Lt. Commander
# 61
09-16-2009, 10:24 PM
Do we move up in rank with xp or by doing class missions?
Lt. Commander
# 62 Skill Advancement
09-16-2009, 10:52 PM
Assuming that you are able to "level up" your skills, as many people seem to be doing (I might have missed that part of the original post), will it cost more skill points to purchase higher levels of the skill, or will it always cost one point? In the same vein, will it cost more or less skill points to advance in rank as you reach higher levels?

I.e. (skills): Skill X will cost 1 point to increase from level 1 to level 2, but four skill points to go from level 3 to levell 4 (1 from 1-2, 2 from 2-3, 4 from 3-4, yay for progressions!). Or: Skill X costs 1 point to increase at each level (thus making skill points a somewhat rarer/more in-demand commodity).

I.e. (Ranks): You have a much broader choice of skills at Lieutenant, so it may cost 15 skill points to rank up from Lieutenant to Lieutenant-Commander. Lieutenant Commander to Commander, though has somewhat fewer skills and thus will cost 12 skill points to rank up; or vice versa. Or: To keep a balance (if, perhaps, an un-needed one), it costs the same number of skill points to rank up at all levels (indicating a greater number of skills to be had at each level).
Lt. Commander
# 63
09-16-2009, 10:56 PM
Im hoping that some of these skills will allow advanced abilities
what i mean is that basic helm control lets you do left right fast slow ect,,, but highter levels of helm control would give you access to things like burst speed,, dead stop,, rolls,, zig zags,,, loops,, slips and slides

this would go for other classes like engineering modifying tractor beem or deflector dish or teleporting through the shields or teleporting at warp, or over driving the warpcore or shields or impulse engines.

tactical would allow for indirect torpedo attacks or coordinated attacks or extreem range

science skills for ECM ECCM cutting through interfearance, scaning at extreem range or in nebulas or through rock or stone

there should definatly be some achievements for group work

the nice thing about skill based (unless is gimed) is that there is a much higher max advancement celing,, its not like "well im level 40 nothing to do now but PVP or raid time to cancel"

Im hoping that skill and advancement will also give us access to specialized ship features such as high powered sensors or deflector ect or non standard design equipment or even NON-starfleet ships!
(it would be fun to have a deticated cargo hauler or runabout or fighter!)

this may also include using different races weapons and equipment such as a klingon transporter

charactors should also be able to work twords achievements such as charting systems cargo hauling
patroling,, researching,, ship support

I would like to see other weapon systems besides phasers and torpedos such as mines and inertia bombs as well as drones .
Lt. Commander
# 64
09-16-2009, 10:57 PM
YES! Thank you. Separating skills from rank = awesome.
Lt. Commander
# 65
09-16-2009, 11:06 PM
will we have multiple ranks in different fields? such as admirel rank in tactical
commander rank in engineering
and lieutenant rank in science?
Lt. Commander
# 66
09-16-2009, 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by saber51 View Post
will we have multiple ranks in different fields? such as admirel rank in tactical
commander rank in engineering
and lieutenant rank in science?
i think this would be the best way to go about ranking, Admiral Tactical Commander has got a ring to the name, i like it!
Lt. Commander
# 67
09-16-2009, 11:10 PM
How much skill overlap is there between the three professions? (Besides ships, of course.)

How wide is the skill tree currently?

How advantageous is it to master a skillset versus being a jack of all trades?

Are there multiple requirements for skills? For example, in Pre-NGE SWG, to become a Creature Handler you needed 2 lines of the Scout line tree. Or better yet,how does the skilltree compare to SWG?
Lt. Commander
# 68
09-16-2009, 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirkrim View Post
YES! Thank you. Separating skills from rank = awesome.
Agreed!

Sounds like a good system.
Lt. Commander
# 69
09-16-2009, 11:27 PM
The questions I have;
1) Will you be able to redo your skills at any moment? For example I'm a maxed out admiral, tried a certain branch in the profession for a long time but it just wasn't my thing, will I have to level up a new character or can I 'forgot' all skills learnt and spent them otherwhise? (Basicly like a talent point reset in WoW.)

2) Will you have different types of medics? For example, I'd love to specialize in researching rare new diseases and inventing cures for them, rather then being a pure doctor.
There was a certain episode in ST:V where 1 of the crewman (I think it was Harry Kim) had a big alien on his face and they needed the help of an additional holographic cardassian doctor to cure him.
Will it be possible to investigate such aliens as a doctor and think up new cures for that?

3) Will there be multiple ways as a doctor to cure/heal a patient? Using only a hyprospray can get pretty boring after a while.

4) Will doctors also be able to skill in cosmetics? It might be fun for a mission to (temporarily) change the looks of other characters, so they would fit in on an a prewarp society. In the shows multiple episodes had this.

5) Can you tell us more what kind of skills we can expect from the end-game skill tiers? Will there be a lot of diversity?

6) So.. 3 branches per profession end game, meaning a total of 9 different specializations as commander; Is doctor an example of 1 of the 3 sciences branches and diplomat 1 of the 3 tactical branches?

7) How many player hours would you estimate an average player needs to put in the game before maxing out skills?

8) Will earning new skills be experience based or time based as in Eve? In general what possibilities do you have to earn skills?

9) Will we be able over time to max out each branch in a profession, or even to max out every profession? (Personally I hope not, but I read something confusing stuff about this in the past.)

I'm out of questions atm, since it's still early here this was just the top issues I had on my mind, I might post more questions later.
Lt. Commander
# 70
09-16-2009, 11:54 PM
Just to be clear when we learn certain skills does that bar us from the ability of learning other skills? Also, if that is the case can someone learn all the skills they can learn.