Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content
Login

Lt. Commander
I'm getting a bit tired of grinding on Elite STFs and still not one Tech drop. I've done hundreds of Elites now. I've fully kitted out my ship with Mk XII weasponds through all the prototype salvage drops, but still not even one piece of tech.

Now, I appreciate that this si for elite players, and those who work hard at the game. But I am a gold member and once I have invested money AND hours and hours of grinding time I expect at least one or two to show up in that time.

Very frustrating.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-12-2012, 01:04 AM
Because they want us to grind for a really long time, so that we stay for that special loot that everyone is hunting for.

Now the next question is of cause: "why"?

Easy... the longer you stick around to get that special loot, the longer they have to subject you to things in the C-Store, increasing the chances of you buying stuff from there...

At least that is what seems to be their thinking pattern.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-12-2012, 09:54 AM
It's not to often you see a player in game that has a full mk XII costume set. I think it is a sign to show you are an elite player. I would hate to see them change the drop rate and suddenly we have a flood of players wearing completed costumes.

This being said, I have run a little over 300 STF's and do not have one completed mk XII set space or ground. I do find it frustrating that in the end it all comes down to the randomness of drops. Why not reward a proto tech drop for number of times a particular elite mission has been completed in addition to the random drops.This could be tied into the accolade system. Even if the completed missions required are high, like 50 plus or so, at least we would feel like we are working towards something other than just grinding for nothing. Unfortunately what Anazonda says is probably all to true and we will continue to see no changes to this flawed system.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-12-2012, 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkincrow
I think it is a sign to show you are an elite player.
Define how getting ridiculously lucky makes you an elite player? There's absolutely no personal skill or effort that determines whether or not you get the Mk. 12 set.

I think changing the mechanic so it actually required skill and/or effort rather than luck would give much more meaning to the set even if it did make it more common in the game.

As it is now they might as well give the set out via the lockboxes...
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-12-2012, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueheart
Define how getting ridiculously lucky makes you an elite player? There's absolutely no personal skill or effort that determines whether or not you get the Mk. 12 set.

I think changing the mechanic so it actually required skill and/or effort rather than luck would give much more meaning to the set even if it did make it more common in the game.

As it is now they might as well give the set out via the lockboxes...
THis is it for me really. At least with the old Borg set a player was good enough to have run the longer STFs all the way through and got a reward to show for their efforts (eve if it was easier than it is now). It's the same for the Aegis set, you knew that if you kept on grinding and giving up your time and effort sooner or later you'd get a special reward.

But, with this, I could play a thousand Elites and get nothing, whereas, in theory, some noob dirtbag could play six and get the whole set. That's just not fair.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-12-2012, 01:11 PM
Whenever I see some one with a mk xii costume set I never think, "There's a player who got lucky". Most I talked to told me they had to grind 500 to 1k missions to get all their gear. I would call someone "Elite" if they put in that much time on the STF missions. It is highly unlikely anyone could run 6 missions and get everything or even 100 for that matter. I agree with the points being made here and said as much in my first post. It's all based on random drops and it shouldn't be, so don't just increase the rate of random drops to solve this problem.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-12-2012, 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkincrow
Whenever I see some one with a mk xii costume set I never think, "There's a player who got lucky". Most I talked to told me they had to grind 500 to 1k missions to get all their gear. I would call someone "Elite" if they put in that much time on the STF missions. It is highly unlikely anyone could run 6 missions and get everything or even 100 for that matter. I agree with the points being made here and said as much in my first post. It's all based on random drops and it shouldn't be, so don't just increase the rate of random drops to solve this problem.
You can think "There's a player who got lucky" because it is a matter of luck and not skill. When I began to run STFs some 3 months ago I got 4 elite shield tech drops (2 space and 2 ground) in little to no time. And it was when I was learning how to play the STFs with the help of some ppl from a fleet. So, I was a noob on a elite STF, doing little to nothing just observing how the others play and I got the elite loot.

Now, as I approach the mark of 200 STFs I'm yet to see another drop. It is a matter of luck only.

The full set would be a symbol of skill if you needed to achieve something to get it. For example: you would get an Elite ground weapon requisition for each 10.000.000 ground damage your captain inflict on the enemies ou you would get a Elite ground shield requisition after 5.000.000 points in shield regeneration. Those numbers must be wrong but the principle is right. You are actually achieving something besides I good roll on a 100 face dice.

And you can add a lot to this math with bonus for Elite drones killed, or nodes destroyed, buffs applied to team mates and debuffs to enemies. Bonus for achieving the mission optional and a lot more.

Today, I can not fill good after a match where I do a lot of the work and the guy who was afk the entire time gets the tech. I is just wrong.

And I will not even mention the optional loot where you have a chance of getting absolutely nothing!
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-12-2012, 03:09 PM
To add to it the Ground STF's suck, and we only have 3 Space end game STF's, yes 3! Appalling!
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-12-2012, 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fewzz View Post
To add to it the Ground STF's suck, and we only have 3 Space end game STF's, yes 3! Appalling!
C'mon, they dont suck! A lot of ppl suck on them, thats the truth.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-12-2012, 07:21 PM
There should be "Elite EDCs" that drop from Elite STFs. If the prices of the XII gear had to be significantly higher than XIs, fine, but at least we would know that if we worked hard enough, we would get it.

Cryptic, people have done HUNDREDS of these and NEVER gotten a drop! THIS IS NOT A GOOD PLAYER RETENTION STRATEGY!