Lt. Commander
# 161
09-17-2009, 04:05 PM
I doubt Admirals will work as they would in real life. Dont forget until he got busted for disobeying orders Kirk was an admiral (basically) running a ship.
Lt. Commander
# 162
09-17-2009, 04:18 PM
As it may have been asked before, I am still very curious. Will we be able to choose not to advance to admiral? If we are allowed to do such a thing, what kind of disadvantage would it put us at?

It probably sounds like an odd question to ask, but I'd rather walk around with the rank of captain than admiral, but still be a viable character to use in higher end content and PVP.
Lt. Commander
# 163
will we have the authority to promote our crew NPCs, or will it happen automatically? Forgive me if this has been answered already.
Lt. Commander
# 164
Will player progression involve other ways to get ahead aside from combat mechanics? I.E. will there be experience and rewards for those that choose to go the Scientific path instead of the Command & Control path for instance? How will players progress in other skill areas, and will there be quests that center around those types of progression, that involve puzzle solving skills, etc?

-avery
Lt. Commander
# 165
09-17-2009, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazraith
There are some ranks that are missing I think especially if you are only half way when you get to Admiral as far as skills are concerned. The ranks, I believe, should progress as follows:

• Lieutenant Junior Grade – Newbie area rank or intro level - Equivalent to level 1-5
• Lieutenant – Equivalent to level 6-20
• Lieutenant Commander - Equivalent to level 21-35
• Commander - Equivalent to level 36-50
• Captain - Equivalent to level 51-65
• Rear Admiral - Equivalent to level 66-70
• Vice Admiral - Equivalent to level 71-75
• Admiral - Equivalent to level 76-80
• Fleet Admiral - Equivalent to level 81-85

I think that having more ranks will give the player a larger sense of accomplishment when achieving a new rank. Another thing to consider is what if a player wants to focus on ground combat. You could have entirely new ranking tree for that.

• Second Lieutenant
• First Lieutenant
• Captain
• Major – i.e. Major Kira Nerys Deep Space 9
• Lieutenant Colonel
• Colonel
• Brigadier General
• Major General
• Lieutenant General
• General

I think the two career paths is more in keeping with the Star Trek universe as well. Major Kira Nerys on Deep Space 9 leaps to mind immediately, although she was Bajoran, but having the two different career paths would be awesome. The replay ability of STO would be exponential if it were structured how I have lain out here. What does everyone else think?

Naz
before I say anything, I admire your thoroughness. Okay, several things. First, Kira is not in Starfleet, she's in the Bajoran military. Starfleet is a copy of the Navy, thus they would not have colonels or seargents or generals, they have lieutenants and captains and admirals. Also, they said that these are the roles they are starting out with. They may add more later on, similiar to how the rank of Commodore vanished after the 23rd century. and we have no idea how easy or hard it may be to gain a 'level'. In ********* you can gain them fairly easily. In others, level 20 is the equivalent of RS level 80. It's all different.
And since we'll be in command of our own ship, it doesn't matter what rank we are on that score, because we could be a lieutenant and be commanding our own cruiser.
However, I commend you for your opinion, especially since I think two or three more ranks might be good.
Lt. Commander
# 166
09-17-2009, 04:30 PM
will there be any situation in which a plausible option is 'pulling rank'?
Lt. Commander
# 167
09-17-2009, 04:33 PM
is our rank directly related to our ship? can I fly around in a little dinghy (not that I'd ever want to) if I'm an Admiral; can I command an NX-91001 as a lieutenant?
Lt. Commander
# 168
09-17-2009, 05:02 PM
Can skillpoint be gained by discovering things?
Lt. Commander
# 169
09-17-2009, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IT_IS_GREEN View Post
before I say anything, I admire your thoroughness. Okay, several things. First, Kira is not in Starfleet, she's in the Bajoran military. Starfleet is a copy of the Navy, thus they would not have colonels or seargents or generals, they have lieutenants and captains and admirals. Also, they said that these are the roles they are starting out with. They may add more later on, similiar to how the rank of Commodore vanished after the 23rd century. and we have no idea how easy or hard it may be to gain a 'level'. In ********* you can gain them fairly easily. In others, level 20 is the equivalent of RS level 80. It's all different.
And since we'll be in command of our own ship, it doesn't matter what rank we are on that score, because we could be a lieutenant and be commanding our own cruiser.
However, I commend you for your opinion, especially since I think two or three more ranks might be good.
In defense of my original post I did mention that Kira was Bajoran, but my point was that there is evidence of an Army based ranking system in Star Trek cannon. Having said that, what I was really trying to relay was that, as stated in the Cryptic post that once you hit Admiral you still are only half way in terms of skills, there needs to be more ranks. So, at the least they should add Rear Admiral and Vice Admiral before the rank of Admiral and then add Fleet Admiral as the highest rank attainable. This would prevent the eventuality of having to say over system wide comms “20,000SP Engineer – Admiral w/ Nebula Class Explorer - LFF!” I also happen to think that they need to add Ensign and Lieutenant Junior Grade, but that is just me.

I know they may be having a hard time working into the story how an ensign would get command of a ship, but I have a suggestion. Just have everyone start out as an ensign on the fringes of Star Fleet space as the bridge helm officer and have some catastrophic event happen that kills everyone on the bridge except you, which forces you to take charge in order to save the ship. The first couple of missions could have you fighting off a smaller foe and then scanning nearby nebulas for evidence. Once the evidence is captured you try to transmit it to Star Fleet only to find out that your communications systems are down. Here is where things could get interesting. If you are an engineer you would be able to repair the communications which leads you to Star Fleet appointing you as captain with a promotion to Lieutenant Junior Grade and sending you back out for more information. If you are a tactical officer your scans could turn up a nearby base that you could use to send the information, but it is under siege and needs rescuing. After which, you would be promoted and given further missions.

After these first sets of missions you would learn all the aspects of the game. Once completed you attain the rank of Lieutenant and are ordered back to Star Base One to pick out your first new shiny ship and then boldly go where ever you want…

Naz
Lt. Commander
# 170
09-17-2009, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akassa
Is experience gained from exploration and diplomacy equal to experience gained from combat and can i progress in the game by avoiding combat and just exploring new space?
Ah yes, this is my question as well. A lot of people on other forums are concerned that STO is going to be primarily a Star Trek Combat simulator. This is mostly due to the fact that most of what we've seen so far has been very combat centric. Now I know that watching someone negotiate a peace treaty for 5-10 minutes would make for a less than stellar trailer but it still raises the issue. Answering this question could put a lot of people's fears to rest. Will advancement in STO revolve primarily around combat or can someone conceivably level to cap without firing a single shot?

Bren