Lt. Commander
# 81
09-17-2009, 01:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fractal_Eye
(Not editing it out because I don't like it, just for space's sake)

I really hope they answer #5 and #6.

It was Torres that had the alien attached to her (Not being picky by any means, just a big Voyager fan hehe), but you're right about the Cardassian doctor. I'm glad the Doctor deleted him at the end. Pretty cool episode imo. Harry did get infected by 8472 and looked pretty funky.

I'll throw in another question while I'm posting: When we gain experience for missions and episodes while in a fleet, is it evenly spread (I hope so) or some different allocation system? (Probably already been asked/known, but just in case)
Ah yes, you're are absolutely right! I remember Torres being really against the use of that cardassian doctor, but I didn't remember who had the alien on him/ her. I do remember her morale reasons against that doctor though.
Harry was the victim on more occasions btw, remember how he got infected by some parasite and then went to a planet were 90% of the population was female and killed their mates after mating? The only way they could get their men was through changing their dna and making them believe they were part of their species haha. Poor Harry thought he was oh-so special but they were just taking advantage of him. :p

Anyways, I really hope to be able to add some research into the doctor profession, finding cures for new rare diseases through minigames would be awesome and really give me an important job to do for the federation. Only healing basic wounds is fun too, but I really hope to get into investigating the unusual and coming up with new technology through research and study, bascily I'd be a scientist doctor then, the perfect combo imo!
Lt. Commander
# 82
09-17-2009, 01:30 AM
Is experience gained from exploration and diplomacy equal to experience gained from combat and can i progress in the game by avoiding combat and just exploring new space?
Lt. Commander
# 83 Time verses Fun
09-17-2009, 01:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordopolis View Post
At a rate of playing for X hours a day, about how long should it take to reach the various ranks?
I have played several games with skill point base systems, i assume this will be totally different from others, 1 thing that i dont like about some, is the time it takes you to progress in skill,

you will get some grinders who might rank up real quick, so how about actually putting a time restriction on the ranks, with the exception of certain missions which could skip some time restrictions, for exapmle you must wait 6 months for your next rank or complete such a mission to procede, or as recognition for your actions you have been awarded x rank.

will you use a loss in rank due to bad deeds? for example a player killer, looses x amount of xp to next rank?

personally there should be several reward based systems in place, for example, in 2 years you will reach a certain rank, you get aditional medals for grinding to support the current rank base, for eample fighting the cause medal for 100 base defence battles. a medal for not taking a hit while fighting 30 attakers,

without diversing too much, how will you keep the interest in the limited ranks and how long it will take for you to reach them?

Will the ranks be totally mission dependant? willl they be xp based? will they be both?
Lt. Commander
# 84
09-17-2009, 01:33 AM
Quote:
In order to advance in rank, you’ll need to spend a specific number of skill points in your currently available skills. To advance from Lieutenant to Lieutenant Commander, you’ll need to have invested a certain number of skill points before you’re offered a promotion. Were a player to invest the minimum-required skill points to reach Admiral, he’d be about half-developed in terms of a maxed character, though in terms of time it’d take significantly longer to completely max out each available skill.
So does that mean that after I reach the threshold of skill pts for a promotion, I can decline taking the promotion at that time and instead focus on maxing all of my skills available at a current rank?

What exactly is the definition of a 'maxed character'? Are there soft- or hard-caps on how many skills points a player can earn or can I eventualy max out every skill that is available to my branch (tactical, engineering, science)?

When you say 'each available skill' do skills ever cease to be available to a character after being intially offered? Can I end up specializing in one skill and have that remove access to another?

Loving the idea of skill-based progression, looking forward to reading more info about this.
Lt. Commander
# 85
09-17-2009, 01:36 AM
If we are a scientist will skills out of the engineer/tactical-tree be more expensive than science skills?

How will it work: We earn 100xp and get a skill point that we can use for whatever skill we want and for the next skill point we have to earn 200xp? Or will we be able to decide if we earn 100xp for a low level skill or wait until we have 200xp that we can use for a higher skill?
Or in other words will we use skillpoints or xp to upgrade our skills?

How many skills will there be? (Rough number would be enough)

PS: And please think again if it would be such a good idea to have Admiralrank for players. It would look stupid to have hundreds of admirals in a battle. And you could use Admiral for a latter expansion.
Lt. Commander
# 86
09-17-2009, 01:39 AM
I am very happy to see that STO is going to be skill based, I played Ultima Online (still do from time to time) a lot and loved the skill based system compared to EQ (and the "clones") and was also very happy to see that SWG was skill based.

Another thing I loved with these two MMORPG's was that you were free to change your template as you played and explored the game. When I started to play SWG I was aiming for Carbineer and Droid Engineer but later I droped Droid Engineering for Creature Handler without having to restart from the beginning or make a new alt character. Could continue to use my carbineer skills and slowly work my way up the creature handler profession.

I hope STO will have a similar system so one isn't locked in early choices and can feel free to explore character progression and change my template as I explore the game.

Another positive side effect can be that veteran players who want to pick up new skills have a reason to do "missions" / "grinding" and help new players along on the way.
Lt. Commander
# 87
09-17-2009, 02:42 AM
1. will skills have prereqs? example: skill A and B are related but B is not an improvement of A; skill A is learned at rank commander and skill B is learned at rank admiral. would u need to have skill A before being able to get skill B?

2. will players be able to unlock every skill or would going down one branch inside of your career limit you to create a sense of individuality?

3. it was said that getting to admiral asap would grant u a halfway completed character in terms of skills; how does a character who takes his/her time to skill up completly compare to a character who "speeds" through to admiral?

4. how do captain skills compare to bridge officer abilities? are most of these skills passive or active?

5. does an admiral flying the exact same ship as a liutenant have a significant advantage when fighting each other? to the point the lieutenant has no chance of winning?
Lt. Commander
# 88
09-17-2009, 02:58 AM
Nice info, although it raises alot of other questions

Everything I was going to ask has already been asked, so looking forward to some more details. But I would like to see a rough skill tree showing how everything meshes together and where the branches go, even if it doesn't actually include the skills for now
Lt. Commander
# 89
09-17-2009, 03:26 AM
Lt. Commander
# 90
09-17-2009, 03:33 AM
Will we be able to store a template of our Bridge Officers so we can use them to be our new characters? (As in the BO gets "promoted")