Lt. Commander
# 11
04-13-2012, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
Thank you for your feedback. Please ignore me and this thread. I'd like to continue adding more reviews to my list.
Pardon, but as long as I am staying civil, I feel no obligation to ignore you. Sorry. If you dislike criticism, remember that people who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

Edit: I will do my best to be fair in my comments. Keep in mind I agreed (and still agree) with your assessment of 'Outreach.'
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-13-2012, 01:41 PM
Like the reviews KF. Keep it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmera
Pardon, but as long as I am staying civil, I feel no obligation to ignore you. Sorry. If you dislike criticism, remember that people who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

Edit: I will do my best to be fair in my comments. Keep in mind I agreed (and still agree) with your assessment of 'Outreach.'
Your feelings are clear on the subject. Thank you.
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-15-2012, 05:38 PM
Next up for review is an interesting mission called "The Kuvah'Magh."

I am sent to the Regulus system to protect Miral Paris, who is some kind of "savoir" to the Klingon people, at least some of them. There is a diplomatic conference of sorts, and she may be the next best hope for peace with the Klingons.

I'm really excited. A diplomatic conference relating to the war with the Klingons will surely teach me something about this war, who started it, what is going on with it, and what the Klingons are demanding. I really hope that I have some kind of diplomatic role to play here, beyond being a hired gun who shoots and kills things.

I get to the planet and my first task is to kill 5/5 Orion ships. Or, were they Gorn? I honestly can't remember. At this point in the the game the Gorn and the Orions are blending together in my mind as random bad guys that I won't learn anything about, except that one of them (I can't remember which from the last review) has an alliance with the Klingons.

So, they are either working for the Klingons or they are attempting to disrupt peace talks between the Feds and Klingons. I hope that this will be explained. I kill 5/5 squads and I beam down to investigate.

Once on the surface, I meet Miral Paris, who is the "savoir," at least to some Klingons. Why is she the savoir? Because the Doc robbed her fetish of bio-junk to save Klingon pilgrims.

Woah. I don't remember this episode, so I'm a little dumbstruck. But, after a quick look at MA, I discover that I should remember this episode, but I don't. After a quick question to the sbugc chat, I am told that it was a very good episode. So, now, I am totally at fault for not appreciating the game's first real connection to something that players have seen in an episode of Star Trek, beyond random factoids thrown in about the Enterprise being in the Paulson nebula.

The foundry community calls this touchstoning. Although it saddens me that it took this long to find a meaningful example of touchstoning, I am suddenly pleased to discover that there are cases of it in STO missions. This is a great discovery. It's also kind of a cool tie in, to meet the daughter of Paris and Torres. Kudos to the author on this connection, because it's exactly the type of stuff I'm looking for.

Unfortunately, Miral Paris is kind of a flat character. She is just a regular Starfleet officer who seems fairly indifferent to what is going on. There are some elements that show her conflicted with her two halves, her dual allegiances, and her dual identities as both a Starfleet officer and the KM. But, honestly, the writing kind of makes her seem bored, indifferent and uninterested.

Still, she is an actual character in the game. That shows promise. I'm sure that she'll have quite a role to play as this war continues in STO. She is, after all, a savoir to many Klingons and one of the only hopes for peace. I expect her to show up again and again as I learn more.

Anyways, on to the mission. What are my tasks? Kill Kill Kill, disarm bombs, kill kill kill, destroy ships.

OK! I killed tons of people and protected the diplomats. Please teach me something about the war.

I learn that a good Klingon Ambassador wanted to meet the KM. He doesn't tell me his reasons for entertaining the idea of peace. I'm not sure if he represents a sizable portion of the KDF.

Ok, so who did I just kill? Paraphrasing: "Oh, that was B'vet. He is an enemy of my House."

Will B'vat tell me something about the war, what caused it, and what is going on?

"It seems you have won this time, Lt. But there will be no peace between the Klingon Empire and your Federation. So who is the real victim here?"

"You are," I want to scream. I killed all your men and ships, and now the peace talks will resume.

No, I guess they will not. That is the end of the mission.

Sigh. Besides the fact that I'm really, really starting to get bored with mindlessly killing in this game, I'm started to really wonder if there is any there, there. You know? Miral Paris is interesting, in some ways, and I expect to meet her again. But, I'm seriously starting to doubt whether there is a plot, beyond here are bad guys. Go and kill them. Did you have fun? Here are more bad guys. Go and kill them. Did you have fun? Look, there are more bad guys...

You get the picture.

Great sets. Great additional details like npc movements and animations. Even a slightly interesting character. To top it off, there is some nice touchstoning to an episode of VOY. Is there a story? Yeah, I guess there is, here.

Hmm.... probably the best mission so far, but I'm still on the hunt for a good story.

3.5/5 stars.