Lt. Commander
# 171
09-17-2009, 05:20 PM
Just in case anyone hasn't seen it, Rekhan has posted some answers to some of these questions:

http://startrekonline.com/node/397
Lt. Commander
# 172
09-17-2009, 05:35 PM
My questions (although likely already asked in other ways):
1) Is there any real advantage to having a well-rounded Main Character vs a profession-focused Main Character? If so, why?
Say, I'd like to start my main Character in the Science profession, but I'd also like my character to have additional skills in both Tactical and Engineering.
I don't expect my main char to have Scotty-like skills as an Engineer, or Worf-like skills in Tactical, as I'll likely have one or more BOs to suppliment this field of expertise for me at my side, but does having some additional skills of my own add to the uber-leet skills of my Scotty-like Engineer or Worf-like Tactical BO? If so, in what way?
2) Same can be said for any Science-focused BO. What would be any additional benefit of having an Uber-leet Science BO at my side when I already have focused my main Char in a Science profession? If so, in what way?
3) As others have asked, I'd love to see a complete skill list of all professions, if finalized.
4) Will the acumulation of Skill Points be progressively purportional to rank, or are they related to the difficulty of any given mission, or a combonation of both?
5) Will there be any difference between the amount of Skill Points aquired, given the same time frame, for doing Missions vs Random Exploration vs PvP (ie, randomly patroling the Neutral Zone for prey)?
Lt. Commander
# 173
09-17-2009, 05:51 PM
I hope their are re specs but I hope they are few and far between. You will get flavor of the 'month' combination's otherwise.
Lt. Commander
# 174
09-17-2009, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by saber51 View Post
Im hoping that some of these skills will allow advanced abilities
what i mean is that basic helm control lets you do left right fast slow ect,,, but highter levels of helm control would give you access to things like burst speed,, dead stop,, rolls,, zig zags,,, loops,, slips and slides

this would go for other classes like engineering modifying tractor beem or deflector dish or teleporting through the shields or teleporting at warp, or over driving the warpcore or shields or impulse engines.

tactical would allow for indirect torpedo attacks or coordinated attacks or extreem range

science skills for ECM ECCM cutting through interfearance, scaning at extreem range or in nebulas or through rock or stone

there should definatly be some achievements for group work

the nice thing about skill based (unless is gimed) is that there is a much higher max advancement celing,, its not like "well im level 40 nothing to do now but PVP or raid time to cancel"

Im hoping that skill and advancement will also give us access to specialized ship features such as high powered sensors or deflector ect or non standard design equipment or even NON-starfleet ships!
(it would be fun to have a deticated cargo hauler or runabout or fighter!)

this may also include using different races weapons and equipment such as a klingon transporter

charactors should also be able to work twords achievements such as charting systems cargo hauling
patroling,, researching,, ship support

I would like to see other weapon systems besides phasers and torpedos such as mines and inertia bombs as well as drones .
Like maybe... "The Picard Maneuver"?... because that would be AWESOME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by satek06 View Post
I would think that you will have a set amount of points one can use in his or her profession like in World of ********, but if you focus only on say science you should be able to max that skill out if you stick to it, we should also have the ability to have majors and minors in specs as well, say you would like to be a tactical major with a science minor, you should be given the option to put some of those points into those specific areas in order to have a more balanced ability, but in the long run it may just be a good idea to stick with one profession and go from there.
Or maybe like in the Star Trek Universe... you can be balanced or specialized based on your desires. You can be an Engineering wiz like Scotty or LaForge... You could be a well Tactician like Kirk or Worf... or a Scientist like Spock or Data... or even well rounded like Riker, Sisko, Janeway or Picard.

Also, I think people are forgetting about the releases that have discussed the importance of choosing your Away Team and balancing their skills and kits.

Also, will their be any offspring of the Soong descendants? In my mind I see products of B-4 coming online and becoming viable members of the Federation... perhaps their own planet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrceval View Post
This...makes absolutely no sense. Have you ever met any military personnel? Thier rank is their rank, regarldess of department.
Not to mention well rounded or specialized... interesting... I like the command at LT which parallels the US Navy, though the Coast Guard does have command at the LTJG level.
Lt. Commander
# 175
09-17-2009, 06:44 PM
Yeah that is true, a well rounded player made better with his bridge officers, perfect combo
Lt. Commander
# 176
09-17-2009, 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by satek06 View Post
Yeah that is true, a well rounded player made better with his bridge officers, perfect combo
Yeah, I am really excited about the endless combinations that this could produce.

I liked the chat posting from another thread that talked about pairing BOs with CAPTs aboard and away. I think people are grouping STO into the "the same old MMO" stereotype, but Cryptic is (in every way and interview) mentioned how they are making their mark... and honestly this alone is doing it. You can have your "stable" of away guys and bridge guys or the mix and match AWESOMENESS that is the Star Trek way!!!
Lt. Commander
# 177
09-17-2009, 07:58 PM
i think one of the good parts of the game will be when u team up with 3 other capt. and head down on an away mission and see how everyone's professions work with one another and weather or not they need a person more suited in science or tactical, that will be the fun part!
Lt. Commander
# 178
09-17-2009, 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Cid
Not to mention well rounded or specialized... interesting... I like the command at LT which parallels the US Navy, though the Coast Guard does have command at the LTJG level.
Just to set the record straight, a bit, as a Navy Sailor I can say not many LTs in the U.S. Navy command ships. Even the small ships are at least commanded by no less then a person with the rank of Commander. LTs are often in charge of smaller offices and in positions of Officers in Charge, but COs tend to at least be of commander rank or higher.

I can't say anything about the Coast Guard, flippin' puddle pirates. j/k I like you guys, you get to work in coveralls.
Lt. Commander
# 179
09-18-2009, 06:50 AM
I am certainly glad to hear this is the direction this game is going. I will be happy to see how this works out as I have been tired of the leveling model of advancement for some time.
Lt. Commander
# 180
09-18-2009, 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neligahn View Post
Just to set the record straight, a bit, as a Navy Sailor I can say not many LTs in the U.S. Navy command ships. Even the small ships are at least commanded by no less then a person with the rank of Commander. LTs are often in charge of smaller offices and in positions of Officers in Charge, but COs tend to at least be of commander rank or higher.

I can't say anything about the Coast Guard, flippin' puddle pirates. j/k I like you guys, you get to work in coveralls.
That is correct, there are only a handful, maybe 3 dozen or so. They are senior LTs who usually pickup LCDR early into their command tour. They get a crew and the crew rotates to a PC (Coastal Patrol) hull. I know because that is what I want to do for my department head tour.

I think an interesting way to incorporate the ENS and/or JG would be to give them a Runabout and keep them inside a "safe" zone or near a Space Station until LT command point is reached. It allows you to wrap your grape around space controls before you get (or with 1) BOs. You could also do some episodes on the station and/or the planet to get the hang of ground control, incorporating the aforementioned BOs as well.

Dunno if it'll stick, but that is my 2 cents.