Lt. Commander
# 21
04-13-2012, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xautos
until the courts have had enough of this cowboy tactic and shut it down, potential to exploit customers is one thing but abusing that for specific gain and they get no real reward from it is another, like making lockboxes drop ulra rares at 00.0001% and they say there is a "good" chance of getting a hard to get reward when really its a lie with the drop ratio so poor...

i just think lock boxes should be more varied on the items that come out instead of churning out rubbish at 99.999% of the time and the keys should come at random in random amounts no higher then 3 from drops and make them hard to get from loot drops with the addition of it being store purchasable and market buyable, but no where near expensive as a 10 pack of keys for 9 pounds... not all of us can spend such money on absurd priced stuff with a stacked ratio on items.
Lock boxes are somewhat problematic, but it would be quite hard to present them as illegal in courts. Think of the claw crane machines in malls - you pay real money for a slim chance to grab something. From a legal point of view, you're always loosing money, and never win any profits. In the case of lock boxes, you're always getting something, even if it's not something you want (it is clearly stated in the dev blogs).

I do agree that there are some problems with the lock boxes. They could, for instance, let gold members replace regular ones with gold ones via a DOff contact, or maybe even let them run a DOff mission that opens the box on critical success. But all in all I don't see the problem with its contents. The last few batches of Cardie lock boxes I opened were for Gamma supplies. I have no use for a ship, a console or a weapon set. What you see as valuable might be rubbish for me and vice versa.

The best way to stop the lock-boxes is not to buy the keys and really really hope most players feel as badly as you do about them. I will continue to open them, and hopefully over time I'll get enough crystals or whatever to get new costume parts and pets. Judging by the financial success of these lock boxes in this game and in other games, I guess many players don't object to them and probably feel like me about it.
Lt. Commander
# 22
04-13-2012, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashur1
Well, of course there will be lockboxes. You can even play as a lockbox ! Amazing isnīt it ?
You have to unlock the Lockbox species though.
Lt. Commander
# 23
04-14-2012, 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Startruck
will neverwinter have lockboxes?
Yes. They are called Mimics.

Lt. Commander
# 24
04-14-2012, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus_Prime View Post
Yes. They are called Mimics.

Indeed. The NWN Mimic was quite irritating. Though the Mimic is rather fitting for the lockbox comparison. It masquerades as actual content while devouring your income. Should you manage to defeat this demon, it generally yields nothing useful in return. Cryptic is already quite adept in their deployment of Mimics.