Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
I'm new to this, so bear with me. I've done all the episodes, and patrolled all the systems. Now what? Do I just go back and do all the episodes again? Is that all this game is about? I know I can do research to make better weapons and shields, but why, if that's all there is to do? I'm working on getting enough diplomacy points to open the first contact missions, but that is a ways off. I've even tried starting a new character and got up to vice admiral (50) without doing any of the episodes so I could get all the "stuff" at the highest level. So, now what?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-11-2012, 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHeston
I'm new to this, so bear with me. I've done all the episodes, and patrolled all the systems. Now what? Do I just go back and do all the episodes again? Is that all this game is about? I know I can do research to make better weapons and shields, but why, if that's all there is to do? I'm working on getting enough diplomacy points to open the first contact missions, but that is a ways off. I've even tried starting a new character and got up to vice admiral (50) without doing any of the episodes so I could get all the "stuff" at the highest level. So, now what?

Now, you can start interacting with your Fleet and let them know it's okay to talk to you again.

This is an MMO, not a single-player game. At least half (if not more) of it is flying with and against other players. So you're done all the single-player missions? Good for you. Now, how about trying your hand at PVP? What about Role Play? How about hanging out on Risa and talk with your Fleet about their game? How about helping new players learn the game? How about trying out the Foundry?

Based on the tone of your post, I have the impression you have ignored all of the above to date, and if so, I can understand why you might feel like there isn't anything 'more' to the game once you make VA and finish off all the episodes. But that is only a fraction of what is in the game, and I hope you will open your mind to the rest of it.

In a single-person game, the goal is to grind up levels and equipment so you can get to the end. In an MMO, there is no end to get to except the one you place on yourself. It is the playing of the game with those around you that -is- the goal, not a means to get to a goal.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-11-2012, 10:14 PM
After losing a friend of 35 years to WoW, I won't be doing any PvP, or Fleet missions. I guess I've reached the end of this game.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-11-2012, 10:26 PM
Quote:
After losing a friend of 35 years to WoW, I won't be doing any PvP, or Fleet missions. I guess I've reached the end of this game.
Sorry to hear that, but I do hope you enjoyed the game as far as you could go with it. Good luck, and I hope you find a form of game more suited to you than MMOs.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-12-2012, 07:39 AM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies. ~Alecto
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-12-2012, 05:22 PM
Foundry missions, and writing foundry missions.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-13-2012, 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark666
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies. ~Alecto
Somehow I don't think that the "loss" of his friend was a defection from STO to WoW...
Remember "Evercrack syndrome"?

To the OP: There's accolade hunting and dilithium grinding. Set your sights on completing some of the "collections" available that don't necessarily require a fleet. The Borg "Red alert" fights. Grind enough dilithium and convert to C-points to build a massive ship or uniform collection. Play this like a facebook game and keep grinding away at the DOff commendations (if you're not familiar, you log in periodically, start a handful of missions, log off, return after X hours and a handful of missions complete, collect, restart). Re-replay the missions on elite (if you haven't already). You could try the STFs with nothing but pick up groups, but from what I read they can be... notoriously unreliable... which could lead to much frustration. Take a break and wait for the next new event / FE / season...

Also, don't be afraid to try out a fleet. Star Trek games tend to draw other mature gamers who know what it's like to have more of a life than grinding out raids and doing 24-7 fleet (guild) support. I speak firsthand of this, I played multiplayer Starfleet Command II through the birth of two children, even reaching "high command" rank for a lot of the server campaigns. (SFC is a bit of a Star Trek wargame, not much story, all PvP and Player vs AI). Was never griefed when I had to take a break from the online action to feed a kid or even skip an entire campaign because of the pending arrival of my third child. The only trick is finding a fleet like this...
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-13-2012, 12:08 PM
You're right, I didn't lose my friend from STO to WoW. I met him when I was 14 and in high school. I was there when his marriage broke up, when he lost his job, and when his parents died. He started doing WoW, and I haven't heard from him since he ignored me when I stopped over to see him almost 2 yrs. ago. If he prefers his virtual friends to his real friends, that's his decision. I won't do PvP, or Fleet missions because I don't want to become just like him. He also gained 40 pounds, and his wife said he hardly ever goes out anymore. I find it hard to believe that he's the only person that this has happened to.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-13-2012, 12:14 PM
Quote:
I was there when his marriage broke up, when he lost his job, and when his parents died.
Sounds like WoW is not the issue here but the escape from the real issue. Try and get your friend some help, if you can.

Edited for spelling.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-13-2012, 01:17 PM
Quote:
I won't do PvP, or Fleet missions because I don't want to become just like him.
Simply participating in Fleet Actions or PvP doesn't guarantee that outcome. I'm in a casual fleet, we run a few Fleet Actions or STFs every weekend, and that's about it. (I avoid PvP, but for a different reason - I suck at it.) I still hold a full time job and spend plenty of time with my family.