Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Lt. Commander
I did a search but did not find anything pertaining to this topic. But does anyone know why the Envoy and Celestial Galaxy-class variant parts are not available for the Galaxy-X?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-16-2012, 09:27 PM
Just speculating, perhaps the third nacelle is an issue. They don't have a separate Envoy and Celestial model with the third nacelle on. Neither do they have the E's and C's saucer with the lance and the dual cannons. They're treated as different ship models altogether, and you can also notice the Galaxy-X has those winglets below the pylons that the standard Galaxy doesn't.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-17-2012, 07:04 AM
I remember in an older thread just like this one, is that the Dreadnought uses a different skeleton then the normal galaxy. Thus transfering the skins from galaxy to dreadnought would lead to skinning issues. The only reason why we have the venture for the X is that the designers built one for it.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-18-2012, 12:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanonsah
I remember in an older thread just like this one, is that the Dreadnought uses a different skeleton then the normal galaxy. Thus transfering the skins from galaxy to dreadnought would lead to skinning issues. The only reason why we have the venture for the X is that the designers built one for it.
I think it would be not very ...foresightful... from the devs to create a different skeleton, for nearly the same ship... but on the other hand i wouldn't be surprised at all, lol.

I agree, i would like to have the Envoy and Celestial ship parts for the Galaxy -X too. I think it would be really cool if we could use some of those ship parts on the Galaxy -X, i would love to mix some envoy, venture and Galaxy -X ship parts.
I wouldn't wait for them to "unlock" those ship parts for the Galaxy -X, they have to make silly lockbox ships and other pointless stuff, which is much more important for them.

Live long and prosper.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-18-2012, 12:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yreodred
I think it would be not very ...foresightful... from the devs to create a different skeleton, for nearly the same ship... but on the other hand i wouldn't be surprised at all, lol.

I agree, i would like to have the Envoy and Celestial ship parts for the Galaxy -X too. I think it would be really cool if we could use some of those ship parts on the Galaxy -X, i would love to mix some envoy, venture and Galaxy -X ship parts.
I wouldn't wait for them to "unlock" those ship parts for the Galaxy -X, they have to make silly lockbox ships and other pointless stuff, which is much more important for them.

Live long and prosper.
It's a modelling issue - if you have changed some of the geometry of the model, even comparatively minor parts, then your texture mapping has to be redone.

The Devs did want to make each of the 3 different Galaxy-type ships unique from each other. The Celestial and Envoy class skins also are relatively low resolution and may not mesh well with the Galaxy X parts (with its higher detail pylon etc).

From what I could see from all the Galaxy variants (including Nebula), the saucer is re-used but all the alternations on the secondary hull, pylons and nacelles make each variant separate and non-interchangeable.

Also the Tier 5 Galaxy-R has a different alternate costume altogether from the Tier 3 one. This may be due to the saucer separation requirement needing a different 'separable' 3D model.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-18-2012, 12:22 AM
Because both those variants are uuuuuuuuglllllllyyyyyy. As in 'beaten with an ugly stick that had *itself* been beaten with an ugly stick' ugly. I'd hoped the Monarch would replace the Envoy (especially) at the T4 level, but at least we have the Venture now..
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-18-2012, 12:26 AM
Meh, they should have just put in the time. A dreadnaught using the Envoy skin might actually not look atrocious. About the only things uglier than the dread are the commander cruiser and the Ambassador class.

If they didnt have the whole CANON!! yoke hanging on their neck, they should have 'dreadnaught-ed' the Sovereign. Why spend the time and effort refitting 60 year old scrap heaps when you have plenty of 30-40 year old starships floating around?

And then some bloke sails by in that dinky Excelsior ... >_>
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-18-2012, 12:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drasketo
A dreadnaught using the Envoy skin might actually not look atrocious.
Yes. Yes it would. *nods sagely*
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-18-2012, 12:35 AM
I don't think the Envoy would 'blend' well with Gal-X parts at all.

Cryptic shipbuilders would rather get cracking on new ship types, than to create an Envoy Dreadnaught skin - which would more or less have to be a new model altogether. Not just about sticking a third nacelle onto the top of the sec hull. And god forbid, copy and pasting things from the G-X onto the Envoy.

As to how hideous a Envoy/Galaxy-X kitbash would be...

Just try to merge an Imperial-class assault cruiser part with normal assault cruiser parts.

You can end up with a very wierd looking ship that is as long as an Odyssey and is so hideous looking you can have nightmares about it long after you've stopped experimenting.

Perhaps I should post a screenshot of that and create a "STO's Ugliest Ship" competition...
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-18-2012, 12:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmenara
Just try to merge an Imperial-class assault cruiser part with normal assault cruiser parts.

You can end up with a very wierd looking ship that is as long as an Odyssey and is so hideous looking you can have nightmares about it long after you've stopped experimenting.
Hah, true that.. I used the Imperial saucer and hull, with other parts, and made a ship that was just about as long as an odyssey, but as skinny as an Intrepid. It looked... wrong.

However, I have made some good looking ships.. Imperial hull/pylons/neck with a different saucer and engines (not Sovereign.. but one of the variants. i can't remember the name now)... it looked pretty tough actually. Almost had a 'Monarch' vibe to it.