Lt. Commander
# 101
04-23-2012, 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACES_HIGH View Post
if you think they aren't worth that much, start selling the items cheaper. There's nothing stopping you from undercutting the other sellers.
That's what I do just to get some items like ship weapons into circulation. I mean, I got it for free or as a reward. I'm not losing anything by doing it and it'll help other players looking to outfit their character.
Lt. Commander
# 102
04-24-2012, 07:19 AM
Until they fix the PvP system, this whole conversations a moot point.

Most people PvE and you can get the space optionals using rares. You really don't need the extra 2% a very rare gives you, good team work makes up for it.

Mk XI M.A.C.O., Omega and Honor Guard sets take care of the ground STF's, and they just take a bit of grinding to get the EDC's for the XI's because we all know the drop rates were increased were increased for Mk XII's..(The last bit was sarcastic because the amount of the increase was insignificant.)

Now everyone get together for a group hug and lets move forward into a brave new world...
Lt. Commander
# 103
04-24-2012, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koppenflak
All that probably happened was that another seller bought you out, knowing full well he could get his money back and then some when he re-listed for 60 million.
Probably. I still made 35m for a couple of clicks and no investment.

I wasn;t expecting it to sell.
Lt. Commander
# 104
04-24-2012, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF-Omega View Post
I will never ever purchase any item or equipment on the exchange for more than 20 million ECs.... ever!

A 2% increase in ___base___ phaser power for for a tactical phaser relay console does not justify a difference of 43 million between a very rare mk XI and very rare mk xii

Just sayin'.......supply and demand does not counter common sense. sorry

I know there are fools out there who may purchase it.... but not this fool ^^

That is all.
then learn to grind/craft
Lt. Commander
# 105
04-24-2012, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Yes, I know how to make EC's.. the question for you is...are you aware of the drop rate of gold lock boxes? Since we all know how low that number is, I think we can agree that the time-honored way of making EC's will be for the majority of folks.

Also, last time I checked, end game sets are bound on pickup. Yup, just confirmed... no omega, maco, honor guard items on exchange. If you mean by "posting the items for sale" to a vendor, then yes, you can do that for 50K each, but we all know the drop rate on prototech items...

So.. I guess we'll just stick with the tried and true method of making ECs. Yup, I still feel the same about it.
and still, when I have 100's of million of ECs in the bank, I am not going to frivolously spend them on 50Mil items
one example of the many ways to "get rich quick" in STO. there are plenty of doff based payouts either for item they reward or doffs themselves.

then you factor in all those who spend money of the lottery lock boxes, several have said they got the ship on the first try. Doing so would net you an instant 50-100Mil EC on the exchange, more for when they still have the "new ship smell"

so yeah sure typical grinding all to gain a few mil EC's will make you value the virtual currency more but a few minutes of "click, click" a day won't. I mean when you have a few mil EC laying around doing nothing what's the plan? sit on it forever?
Lt. Commander
# 106
04-24-2012, 02:28 PM
How about this for a EC sink...

Charge a tax relative to player level for healing injuries/damage... I was shocked when the starbase engineer didn't charge me anything to comb through my ship and fix my EPS conduit malfunction. Sure, we pay for re-generators and components, but that is a convieince fee to heal out in the field. Make the tax reasonable, slight less than the in-field kits, and poof! there goes the money into oblivion.

It would make ECs AND field heals more important. And it will also add a cost to death to prevent zerging or other silliness.
Lt. Commander
# 107
04-24-2012, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Yes, I know how to make EC's.. the question for you is...are you aware of the drop rate of gold lock boxes? Since we all know how low that number is, I think we can agree that the time-honored way of making EC's will be for the majority of folks.

Also, last time I checked, end game sets are bound on pickup. Yup, just confirmed... no omega, maco, honor guard items on exchange. If you mean by "posting the items for sale" to a vendor, then yes, you can do that for 50K each, but we all know the drop rate on prototech items...

So.. I guess we'll just stick with the tried and true method of making ECs. Yup, I still feel the same about it.
and still, when I have 100's of million of ECs in the bank, I am not going to frivolously spend them on 50Mil items
My fleet has 100 million in the bank. I used to look at that number and think, wow that's a crazy amount of EC, but I found out it's actually not. I went into the exchange with around 10 million EC of seed money accumulated over months of casual play, just as an experiment to see how much I could make in a week if I dialed up my inner Ferengi up to 11. It's now a week later and I'm sitting at 85 million, so I can only imagine the ludicrious amounts of dough burning holes in the pockets of lifers. And you know what? At that point of wealth there actually isn't that much to buy on the exchange. So I can totally imagine people forking over 20 million for a 2% increase in just about anything. You don't need Mk XII items to do well in this game, but really, what else are you going to do with all that EC?
Lt. Commander
# 108
04-24-2012, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by minormiracle View Post
My fleet has 100 million in the bank. I used to look at that number and think, wow that's a crazy amount of EC, but I found out it's actually not. I went into the exchange with around 10 million EC of seed money accumulated over months of casual play, just as an experiment to see how much I could make in a week if I dialed up my inner Ferengi up to 11. It's now a week later and I'm sitting at 85 million, so I can only imagine the ludicrious amounts of dough burning holes in the pockets of lifers. And you know what? At that point of wealth there actually isn't that much to buy on the exchange. So I can totally imagine people forking over 20 million for a 2% increase in just about anything. You don't need Mk XII items to do well in this game, but really, what else are you going to do with all that EC?
That's a pretty good rate of return. How did your 'inner Ferengi' do it if you don't mind me asking?
Lt. Commander
# 109
04-24-2012, 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinumbar
That's a pretty good rate of return. How did your 'inner Ferengi' do it if you don't mind me asking?
I probably lucked out with timing since MK XII purples and ferengi box items were still fairly new, so I got pretty good returns on reselling those items while their novelty value were still high. 5 m from a lobi skirt, 13 from a MK XII purple antiproton console, around 4 million from lucking out on several bulk contraband purchases, and most recently 4 million from a galor are the big ones I remember. I also made quite a bit from gold box price fluxes before they were patched to bind on pickup, I but can't remember how much exactly. I could have made even more if I didn't panic sell all my remaining boxes before the patch, since it looked like most of the ones left on the market afterwards were picked up within short order at even above double their old prices. Just like in the real world, it takes money to make money.

I have to say, there is a certain thrill on making a large sale on the exchange, especially when almost all of your total wealth was riding on it. On the other hand, I play this game to make friends, have adventures, tweak builds, and blow things up like a psychopathic Tal Shiar agent in a stolen star trek uniform. Compared to that, day trading on a pretend market for monopoly money is not particularly rewarding. And that's not counting the trolls who can spent two days repeatedly underbidding you by 1 EC on a 48 million EC item.

If I can be bothered to do this for another day or two, I might even give away a lockbox ship to that one guy in my fleet who's spent way too much real cash hunting for one. This whole experience has felt like trying to roll the biggest ball of yarn just to see if it can be done. Yes it can be done, but if neither the Galor or D'Kora hold much appeal for you, there's not much else left to do with what you've ended up with after that point.
Lt. Commander
# 110
04-24-2012, 09:22 PM
On the one hand.. supply and demand...
On the other hand, I agree, a few % increase in ability costing hundreds to thousands of times over the 2nd best thingamabob, is just crazy.
Closed Thread