Lt. Commander
# 11
04-14-2012, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerberusfilms View Post
They've already said they're working on ways of promoting foundry missions ingame more.

I'm sure that there will be some stuff coming in Season 6.. hell there may well be some stuff coming before that.

Have faith in Cryptic just for a little longer, if not cryptic, then Branflakes or someone like that... They care about the foundry.

I get maybe a review a week, If I'm REALLY lucky, usually it's more like 1 every two weeks (that's with 4-5 missions out).
I've just rarely bother to promote them, I used to care about huge numbers, but my mission style just will never get that because my maps are too complex for the engine at times and they break
I know, and I'm really hoping that some of these changes will make a big difference. I'm glad that we have some folks on our side here. But, I guess my larger question is this: What is all of us are just really out of place within a MMO gaming culture/community?

Maybe most players don't even read dialogue. They are just trained not to even think about a story or a compelling reason to do something. If that is the case, then no amount of Cryptic promotion will change things, unless they get some kind of shiny.

Even then, we, as authors, will have to come to terms with the fact that, yes, our missions get played, but no one takes the time to read our ideas.

I think if it came to that, I would be really hoping that, at some point in the future, all of us can migrate to a game that is not an MMO.

Imagine what our audience would be like if this game was more RPG and less MMO? Say, for example, if the focus was on story-based content instead of cosmetics, ships, and lock-boxes. We'd have an audience then.

These are my depressing thoughts of the day.
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-14-2012, 02:14 PM
I'm not depressed about low numbers. As a player I occasional play a foundry mission, sometimes two (today was a two in a row day with Terra Nova & Helna; probably what drew my attention to the threat; awesome missions btw) but its not like I pursue them. Its more like "Meh... bored, what can I do? Oh, yeah. Foundry!".

As a (clueless beginner) creator with one very simple mission I see that I made a few people happy with my one day in the foundry. And I'm not talking about thousands or tens of thousands. Its about 10 or so. Would a bigger number be cooler? Sure, but that does not change the fact I managed to give ~30 min entertainment to some fellow STO players. That does not depress me
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-14-2012, 02:17 PM
Honestly KF, I think this is mostly a UI issue. The plain and simple fact is that the UI heavily favors the best-rated missions in the game, and those are the ones that are easiest to see from a player standpoint, so they are the ones that get plays.

I hope to see UI improvements in the future that help with this.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-14-2012, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by woghd
This is why I rate foundry missions thusly:

5 = any mission of average or better quality
1 = cannot finish

I don't rate anything 2,3, or 4, because such ratings serve only to sink reasonable missions from appearing on the top, and so they have no chance. Ie. A "3" might as well be a "1"
May I respectfully ask that if you ever encounter a mission of mine you only rate it with 5 stars if you totally loved every minute of it?
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-14-2012, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendra80 View Post
The new/hot section is a joke.

If you take the daily, you should be offered 5 randomly selected missions. One >=4 star, Two >=3 stars, Two >=3 + entrance point in the same sector.
The game would then give you the description text one after the other and you could hit Accept or Decline. If you hit Accept, you get the 500 DIL. If Decline all 5 missions, you get the 500 DIL.

This would remove ALL exploit missions from the game. Bye to accolade grindfests. Bye to drop grinds. Bye to 1 click "daily" missions.

I think your ideas are interesting here, Pendra. I agree that the new/hot lists are completely broken, due to the constantly republishing.

I'm having difficulty understanding the last idea here. It sounds like players could just accept or decline 5 random missions without needing to play them and get 500 DIL.

Personally, I really like the idea of a timer, if the tech is feasible. For each hour your spend playing community content, you get X DIL. If you want to spend that hour clicking consoles, go for. You'll have to play 15 console clickers, and the hour will be spent mostly watching loading screens.

The timer would turn off in sector space, which would privilege the longer missions.

The biggest problem with it is that someone could get dilithium just standing around in a foundry mission. Or, a fleet could make a social zone, and all the fleets would get DIL for occupying a social zone.

The first part of this exploit seems silly. How many hours would someone have to just stand around alone on a planet to make enough DIL that equals a $5 c-store purchase? The second part would be really good. DIL for participating in a gaming community at a social hub? Why not. It's good for the game as a whole. It would strengthen and grow communities.
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-14-2012, 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anothername View Post
(today was a two in a row day with Terra Nova & Helna; probably what drew my attention to the threat; awesome missions btw)
Thank you Name. Please play others' missions too.
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-14-2012, 02:29 PM
From my Twitter:

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.twitter.com/PWE_BranFlakes
@kirkfat I think you are going to enjoy what I've got up my sleeve =) should help answer that question ; ) more info soon.
The first "soon" should be next week. I'll give a hint -- CBS is involved (along with some other individuals)

Cheers,

Brandon

P.S. This is in regards to the Foundry.
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-14-2012, 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
I'm having difficulty understanding the last idea here. It sounds like players could just accept or decline 5 random missions without needing to play them and get 500 DIL..
EXACTLY!
You get 500 DIL for READING the mission description NOT actually PLAYING the mission. You are rewarded because you accepted incoming advertisement.

The 1 click missions are there to exploit the "PLAY 3 missions" mechanics. So 3 missions equal to about 9 clicks and 6 loadscreens for like 1000 DIL. My solution would equal to 5 clicks for 50% DIL.

Consider this: If you don't have to play the mission to get the Dil , you practically pull the plug on 1 click 'quicky' missions. => Weed out the exploit missions.

The exploit users will just click Decline, Decline, Decline, Decline, Decline and collect the DIL. But they would not play real foundry mission anyway. But with that random advert, who knows, maybe they find interesting enough descriptions to play real missions.
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-14-2012, 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueEnterprise View Post
Honestly KF, I think this is mostly a UI issue.

I hope to see UI improvements in the future that help with this.
I really hope that you're right and that we see things really improve with UI.

It's just crazy, you know. There was a time when many of us did everything that we could to advertise our missions, get them reviewed on podcasts, make trailers with demo record, and post ad/banners/etc.

Honestly, I think that most of us have completely given up. There is almost nothing that we can do anymore. The only time the top-rated seems to change is if Stoked features a mission, Cryptic spotlights it, or some kind of act of God occurs. Third-party sites like SBUGC just can't do it.

Spamming my sig on the STO forums seemed to help, especially when I make threads that, shall we say, generate heated debates. Even then the forums don't help.

The UI is the key, I guess. Spotlights may help, if they are worked into the UI. I kind of doubt the potential of spotlights if they are done website only by BF and others. They has got to be better integration.
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-14-2012, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWE_BranFlakes
From my Twitter:

The first "soon" should be next week. I'll give a hint -- CBS is involved (along with some other individuals)

Cheers,

Brandon

P.S. This is in regards to the Foundry.
OMG! I'm going to have to stop my mind from jumping to really cool but probably wrong conclusions here. Sigh, I'm sorry that I ever doubted you BF.

Just please tell us that JJ is not involved, lol.