Lt. Commander
# 11
04-12-2012, 01:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwile
im sure those of you all hate those #@!$&*% spheres and tractor beams and shield neutralizer, but the only defenses against them, hazard emitters for the shields, and either polarized hull or attack pattern omega for the tractor beam, are then greyed out for some stupid reason when you get hit, FOR 15 SECONDS, and by then, youre dead anyways, so whats the point if you cant even use them?
They are getting you with a Boarding Team and you need to use your Tac Team to clear it or they mess up your cooldowns until you do.

Quote:
donatra......
first of al, that ship should have half that hull strength, for said reasons, but also, we have 5 tractor beams and a grappler on you and you can still cloak?...thats just bull, really? not only that, but the stupid power charge thingy weapon killed me like 5 times when
A- i wasnt even in the way (and im serious about this, cuase the rest of my teamates saw this)
B-had respawn protection
C-was VERY far away...
Sometimes due to the nature of a 3D world on a flat screen your not sure which way she is really facing and in the Arc. I've also noticed sometimes her blast can fire off near instantly and that you do get caught near the edge when you think your safe. It could also be some noob using his Tractor Beam Repulsors and pushing her cone back onto you.

Quote:
last thing (i think): how the hell am i supposed to get anything done when every time i get within 9.9 km of a %$@#!& cube or gateway, it throws its entire arsenal at me and within 2 seonds im dead, invisi torps or not (and that problem isnt funny anymore, its just plain annoying, or worse...) so now, i have to repsawn 50 billion times during an stf, can even use my MVA mode cuase within 30 secs i die and waste it, and i cant contribute whatsoever so then eveybody gets ****ed off at me for something i have no control over...
Gates have huge blind spots about 9k out and at the sides, you can park and shoot there, heck turn on autofire and go put the kettle on. Cubes don't have blindspots, the best you can do is not be in torpedo arc.

Quote:
PS: infected space: give us a $#!%@&* break from the *$#@^!% NANITE spheres every once and a while...
Each time you Kill a Generator the Gateway spawns a Nanite Sphere, 2 Generators dead Spawn a Sphere and 4 Generators dead spawn 2 bonus Nanite Spheres. Total 8 Various Spheres. You get 2 Spheres from killing 2 Generators as well. The solution to this is to kill the Generators together, but your in PUG ques so there is a mandatory player who kills a Generator while everyone takes out the Cube. Can anybody offer more insight into the Sphere spawns on Infected? I think I'm right but not 100% sure.
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-12-2012, 01:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKnight1000
They are getting you with a Boarding Team and you need to use your Tac Team to clear it or they mess up your cooldowns until you do.

boarding teams will shut down a random system on your ship for a number of seconds, like shields. in PvP its a killer. it's not just messing about with CD's

Sometimes due to the nature of a 3D world on a flat screen your not sure which way she is really facing and in the Arc. I've also noticed sometimes her blast can fire off near instantly and that you do get caught near the edge when you think your safe. It could also be some noob using his Tractor Beam Repulsors and pushing her cone back onto you.

Gates have huge blind spots about 9k out and at the sides, you can park and shoot there, heck turn on autofire and go put the kettle on. Cubes don't have blindspots, the best you can do is not be in torpedo arc.

actually, that doesnt work half the time, i have tried it and gotten shot down on these 'blindspots'.

Each time you Kill a Generator the Gateway spawns a Nanite Sphere, 2 Generators dead Spawn a Sphere and 4 Generators dead spawn 2 bonus Nanite Spheres. Total 8 Various Spheres. You get 2 Spheres from killing 2 Generators as well. The solution to this is to kill the Generators together, but your in PUG ques so there is a mandatory player who kills a Generator while everyone takes out the Cube. Can anybody offer more insight into the Sphere spawns on Infected? I think I'm right but not 100% sure.

the idea for inf stf is simple, get the 4 generators to 10%, shoot em down and focus all fire on the larger generator before the trans-gated spheres arrive. do the same with the otherside to avoid alot of DPS/spike damage being diverted away into dealing with probes and spheres. but you should also be careful when the 4 generators are gone, as you will be dealing with 1 sphere and 2 warpins.
my answers in red.
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-12-2012, 02:47 AM
The AI in this game isn't very good and for sure many npc have much hull strengh or deal great damage... however I do not think you are right. Stf mission (especially elite ones) are not so easy but they aren't so difficult. If you fail the mission (or the optional only), 99% is because of players who do not do it right or do not have a decent build (es "rainbow" equiped ships, bad mix of bridge officer's abilities...).

For example, in infected space is important to destroy the nanite generators at the some time, so you have the time to destroy the nanite transformer before sphere arrival. If you fail in destroyng them at the some moment, without the help of a good scientist (gravity well / tractor beam repulsor...) for sure you'll fail the optional (and not only).
Moreover all stf require a decent overral dps and if you do not like to respawn more and more, you need to have a good choise of ability (avoiding too many shared cooldown) and good choise of the moment when using them.
Finally is important that all players look at the chat and coordinate their actions.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-19-2012, 06:07 PM
if you see donatra's wings unfolding RUN LIKE !@@$$#@!!$!!! Behind her. That way, the weapon won't one-shot you. I agree, Scmitars are OP. On cutting the cord I died 15 times at 30 second intervals fighting the Leahval.
Lt. Commander
# 15 Orly...
04-19-2012, 06:28 PM
This game is supposed to be hard?

A lot of this boils down to watching an NPC do the same thing over and over again and then you have to do something that counters it.
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-19-2012, 07:05 PM
The STF Borg are supposed to be hard. Two spheres are supposed to be better than any one player ship. That is the whole point of STFs. If people do not have good builds, powers, and tactics, and cooperate and work as a team the Borg will gang up on them and overwhelm them.

But, no Borg NPC or ship (save maybe the Tactical cube) is better than two or three properly equipped players working as a team.
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-19-2012, 08:29 PM
I fired an Emission Seeking Quantum at Donatra once. Scored a hit.

Didn't drop her cloak. Didn't drain her impulse engines. Didn't even do any damage. All it did was tick her off so much she spent the rest of the match targeting only me with her ship-kabooming weapon.
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-20-2012, 02:14 AM
no Ship should have more shields and health than its class mates purely to wind people up

if a probe is a probe its a probe (and should be destroyed exactly as easily as any other probe)
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-20-2012, 02:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax
no Ship should have more shields and health than its class mates purely to wind people up

if a probe is a probe its a probe (and should be destroyed exactly as easily as any other probe)
Don't equate show/canon relevant qualities with game mechanics.
STFs would be even easier if probes were "just probes".
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-20-2012, 02:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by synkr0nized
Don't equate show/canon relevant qualities with game mechanics.
STFs would be even easier if probes were "just probes".
Off canon ships are Cheating.

The Borg CUBES can be as tough as they like (of course if rammed by a ship at warp they would instantly retrovate (disintegrate) due to the laws of physics)

its an interesting point that a solid object moving faster than light CAN'T be defended against by a force field.