Lt. Commander
# 11
04-13-2012, 08:49 AM
I abandonned the mission because I thought there was a bug.
Now it's on a 1 day 15 hours cd.

Is there a way to take the mission a second time?

EDIT : that sucks seriously, the timer should happen when we got the rewards, all I got from this mission is frustration...
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-13-2012, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_K.C. View Post
Seriously, the mission is straightforward and almost too easy. Except the isolinear chip puzzle which is nearly impossible to do without dying a dozen or so times.
Wear the EVA suit you got from the 2800 series....you can switch back after you get past the first part.
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-13-2012, 06:40 PM
Having a BoFF with great medical skills helps. And plenty of heals as back up too. (never died)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate525 View Post
It's not... Oh... Yeah, I did ramble a bit. Whoops.

The isolinear chip thing is possible without dying; two of my toons accomplished it. But I agree, when I got to the end, it felt decidedly like a foundry mission.

I mean, Drozana station does horror much better than this one.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-13-2012, 08:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueWarper
Having a BoFF with great medical skills helps. And plenty of heals as back up too. (never died)
Yep. Dedicated Combat Medic BOff (Medical Tricorder 1 & 2, Vascular Regerator 2, Nanite Health Monitor or Vascular Regenerator 3) can keep up with the gas DOT without any problems.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-13-2012, 10:51 PM
If the chip was too much of a problem, you could just have destroyed the console...

Apart from that, I think a lot of people here just expect too much of what in a game like this, or for that matter in an MMO in general, can be achieved...
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-13-2012, 11:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muirwen
Apart from that, I think a lot of people here just expect too much of what in a game like this, or for that matter in an MMO in general, can be achieved...
Frankly, that's a preposterous position to take.

There is no reason that an MMO can't evolve past the 'collect X of this' or 'kill Y of that' hand-holding missions that it normally achieves. There is no reason it can't borrow from other genres, make its setting more immersive, more entertaining, and all-around BETTER. Especially in single instances.

Whether the audience as a whole is aware of it or not, video games are evolving into a legitimate artform. MMOs have the potential to be this medium's equivalent of social improv, cooperative storytelling, or shared worlds in literature. But only if people stop setting the bar at where they know the developers can reach and start raising it for them to achieve.

For me, they hit that bar and then some in Drozana station. That was creepy, it was scary, it was horror of the kind that makes me turn it off and return when it's daylight out. I know that can be hit; it's happened before in Half Life 2. Drozana showed me you can find it in an MMO.

Now, I expect them not only to meet that level they've showed me they can do, but to exceed it and continue to grow. It can be achieved, and someone will achieve it, as soon as they the developers have the courage to step forward and take the chance.

They have an opportunity here; a large, willing fanbase that wants them, in large cases, to do things that are creative and unique, and will be more than willing to (at times harshly) critique them when they misstep. But on the other hand, despite the rage that sometimes seems to drown these forums, they're still here. They care.

It's time that the developers start trying things to earn that care and reward it.
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-13-2012, 11:35 PM
I have to agree with the OP as well,
The Devidian episode "What Lies Beneath" did a much better job of creating a creepy atmosphere. Dark rooms and corners, surprise attacks by spiders or the ghost like devidians, with the disembodied ramblings of an insane hologram serving to heighten that spooky feel.
With Heart and Minds the creepiest part is the dev blog, hinting at some hidden horror that simply never appears in the actual quest. You walk from one dimly but still over lit room to the next clearly seeing what your challenges are, there is nothing that is really surprising or even scary, no hidden threat waiting to ambush you from some dark corner, no monstrous creation stalking you as you move from room to room, nothing in the least that could be called horrific. You read a few PADs shoot a few enemies and all too quickly, the quest is finished leaving you wondering what the hype was about.
I'm sure the devs had no wish to create an episode so disturbing that it would give players nightmares but this quest falls so short it's 'actually comical.
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-14-2012, 08:10 AM
It is a nice little story created by a person off the clock, in his spare time. Just like all of us could do (within limits) in the foundry.

The scary part probably is that people just take 'Hey, I got some bad condition here. Let me create clones of myself and experiment on them, including killing countless of them.' as if it was the weather report.
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-14-2012, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by padonk
The scary part probably is that people just take 'Hey, I got some bad condition here. Let me create clones of myself and experiment on them, including killing countless of them.' as if it was the weather report.
This isn't scary, it's only logical way.
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-14-2012, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landerhow View Post
This isn't scary, it's only logical way.
Which in itself is a terrifying concept.

But we never get that from the information we're given. We don't see dozens of dead clones, we don't see the issues he has... He's just... flat.