Lt. Commander
# 21
04-14-2012, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
OMG! I'm going to have to stop my mind from jumping to really cool but probably wrong conclusions here. Sigh, I'm sorry that I ever doubted you BF.

Just please tell us that JJ is not involved, lol.
Evil brain cinema. Just saw the "JJ Prise now in Foundry" for next weeks news But I assume it would have Paramount and not CBS (only) been involved.
Lt. Commander
# 22
04-14-2012, 02:48 PM
remember you dont have to leave a review. you can just click though it. im sure many people do that and it does not count as a review. some people generally dont want to leave a review.

i also think that the bulk of players are not interested in the foundry. whether that preconception of what player generated content is or perhaps they honestly dont like it, but UGC is not for everybody? some may try their luck with one mission and pick one of the most played and higest rated, thus increasing the plays and score, and then never play another again. its unlikely on their one attempt that they would pick a bad mission.

but it is strange that some missions get massive review numbers and other dont. i am lucky in worst of all worlds gets played a lot, yet some of my other missions are far better (at least in my opinion) yet get lower scores and less play throughs.

sadly my klingon missions hardly get played and they are at the top of the charts, but that is also a klingon population problem.

in saying all that, the foundry needs much better coverage. its tucked away in the menu, not highlighted at all and its needs a lot more love. the review system needs work and so does the search feature to give people more control over how they search and what they want to look for in a mission (story, rp, romulans, action etc).
Lt. Commander
# 23
04-14-2012, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
OMG! I'm going to have to stop my mind from jumping to really cool but probably wrong conclusions here. Sigh, I'm sorry that I ever doubted you BF.

Just please tell us that JJ is not involved, lol.
LOL. No, JJ is not involved :p

It's going to be good for the Foundry, I can tell you that Then, that will lead into something I am working on for next month, which could go a few different ways, so I really can't talk about it yet. But, know that we strongly feel that the Foundry is extremely important to STO and that we want to see more players playing all of your missions, and making missions!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Lt. Commander
# 24
04-14-2012, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWE_BranFlakesBut, know that we [B
strongly[/b] feel that the Foundry is extremely important to STO and that we want to see more players playing all of your missions, and making missions!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Even though this has been said many times before by very important folks, for some reason, I actually believe it this time.

Now, I'm very, very curious.
Lt. Commander
# 25
04-14-2012, 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWE_BranFlakes
From my Twitter:

The first "soon" should be next week. I'll give a hint -- CBS is involved (along with some other individuals)

Cheers,

Brandon

P.S. This is in regards to the Foundry.
This sounds really cool!
I really do feel that so much creativity and good storytelling is just in the dark right now.
There really is a lot of 'Star Trek' in the Foundry.
Lt. Commander
# 26
04-14-2012, 03:58 PM
Quote:
From my Twitter:

The first "soon" should be next week. I'll give a hint -- CBS is involved (along with some other individuals)

Cheers,

Brandon

P.S. This is in regards to the Foundry.
*Glares at BW* You better be serious when you say it is good. I can't take another of your "surprises."

That being said, I shall now commence the wild theory portion of the thread.
  1. Winner of Foundry Contest hired to help create next ST series.
  2. Stars have released their likeness rights; we can now use them in stories.
  3. "Write the pilot" contest where we write a Foundry mission as if it was a pilot to a new series. Winning story actually used to write new pilot with winner getting "Story By" credit.
Lt. Commander
# 27
04-14-2012, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
*Glares at BW* You better be serious when you say it is good. I can't take another of your "surprises."

3. "Write the pilot" contest where we write a Foundry mission as if it was a pilot to a new series.
Okay, let's not get crazy :p lol. And, in terms of CBS, I mean StarTrek.com. It's good for the Foundry, I promise But it is nothing like what you just listed haha

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Lt. Commander
# 28
04-14-2012, 04:07 PM
Quote:
LOL. No, JJ is not involved :p

It's going to be good for the Foundry, I can tell you that Then, that will lead into something I am working on for next month, which could go a few different ways, so I really can't talk about it yet. But, know that we strongly feel that the Foundry is extremely important to STO and that we want to see more players playing all of your missions, and making missions!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
*pops head up*

I really can't wait til next week

*goes back to work*
Lt. Commander
# 29
04-14-2012, 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob

3. "Write the pilot" contest where we write a Foundry mission as if it was a pilot to a new series. Winning story actually used to write new pilot with winner getting "Story By" credit.
There is no way any of that could happen. It's probably just some website thing.

Best hopes might be some kind of UI integration, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's not. Still, it could be something special.
Lt. Commander
# 30
04-14-2012, 04:12 PM
I can only speak for myself but I can answer why I probally never have played your episodes/foundry missions. Respectfully as well it has nothing to do with you or anyone personally. I just have a few issues which are enigmas wrapped within enigmas. The first one is that I mostly play KDF so if you haven't made a KDF mission that could be one reason. Another is the way I play using cloaking devices with B'rel most of the time the dialogue still breaks the cloak and the enhanced battle cloak still has some issues when it comes to that and it just turns me off completely.

Another factor is you have some missions that reward in dilithium and some that do not as a quoted system based on the time you put into playing as per rewards of dilithium if say you make a mission that lasts an hour long I am rewarded the same thing from doing 3 short ones as I am doing 3 long ones. Pretty much to the OP or anyone who is making actual missions they do not get the justice of time being put in them that they deserve. Another factor is too you might have someone who goes out of their way to try to make it a stargate or star wars theme mission and that just turns me off right away.

One reason I recommended having some missions put together as foundry episodes with tailored rewards by a cryptic employee is that employee can determine for the majority how they will like the mission and how the players will benefit from it. At the same time a player/author can make the mission in a vetted process. I do see why with the 100's of missions available in the foundry the content of the stories as well as the bugs/glitches, and lack of rewarding system works against the author in so many ways and there are so many Cryptic employees can't go policing all of them.

Another issue I've had is like I've wanted to make missions where you conquer large bases and such either in space or ground but when I want to create a single NPC for some circumstances or create things such as like turrets, mortars, drones, torpedo/beam platforms in space, etc I just don't see how players can make them to be extremely unique so in another regard it also feels like if you played one foundry mission in a lot of cases it feels like you have played them all.

In conclusion with certain bugs being something way out of the hands of most players and most of the staff there are a few extra suggestions. EIther a hired team or a volunteer based team like moderators who are not cryptic employees form a small community organization. Then taking foundry missions and playing them and ones that would be given a certain rating for example something between a 4 - 5 star rating by the volunteers/team and willing if there was dev time for it being able to drop each mission in its own category like say all ground, all space, accolade grinds, dilithium grinds, non combat mission, etc. Then say as a more substantial reward for making one of these top notch missions there couple be in whatever frequency some limited time reward for doing this mission and then the author of the randomly selected mission after its polished and released getting a large sum of dilithium for their contribution to the game. This was probally way too long but for a system I do not find very appealing atm I want to see it turned into something so appealing that I would ask myself how could have I ever gone without it

Edit: One side note I think to add to this to enjoy really good mission that the author and Cryptic knows that its a good mission there has to be a way that the player of the mission and author are both compensated for their time which would more than likely viewed in dilithium.... In a reward based system like this time is money or (in-game currency).