able to provide any hard data for the "indicators" you claim. And even if you WERE one of their switch throwing monkeys, you still wouldn't be able to provide the numbers because they don't allow it.

Honestly, I can't see any point to this entire thread. The only reason to post a "Is F2P really working?" thread is to troll. Because absolutely nobody here could ever give any hard data saying one way or the other. And what you keep saying are indicators...just aren't. They might be in your mind...but when you look at all the possibilities, they don't indicate jack.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 33
04-11-2012, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synther View Post
On the surface, that actually sounds like it makes sense. Until you realize that none of the stratics sites are every calculating players leaving the game. Therefore, your entire theory is just that....wild speculation and assumption. And again, still not enough data to ever raise the question as to whether or not F2P is "working" or not.
I can say, in general, that games whose population numbers are known do correspond with the curve found on their website's activity.

Is the correlation perfect? Probably not. Is it true for all games? Probably not. One factor is how well their community site is designed and whether it engages people at the same rate as the game.

I know ******** and Eve both had peaks and valleys that aligned with their web traffic.

The numbers were not the same, obviously, because website activity tracking is imperfect and is also an imperfect measure of in-game activity.

But the trend lines matched up.

That's why I decided to look at this. Not for empirical data but to see what the flawed data looked like.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 34
04-11-2012, 05:16 PM
hmm
here is a stat for you, courtesy of steam.
Current MAX Game
2,546 3,161 Star Trek Online
4,268 7,179 Age Of Empires Online

AOEO, which TBH frank, i didn't know even existed. has double the max players today and 1,700 more current. Hell APB Reloaded, is beating STO today.

This stat page could be used to monitor things for a set time period if one wanted to get an actual idea. From what I recall though, the peak at Steam relaunch was 7k folks. which still isnt' that much.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 35
04-11-2012, 05:18 PM
One thing to consider is that a disproportionate number of F2P gamers seem to use Steam.

I won't deny that there are more instances and that things in game LOOK better than they were before.

I'm just not sure we're holding most of them very well.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 36
04-12-2012, 03:54 PM
Updated: Well, it had better be working now that there are jackets that cost $85 per character,per gender, per style, skirts and earrings not included.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 37
04-12-2012, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuui View Post
hmm
here is a stat for you, courtesy of steam.
Current MAX Game
2,546 3,161 Star Trek Online
4,268 7,179 Age Of Empires Online

AOEO, which TBH frank, i didn't know even existed. has double the max players today and 1,700 more current. Hell APB Reloaded, is beating STO today.

This stat page could be used to monitor things for a set time period if one wanted to get an actual idea. From what I recall though, the peak at Steam relaunch was 7k folks. which still isnt' that much.
To be fair, AOEO was released in August 2011 (but not on Steam) so it is a bit newer than STO.

AOEO was released on Steam for the first time on March 27th, 2012. So there may be some "new shiny syndrome" involved with Steam's current numbers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Empires_Online
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 38
04-12-2012, 04:18 PM
Analyzing traffic to the website is a poor indicator. Of course when the new freepers were new they were hitting up the site a lot for instruction and advice. They don't need as much of that now, so they visit the site less.

I don't know what a good indicator would be, but I see people everywhere, and instance counts going sky high. Seems like the population is pretty healthy, and in interviews they say they are making good scratch since F2P.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 39
04-12-2012, 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuui View Post
hmm
here is a stat for you, courtesy of steam.
Current MAX Game
2,546 3,161 Star Trek Online
4,268 7,179 Age Of Empires Online

AOEO, which TBH frank, i didn't know even existed. has double the max players today and 1,700 more current. Hell APB Reloaded, is beating STO today.

This stat page could be used to monitor things for a set time period if one wanted to get an actual idea. From what I recall though, the peak at Steam relaunch was 7k folks. which still isnt' that much.
And still, these stats don't really tell us much. You're looking at one puzzle piece and trying to say that you have the entire picture. You most certainly do not.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 40
04-12-2012, 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synther View Post
And still, these stats don't really tell us much. You're looking at one puzzle piece and trying to say that you have the entire picture. You most certainly do not.
Where do I say I have the entire puzzle? I don't. I say I have numbers and things could be, indicators, not that I have all the answers, cause if I did, I sure as heck wouldn't be here.

As for AOEO, Like I said, didn't know it existed, thou i am familiar with the franchise.

Now as a second day of stats, lets look a the 2 again.

Current Max Game
2,613 3,148 Star Trek Online
3,922 6,427 Age Of Empires Online
And lets add APB as of today

2,681 4,004 APB Reloaded

The third is on there now since I mentioned them the last time, once again I know little about the game, but I know it exists.

I intend to post these three from today will Monday or Tuesday just for reference. Lets see what tomorrow brings, as we have new content, and a new event tomorrow.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:35 PM.