Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
04-12-2012, 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkincrow
Whenever I see some one with a mk xii costume set I never think, "There's a player who got lucky". Most I talked to told me they had to grind 500 to 1k missions to get all their gear. I would call someone "Elite" if they put in that much time on the STF missions. It is highly unlikely anyone could run 6 missions and get everything or even 100 for that matter.
Well, I think it would be more accurate to say that based on the present drop rates it is more likely that a person with a full set has had to grind endlessly. But, notwithstanding, it is still random, so what I have suggested still applies. The fact is that one player may get the full set after 100 runs, whereas another may have to do 5000 runs and still be waiting for his last piece. No way is that fair.
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-12-2012, 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChup47
Well, I think it would be more accurate to say that based on the present drop rates it is more likely that a person with a full set has had to grind endlessly. But, notwithstanding, it is still random, so what I have suggested still applies. The fact is that one player may get the full set after 100 runs, whereas another may have to do 5000 runs and still be waiting for his last piece. No way is that fair.
It's a horribly broken system.
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-12-2012, 09:47 PM
Id be happy with EDCS being used to trade up..say 20 for 1 token..and you need 10 tokens to earn your MKI XII gear....hey its better then chance...and it gives people who are committed something to work for.

this on top of the chance of getting on magically that is.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-12-2012, 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by N0vastar
Id be happy with EDCS being used to trade up..say 20 for 1 token..and you need 10 tokens to earn your MKI XII gear....hey its better then chance...and it gives people who are committed something to work for.

this on top of the chance of getting on magically that is.
Agreed. I like the suggestion above regarding Elite Data Chips.

There are any number of ways it could be done. For instance, for every ten Elite STFs you run you get an Elite Data chip as well as the normal data chip drops. 40 Elite data chips would entitle you to one piece. Sure that means you'd still have to do hundreds to get all the sets, but at least you'd be on your way and when you walked around in your full costume, people would know you've worked hard at the top level for it, no had chance and luck on your side.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-12-2012, 09:54 PM
Quote:
Agreed. I like the suggestion above regarding Elite Data Chips.

There are any number of ways it could be done. For instance, for every ten Elite STFs you run you get an Elite Data chip as well as the normal data chip drops. 40 Elite data chips would entitle you to one piece. Sure that means you'd still have to do hundreds to get all the sets, but at least you'd be on your way and when you walked around in your full costume, people would know you've worked hard at the top level for it, no had chance and luck on your side.
it's true...hardwork should net you the best rewards. Sure casuals might complain that they can't have it....but not everything in life can be obtained casually...why should games be different...give us a reason to want to be the best..even if it takes forever...and hey...we reap the rewards proudly.
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-12-2012, 10:06 PM
Well that's the point. If you are casual then you can never be one of the games top players.

A casual footballer is never going to win the top trophies or compete in the best leagues if he just plays now and again. Instead is has to train and compete tirelessly to win himself the best rewards. The same should be true of the STF rewards.
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-14-2012, 04:44 PM
They are listening. Gozer says he's "slightly" increasing the tech drops.

Also, adding a ton of counter-intuitive features to STF's. Presumably to compensate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic_Gozer
Hi Folks,

Just wanted to drop in and give you info on a STF update that "should" be in next weeks (04/20/12) patch to Holodeck.

All STFs -

Drop rate for Mark XII Borg Tech has been slightly increased for Elite difficulty.

A new Death / Re-spawn timer has been added to all ground and space STFs on both difficulty settings (Normal / Elite) - More information on how this works below.

KA Ground (Normal / Elite) -

Players must defeat the Borg in the upper level of the facility before they can proceed into the lower portion of the base. This means players can no longer run past and or totally ignore the Borg in the upper levels of the base.

The optional objective timer will now start as soon as players leave the first room (the one you spawn into).

New Re-spawn Mechanic -

Currently in the game when a player is defeated the "Re-Spawn" button appears after 15 seconds. This happens every 15 seconds no matter how many time a player dies on any given map / mission.

After the next patch the re-spawn mechanic on STFs (and only on STFs at the moment) will work a little differently.

Every time a player dies and re-spawns on a STF the time for the "Re-Spawn" button to appear will get a little longer. This timer starts at 15 seconds and increments an additional 15 seconds each time a player dies and uses the button to re-spawn. The re-spawn timer will keep going up until the cap is reached. The cap is 120 seconds (2 full min).

On ground STFs dead players can still be revived by other team members (assuming they are still alive of course) and bypass the new timer.

There is also an attrition timer that will reset the built up extra re-spawn time on the player if the player goes 5 min without a defeat / re-spawn.

Let me give you an example...

I die the first time - 15 sec before I can re-spawn
I die again (in less than 5 min from the last death) - 30 sec before I can re-spawn
I die again (in less than 5 min from the last death) - 45 sec before I can re-spawn

I think you see where this is going... all the way up to 120 seconds.

However if at any point the time between deaths exceeds 5 min, the reset timer is set back down to the default 15 seconds, and the stacking is reset.

Goz

Given the mechanics of how all that works, it's more like a net loss then anything else.

The topic's here if you want to comment or leave feedback. http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=266088

Hasn't been a dev response on everyone saying the STF changes are a horrible idea since page 5 though. The original response was just to say that they're going to fix a few of the bugs with the STF's that arbitrarily kill people by the time of the release of this update. No word on bugs like the running Borg bug, or other similar issues, though. Nevermind the balance issues this introduces.

I'm looking forward to dying because the LFG system just pairs people together without any thought on their load out, gear level, or skill set, leading to me getting a horrible team set up against the Borg.
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-15-2012, 10:07 AM
Quote:
I'm getting a bit tired of grinding on Elite STFs and still not one Tech drop. I've done hundreds of Elites now. I've fully kitted out my ship with Mk XII weasponds through all the prototype salvage drops, but still not even one piece of tech.

Now, I appreciate that this si for elite players, and those who work hard at the game. But I am a gold member and once I have invested money AND hours and hours of grinding time I expect at least one or two to show up in that time.

Very frustrating.
They have listened and replied on several occasions. Their position (cryptic devs) is the current system in place for loot drops will remain
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-15-2012, 10:42 AM
Quote:
I'm getting a bit tired of grinding on Elite STFs and still not one Tech drop. I've done hundreds of Elites now. I've fully kitted out my ship with Mk XII weasponds through all the prototype salvage drops, but still not even one piece of tech.

Now, I appreciate that this si for elite players, and those who work hard at the game. But I am a gold member and once I have invested money AND hours and hours of grinding time I expect at least one or two to show up in that time.

Very frustrating.
I got all mkII and tech in 5 days. Dude... it's easy.
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-15-2012, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpphasors
I got all mkII and tech in 5 days. Dude... it's easy.
Sure, whatever.

I'm glad they're at least tweaking the drop rate up a little from the 0% it's currently at.
Also, I applaud the other anti-bullsh*tter updates.
I'd also be in favor of not making Elite STFs available until you've done 10-20 on normal difficulty, so there's a better chance your team will have captains that are properly equipped for the mission.