Lt. Commander
# 31
04-16-2012, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax
So the optimum fix is fixed prices (+or-10% of display value)
and then its all sorted.

As to Voyager and its replicator rations thats to stop Janeway replicating 40 bottles of hair gel
No... the optimum would be to change the exchange to a bidding/trading system... I set my baseprice, and then people can say what they WANT to offer, and then I have to decide if I want to sell it at that price or not
Lt. Commander
# 32
04-16-2012, 09:55 AM
Quote:
and then its all sorted.

As to Voyager and its replicator rations thats to stop Janeway replicating 40 bottles of hair gel
This goes against one of the most common rules of MMO design: The display value is meant to be immensely below the price that the rarity, benefit, and cash would give it. It's meant to be the token return of permanently removing the item from the game, not the player trade value.

That value is set so far below the fair value of an item as a deterrent against items simply being destroyed out of hand and instead traded - the limit you propose would simply mean the majority of items will be destroyed out of hand, the yield of selling them isn't worth the time, and the prices limits on items available mean there's no money demand. You think EC is worthless now, it becomes literally irrelevant under your system, as throwing loot down the replicator generates enough EC in a few days to outfit a dozen ships in mk XII purples.

This is why in most MMOs crafting resources have very little value, or even zero as with STO's. The same goes for consumables, tribbles, and so forth. Many items are designed to have no intrinsic value, but a nontrivial functional value to players. Your suggestion would limit crafting material and tribble prices to 0, and many consumables to 110.
Lt. Commander
# 33
04-16-2012, 09:59 AM
Bought power is worthless anyway.
Items I don't want I recycle or give away.
Lt. Commander
# 34
04-16-2012, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Bought power is worthless anyway.
Items I don't want I recycle or give away.
By that statement, you have never bought anything from C-Points, Dilithium(Medlas/emblems) or EDC's?

Impressive.
Lt. Commander
# 35
04-16-2012, 12:00 PM
Quote:
and then its all sorted.
ROLF. Got a good laugh out of this one. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF-Omega View Post
I will never ever purchase any item or equipment on the exchange for more than 20 million ECs.... ever!

A 2% increase in ___base___ phaser power for for a tactical phaser relay console does not justify a difference of 43 million between a very rare mk XI and very rare mk xii

Just sayin'.......supply and demand does not counter common sense. sorry

I know there are fools out there who may purchase it.... but not this fool ^^

That is all.
LOL. Common sense doesn't have anything to do with it. Or, I guess I should say that your idea doesn't seem "common" based on what some of the posters in this thread have said. "Common sense" says that rare or hard to find items will cost more. That much, everyone can agree on (hence 'common sense'). But how much more? Well that depends on what the perceived value is. A 2% increase may not seem to be 'worth' 20 million EC to you, but to someone else it may be. If NO ONE thinks that it's worth 20 mill, the item won't sell, and it will get sent back to the seller when the listing expires, and he/she will then re-list it at a lower price. This will repeat until it sells. When it sells, then that is the 'correct market price' so to speak.
Lt. Commander
# 36
04-16-2012, 02:10 PM
Do agree that some items are grossly over/under priced, but it is an on-line time waster which is what Criptic wants (could even be classified as content).

I've had plenty of fun researching prices and posting items for sale. Helps keep my inventory pretty clear.

If one is trying to make a living off the Exchange, it can be advantageous or aggravating....
Lt. Commander
# 37
04-16-2012, 02:28 PM
Oh, I totally agree. Once, I posted a purple Cardassian Technician for 50 mil... just to see if I could. I remember joking with a friend that there is no way in hell that any rational minded person would pay that much for an officer, even if it was perfect for Mk XII console crafting. I assumed that nobody was that stupid... I figured maybe 10 mil at the most.

Yet it sold the very next day. I celebrated like I hit the lottery!

And then I facepalmed myself when I realized that yes... people will pay ludicrous prices for things on the exchange.

So I observe with dread the inflation trend that's going on in the Exchange. Regular consumables are still as cheap as ever, and honestly, prices are rather static for regular purple gear (it's even dropped since Xmas). What's gone through the roof are the new items; Mk XII purple and blue consoles, Jevonite Hardpoints, Duty Officers (especially Bajoran and Cardassian ones), and starships. They've become an unattainable tier. To get these luxury items, players are forced to ignore the staples and traditional markets, such as your standard Mk XI purple gear and your hypos, and jack the price up on high demand luxury items so they can afford luxury items of their own.

Prices will eventually drop as demand cools off, but I doubt a lot of these items will drop below the million EC point. The president has been set. This is the new normal, and our EC comes off as having less purchasing power than ever.

TF-Omega, good luck. However, you'll need a lot more than just yourself to pull that off. You're not THAT big of a wheel in this game.
Lt. Commander
# 38
04-16-2012, 04:02 PM
you don't need to spend money to gain power

Now I spent c points indeed (for a uniform component and a pet Targ for example )
I do not buy Advantages
merely visuals

After all you can't be seen in a badly cut jacket it reflects poorly on your culture.

Trading in Games KILLS the Game in many cases.
Lt. Commander
# 39
04-16-2012, 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF-Omega View Post
I will never ever purchase any item or equipment on the exchange for more than 20 million ECs.... ever!

A 2% increase in ___base___ phaser power for for a tactical phaser relay console does not justify a difference of 43 million between a very rare mk XI and very rare mk xii

Just sayin'.......supply and demand does not counter common sense. sorry

I know there are fools out there who may purchase it.... but not this fool ^^

That is all.
My trading history disagrees with you

If you can't afford that price, someone else will eventually.
Lt. Commander
# 40
04-16-2012, 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkfrontiers
Either there are items that are very rare going for 1 - 7 ec! or the complete opposite 100 million ec.
It's justifiable for white mk xii tactical consoles, as they boost pretty good and you can sell them again when you get an upgrade.
Closed Thread