Lt. Commander
# 131
09-17-2009, 09:08 AM
Yea this has been asked 100 times already but what are the timeframes we are looking at here?

Roughly how many in game hours would it take to rank up each rank?

I am hopeing its on a slideing scale with the last rank being hard to get something like

* Lieutenant TO Lieutenant Commander = 10 hours
* Lieutenant Commander TO Commander = 100 hours
* Commander TO Captain = 1000 hours
* Captain TO Admiral = 10,000 hours

Cause if its not and they make it easy to power level and we have 80% of the server as admirals thats gonna suck big time.

The concept of also making all PVP optional i disagree with also , sure i think that all the missions up to captain should not involve PVP , but the some missions from captain to admiral should make the player fly into the netural zone or enemy space, least this way there is some level of forced pvp.

Because what the hell are people going to do once they hit max rank , the game is gonna get boring fast once you have completed all the missions. sure you say i'll go pvp well no you want not when nobody is in the pvp zones because its not a requirement to earn rank, and most of the server will be trying to rank up.

Or PVP zones being domination by hardcore players that are max rank and skills have nothing better to do, and thus when they work out that nobody goes into pvp zones because why bother when you just get killed by some hardcore player whos max rank/skilled everything, making low level or small ship pvp non existent.
Lt. Commander
# 132
09-17-2009, 09:08 AM
Ok, I have a few questions:

1.- Does a single skill affect both ground and space combat or are they different things?
Example: You take the skill "Improved photonic weapons", and it gives you more damage from photon torpedoes in space and more damage from photon grenades on the ground.

2.- If they are different things, is there any rules on how you spend your skill points?
For example, do you need to spend the same number of points for ground and space?
Another example: When you get enough XP to lvl up, you get 1 point to spend in ground and 1 in space?
Do you get "space points" and "ground points"?

3.- Can you max out all skills for all trees (engineering, tactical, etc ...) in a single character, even if it takes a loooooot of time (you said when you reach admiral your character is only half developed and that each skill is more difficult to get that the previous)?

Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 133
09-17-2009, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by STO_NPG View Post
2) Could my BOs outrank me?
IIRC, devs said that your BO are always capped at the level just under yours. So, if you are a captain, you can only have commanders as BO as maximum.
Lt. Commander
# 134 Klingon Progression
09-17-2009, 09:16 AM
On the TV shows Klingons kill their superiors to progress in rank. How will you be integrating this aspect into the skill based progression? I am eagerly awaiting the chance to honorably duel another Klingon for his position. I will also be quite upset if you left this aspect of Klingon culture out of the game.

Thank you for your time,
Claw
Lt. Commander
# 135
09-17-2009, 09:16 AM
1. will we get exp points for killing other players ai bots in combat mode or will we have a seprate upgrae system for combat.

2. will we be able to put gaining rank off till we feel we have enough points or points layout to progress further so if im a commander and can move on to captain but i dont want to can i still stay as a commander till i think im ready and then become a powerfull captain
Lt. Commander
# 136
09-17-2009, 09:18 AM
im curious what the "max out skills" potential is, in the context of a) is it possible, and b) how much time would it take on average.

The last thing im sure anyone wants to see is Starfleet and KDF operating primarily with hundreds of thousands of maxed out Admirals and Generals flying around space...it would make more sense, at least to me, to have it really take a considerable effort and time investment to eventually reach the max RANK, let alone max OUT

will experience points all be grouped into one Pool for spending? or will they be seperated into Tactical/Science/Engineering experience points, to be spent in their respective fields.

I think it would add to the diversity of the skill progression if you had to complete "class" missions in order to advance skills in that class...it would seem silly to me to complete a tactical mission that i have to take down 3 birds of prey, and the experience i gain from that somehow improves my science > Planetary Scan skill (just an example).
Lt. Commander
# 137
09-17-2009, 09:21 AM
You mentioned that in order to advance in rank, you’ll need to spend a specific number of skill points in your currently available skills, and once you've invested a certain amount you'll then be offered a promotion. My question is: If I wanted to stay the rank of Captain and have spent the required skill points, do I have to accept the promotion to Admiral offered or is it entirely optional?
Lt. Commander
# 138
09-17-2009, 09:21 AM
Well the ranking system was as i expected, and the "skill tree" too. But i'm curious how will we get better and bigger ship and if as some other pointed out i took a path like engineering will i be forced to take ships and stuff only of engineering?

If im wrong let me know!

Jon
Lt. Commander
# 139
09-17-2009, 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictXVIv1 View Post
Well the ranking system was as i expected, and the "skill tree" too. But i'm curious how will we get better and bigger ship and if as some other pointed out i took a path like engineering will i be forced to take ships and stuff only of engineering?

If im wrong let me know!

Jon
Gaining new ranks give you access to higher tier ships (I think this is in the FAQ, but if not check out the "every thing we know" thread in the forums).

They have said that the class we choose does not restrict the class/role of the ship we fly. This is likely because we have bridge officers to "balance" our skills out.
Lt. Commander
# 140
09-17-2009, 09:39 AM
Will earning xp/levelling be based on the command structures that have been pre established in cannon? For instance, Starfleet officers wouldn't go around murdering Klingons in order to receive a promotion, and the Klingons wouldn't reward an officer for shying away from battle.