Lt. Commander
# 51
09-16-2009, 09:23 PM
At a rate of playing for X hours a day, about how long should it take to reach the various ranks?
Lt. Commander
# 52
09-16-2009, 09:24 PM
Iis it possible to upgrade your skills to the max or will new skills be added later?
Lt. Commander
# 53
09-16-2009, 09:39 PM
How does your choice of species effect your player's progression (if at all)?
Lt. Commander
# 54
09-16-2009, 09:46 PM
Thanks to Cryptic for opening up a little on this subject. It's appreciated.

I found this last comment interesting:

Quote:
To advance from Lieutenant to Lieutenant Commander, youll need to have invested a certain number of skill points before youre offered a promotion. Were a player to invest the minimum-required skill points to reach Admiral, hed be about half-developed in terms of a maxed character, though in terms of time itd take significantly longer to completely max out each available skill.
Let's look at that from the other side.

I believe it's been said that there won't be any artificial cap imposed on the number of skills a character can learn. In other words, a character would theoretically be able to learn all the skills available at his current rank within his selected branch before accepting promotion to the next rank.

Is that correct?

If so, is it theoretically possible for a character to learn every possible skill within his branch and attain the rank of Admiral?

How long would that take if a player were to complete one episode per week?

--Flatfingers
Lt. Commander
# 55
09-16-2009, 09:58 PM
will all the skills be active skills or are the major part giong to be passive % increase mod?
Lt. Commander
# 56
09-16-2009, 10:01 PM
Quote:
When you think of progressing in Star Trek Online, its best to picture an inverted triangle. You begin the game with broad skills available to you the wide part of the triangle and as you progress in rank, the skills you select become more specialized as the triangle narrows to a point.
Hate to tell you, Rekhan. But that's not a Inverted Triangle, that's a regular Triangle structure.

ASK CRYPTIC:

1) Why isn't the Lieutenant Junior Grade not available to players? In the US Navy, personel of this rank are allowed to command ships.

2) How diversified are the skills at the High-End?

3) You previously mentioned that players can have any ship available, as long as they work for it. How will that work out?

4) Will players have to return to Starbase and talk to a "Fleet Master" to acquire skills within that level or to get the promotion to the next rank?
Lt. Commander
# 57 Previous statements
09-16-2009, 10:06 PM
Maybe its just me... but didn't u guys at cryptic previously say that we would be able to train both science and combat skills? With the info in the post it seems alot like a class based system, will this be the case?
Because honestly that would kinda put me off a little... classes dont belong what so ever in Star Trek, and there should be no limit to skill choosing, after all, the storage capacity of the vulcan mind is unlimited. xD
So... I guess logic dictates that there can be no classes??? please?
Lt. Commander
# 58
09-16-2009, 10:14 PM
sounds very interesting i hope it isn't to complax because i wouldn't want to mess it up with picking the wrong stuff
Lt. Commander
# 59
09-16-2009, 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodas
Maybe its just me... but didn't u guys at cryptic previously say that we would be able to train both science and combat skills? With the info in the post it seems alot like a class based system, will this be the case?
Because honestly that would kinda put me off a little... classes dont belong what so ever in Star Trek, and there should be no limit to skill choosing, after all, the storage capacity of the vulcan mind is unlimited. xD
So... I guess logic dictates that there can be no classes??? please?
You choose a career at the start, Engineering, Science, and Tactical. This determines your starting skills. That is your "class". But each class has its own areas, which you can mix and match to develop your own unique engineer or scientist. You can also spend skill points on skills outside of your career-path. So its not really class-based. Its skill-based, just segmented into careers.

And as a nitpick, no the storage capacity of a Vulcan mind is NOT unlimited. That is impossible, and defies all mathematical logic.
Lt. Commander
# 60
09-16-2009, 10:19 PM
i dont think in "classes" about this, but more of a "tree of a profession"..

anyways, what i would like to know is...

"using the skillpoints directly" -

does this mean, for example, we can advance a skill after every mission like "increase skill x in percentage y for skillpoint amount of z"?

or is this more like in D&D:O? where there was a "level" system, but with steps inbetween - f.e. -> lvl1-choose skill x -> lvl1.2-choose skill x+2 or ability y on top of that