Lt. Commander
# 1 Idea: "Reverse-Engineer X"
04-20-2012, 10:50 AM
I would like to propose a new kind of assignment that took various non-consumable Mk gear as inputs and converted those items into something else besides energy credits.

It would be a way to use old bound gear. The rewards could be CXP, skill points, data samples, or even schematics. Players have been asking for a way to break down items into crafting components and the DO Assignment system would be an easy way to accomodate that.

Say you had an assignment "Reverse-Engineer Console". You could feed it a console of any Mk Uncommon or better and get back a random set of data samples, some CXP (probably Engineering), skill points, and a console schematic. Maybe you only get back data samples on a crit?

Another possibility would be to set these up as chains that led to awarding a similar item.

1 of 3 Reverse-Engineer Tactical Console: Input any tactical console -> Reward (Engineering) CXP
2 of 3 Improve Tactical Console Design: Input data samples -> Reward CXP, Console Schematic
3 of 3 Upgrade Tactical Console: Input particle traces, Console Schematic -> Reward CXP, Tactical Console
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-20-2012, 11:52 AM
If/when we are able to get the ability to have inputs be categories of items rather than specific items, this kind of thing would be possible, and believe me, I would be all over it.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-20-2012, 12:15 PM
in the same vein, what I'd really like to see is being able to craft hybrid weapons. Take a Mk XI Phaser beam array, a Mk XI Tetryon array (for example), some data samples, ECs or even dilithium and create a Phased Tetryon array with both the Phaser and tetryon procs. The combinations are numerous and would be great for the doff system
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-20-2012, 12:17 PM
You know what strikes me as odd? Champions Online had this reverse engineering feature before STO even launched. Seems to me that crafting was really rushed. If you gloat about how your engine is basically the same across your games then I expect to have certain same basic features across all games.

And seriously why does it cost so much dilithium to craft now? I cant craft Crap anymore. And that's what I used to love about crafting is if o didn't want to spend much currency for gear I could just make it myself.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-20-2012, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
If/when we are able to get the ability to have inputs be categories of items rather than specific items, this kind of thing would be possible, and believe me, I would be all over it.
Is the tech that enforces the rules of what type of items can be slotted on a starship/toon (i.e. engineering consoles in engineering console slots) usable for DOff assignment inputs? Obviously I have no idea on how that works, but just a thought.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-20-2012, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intricated View Post
Is the tech that enforces the rules of what type of items can be slotted on a starship/toon (i.e. engineering consoles in engineering console slots) usable for DOff assignment inputs? Obviously I have no idea on how that works, but just a thought.
There are the data hooks to do this, but the assignment code does not currently support a way to respect those hooks. It's something we've been discussing internally, however, as it really would add a ton of options.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-20-2012, 02:30 PM
This is a great idea! It doesn't have to be a DOff assignment / chain - just go to MA and do it from a console or person there.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-20-2012, 02:52 PM
Well, what about just using schematics? Those are specific items, right?

So the chain idea might become:

1. Reverse-Engineer Console Schematics: input Console Schematic, rewards CXP, unlocks three new console-related chains.

Then the chains could be:

1. Improve Tactical Console Design
2. Build Experimental Tactical Console (repeatable)

1. Improve Engineering Console Design
2. Build Experimental Engineering Console (repeatable)

1. Improve Science Console Design
2. Build Experimental Science Console (repeatable)

I know, it's not optimal. Can't blame a guy for brainstorming.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-20-2012, 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
There are the data hooks to do this, but the assignment code does not currently support a way to respect those hooks. It's something we've been discussing internally, however, as it really would add a ton of options.
Good stuff, thanks Heretic. I gotta think the revamp of "solo" crafting and the fleet starbase/crafting design with strong hints to leveraging the DOff system is a key driving force for these internal discussions... maybe even related to the redesign of STF rewards.

... Man, I should have picked up more DOff/inventory/bank slots during the sale!
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-21-2012, 04:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intricated View Post
Good stuff, thanks Heretic. I gotta think the revamp of "solo" crafting and the fleet starbase/crafting design with strong hints to leveraging the DOff system is a key driving force for these internal discussions... maybe even related to the redesign of STF rewards.

... Man, I should have picked up more DOff/inventory/bank slots during the sale!
I don't think solo crafting is a horrible thing but the biggest issue is with crafting there are very few things in crafting that are worth crafting (especially since some of those you get the same thing somewhere else in the game). Just my opinion but you have aegis both sides can craft then there is a pile of junk no one would ever bother crafting and then you have stf gear. Would be one thing if every thing had it purpose but the current crafting system has nothing specific say like there are no fed or no kdf specific craftables.

As for the KDF one nice thing to be seen in crafting is if we could craft like say a bat'leth and be able to use some kind of ability in the crafting system to determine its stats and also the way it looks. I just believe crafting should have three things. 1st needs to be something unique to just the faction (doesn't seem viable to see starfleet running around with bat'leths), 2nd its got to have a place in the game something about it that can benefit you for each item thats craftable but not making others seen as not usable, and lastly because of the way the stf system goes there needs to be some non borg stf type stuff that goes along with stuff we can craft for those type missions/events.

Right now I do believe a lot of the crafting problems and end game problems go hand in hand because if borg/stfs or borg stfs if you will they are THE end game so ppl are gonna go after these stf sets and not even bother with whats craftable because its not anywhere as good and definately not any better than stf gear so a lot of thought on that I think needs a big looking into.

(Also we need some Klingon Civil Wars that's like big canon thing we don't have here yet... time to kill some fellow klingons )