Lt. Commander
# 11
04-12-2012, 05:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaddam
that movie is based on something that happen in real life be like don a video of something like his video but about 9/11
or pearl harbor
Okay, Titanic sunk. That much is 'based on real life'.

Sadly, a great deal of the movie is historically inaccurate. Firstly, Jack and Rose didn't exist. These were completely fictional characters based on someone's imagination. No-one actually claimed that Titanic was unsinkable - granted, White Star Line's internal newspaper/magazine made reference to her being virtually unsinkable, but the myth about her being unsinkable was a by-product that came about subsequent to her sinking. History records that Ismay wasn't a coward and was seen to have actually helped a good number of women and children board the lifeboat he himself boarded, and the subsequent board of enquiry said that had he not done so "he would simply have been yet another name on the causuality list". Besides, the quesiton has been asked many times - what WAS he supposed to do? He wasn't an officer/member of the Titanic's crew, nor was he technically an ordinary passenger. Of course, moviemakers don't like facts that hinder drama and prefer to depict him as he is seen, James Cameron even going so far as to say that "it is what moviegoers expect".
I hate the movie anyway - it's not really about the Titanic, it's about Jack, Rose, and the situation that THEY put themselves in. You could place Jack and Rose in a burning building and produce the same storyline.

I could continue, but there are plenty of websites pertaining to the myths surrounding Titanic and the myths surrounding her.
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-12-2012, 05:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
1430 people clicked dislike.

i ....i don't understand
Lol i was wondering the same thing, man.

Kudos for the OP for sharing the link.
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-12-2012, 05:44 AM
Quote:
that movie is based on something that happen in real life be like don a video of something like his video but about 9/11
or pearl harbor
I think it's quite clearly poking fun at the film and the directors it mentions, not the fact that a cruise liner struck an iceburg and sunk with a large loss of life a hundred years ago.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-12-2012, 12:14 PM
It has been 100 years since the Titanic sunk. There are no living survivors, nor are there any persons left that actually remember first hand any of the victims.

Certainly enough time has passed that some fun can be had, just as other historic events and tragedies are similarly poked at and made fun.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-12-2012, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebeneezergoode
I think it's quite clearly poking fun at the film and the directors it mentions, not the fact that a cruise liner struck an iceburg and sunk with a large loss of life a hundred years ago.

Exactly. I wasnt even going to respond to it personally. Haters gonna hate. With that said, anything can be funny if done with the right context..such as this vid.
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-12-2012, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpVis View Post
It has been 100 years since the Titanic sunk. There are no living survivors, nor are there any persons left that actually remember first hand any of the victims.

Certainly enough time has passed that some fun can be had, just as other historic events and tragedies are similarly poked at and made fun.
don't mean there family's are there kid's so on has enough time passed to make fun of 9/11? what about that movie pearl harbor whit Ben Affleck so on in it going to poke fun at that to?
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-12-2012, 01:32 PM
Quote:
don't mean there family's are there kid's so on has enough time passed to make fun of 9/11? what about that movie pearl harbor whit Ben Affleck so on in it going to poke fun at that to?
There are no children of anybody that died on Titanic left either.

By 2101 I am sure enough time will have passed for people to make light of 9/11.

Making fun of tragic circumstances has a long tradition for example:

“McHale’s Navy” made lite of WWII
“Hogan’s Heroes” made lite of WWII
“M*A*S*H” made lite of the Korean War
“1941” made lite of WWII
“Kelly’s Heroes” made lite of WWII
“Dirty Dozen” made lite of WWII
"Time Bandits" made lite of sevral time periods including the Napoleonic Wars and the RMS Titanic.
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-12-2012, 01:39 PM
I would like to also point out that WKRP in Cincinatti brilliantly lampooned the Hindenburg disaster in the episode "Turkeys Away"
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-12-2012, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpVis View Post
There are no children of anybody that died on Titanic left either.

By 2101 I am sure enough time will have passed for people to make light of 9/11.

Making fun of tragic circumstances has a long tradition for example:

“McHale’s Navy” made lite of WWII
“Hogan’s Heroes” made lite of WWII
“M*A*S*H” made lite of the Korean War
“1941” made lite of WWII
“Kelly’s Heroes” made lite of WWII
“Dirty Dozen” made lite of WWII
"Time Bandits" made lite of sevral time periods including the Napoleonic Wars and the RMS Titanic.
so your all knowing they didn't stop haveing kids ya know
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-12-2012, 01:52 PM
Quote:
so your all knowing they didn't stop haveing kids ya know
If they were dead they did not. As I said there are no living children of anybody that died on Titanic left either.

Even if there were, after an indefinate passage of time, such things are subject to being sources of humor.

Once an event has thoroughly imbedded itself into the culture, they become part of our language, part of our cultural shorthand, it influences our stories, and is found in most all aspects of our lives, including film, television, music and yes, even comedy