Lt. Commander
# 151 Additional ranks
09-17-2009, 12:53 PM
There are some ranks that are missing I think especially if you are only half way when you get to Admiral as far as skills are concerned. The ranks, I believe, should progress as follows:

Lieutenant Junior Grade Newbie area rank or intro level - Equivalent to level 1-5
Lieutenant Equivalent to level 6-20
Lieutenant Commander - Equivalent to level 21-35
Commander - Equivalent to level 36-50
Captain - Equivalent to level 51-65
Rear Admiral - Equivalent to level 66-70
Vice Admiral - Equivalent to level 71-75
Admiral - Equivalent to level 76-80
Fleet Admiral - Equivalent to level 81-85

I think that having more ranks will give the player a larger sense of accomplishment when achieving a new rank. Another thing to consider is what if a player wants to focus on ground combat. You could have entirely new ranking tree for that.

Second Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Captain
Major i.e. Major Kira Nerys Deep Space 9
Lieutenant Colonel
Colonel
Brigadier General
Major General
Lieutenant General
General

I think the two career paths is more in keeping with the Star Trek universe as well. Major Kira Nerys on Deep Space 9 leaps to mind immediately, although she was Bajoran, but having the two different career paths would be awesome. The replay ability of STO would be exponential if it were structured how I have lain out here. What does everyone else think?

Naz
Lt. Commander
# 152
09-17-2009, 01:07 PM
What about re-speccing? If an Engineering Admiral wants to try tactical will he/she have to start all over again as a Lt? OR w2ill it be just a re-assigning of your skill points similar to WoW?
Lt. Commander
# 153
09-17-2009, 01:15 PM
sounds like a good way to do things.
Lt. Commander
# 154 Combat/Progress combo
09-17-2009, 01:52 PM
Forgive me if this has been asked, or if my wording is not clear since I am still at work...

I have read various posts and updates on the fact that characters will not actually die when performing ground missions, they will simply return to the ship and cannot be used for the remainder of that mission.

However, I have not been able to find anything on what happens when your ship is "destroyed". Do you have to start with a lower ship (perhaps "buy" a new one?) or do you "re-spawn" at a different point on the map?

Using Eve Online and LOTRO as examples:
For Eve Online, you must have already created a Clone and you will need to purchase a new ship (if I am not mistaken). For LOTRO, you re-spawn in a set location for that region and you suffer reduced vitality and a reduced health bar for a set period of time.

The reason I see this as a Combat/Player Progression combination is the combat could cause you to lose your ship, therefore hindering your player progression.
Lt. Commander
# 155
09-17-2009, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverseenblu
Forgive me if this has been asked, or if my wording is not clear since I am still at work...

I have read various posts and updates on the fact that characters will not actually die when performing ground missions, they will simply return to the ship and cannot be used for the remainder of that mission.

However, I have not been able to find anything on what happens when your ship is "destroyed". Do you have to start with a lower ship (perhaps "buy" a new one?) or do you "re-spawn" at a different point on the map?

Using Eve Online and LOTRO as examples:
For Eve Online, you must have already created a Clone and you will need to purchase a new ship (if I am not mistaken). For LOTRO, you re-spawn in a set location for that region and you suffer reduced vitality and a reduced health bar for a set period of time.

The reason I see this as a Combat/Player Progression combination is the combat could cause you to lose your ship, therefore hindering your player progression.
You will not lose your ship and there will not be any death of players (pc's) or Bridge Officers (npc's)
Lt. Commander
# 156
09-17-2009, 02:04 PM
Skill based System is good. Instead of leveling JUST your main character you have a bridge crew too +1
Lt. Commander
# 157
09-17-2009, 03:05 PM
yea leveling up with skills instead of an xp gain for every kill you make would be a better idea for leveling
Lt. Commander
# 158
09-17-2009, 03:13 PM
Will the Klingons have the exact same character progression and ranks that we do as federation?
Lt. Commander
# 159
09-17-2009, 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbot7777 View Post
Will the Klingons have the exact same character progression and ranks that we do as federation?
The probably wil, the ranks may have different names to go with the klingon command but i believe things will stay the same with rank progression, may by a bat'h let'h trial or something fun to earn your name would be fun!
Lt. Commander
# 160 Question
09-17-2009, 03:30 PM
In Star Trek, a captain commands an actual ship where an admiral merely sits behind a desk. Does this apply in Star Trek Online? If it does or doesn't, will we be able to refuse promotions if we want to?