Captain
# 1 That Lonely Little Ensign
10-17-2012, 09:22 PM
A common gripe among many Qin and Defiant pilots is that extra little tac ensign. What to do with him? If we run full cannons, we're wasting him, but if we run a torpedo, we lose out on DPS. Quite possibly why the FPE is considered to be a viable and very powerful alternative. I would know, I run a full cannon FPE, and it's quite powerful.

That being said, and the reason that this is in the BOff powers section, is that I had a brainstorm whilst on the bus today, and came up with a new ability for that ensign spot. I like to think it's not OP, but that's it's balanced and quite viable. Buuuut I could be wrong, since I wasn't exactly... awake or entirely sober XD. Anyways, here goes:

Cannon Penetrator Round (here come the phallic jokes *rolls eyes*)

Fires a single shot of high density energy at extreme velocities. Designed for maximum shield penetration and hull damage. Also due to it's massive velocity, applies a large amount of kinetic force that can move a ship on it's axis.

CPR1 (Ensign Tactical)

Activation time: 0.5 seconds
CD time: 60-15 seconds (higher level, shorter cd)
Damage: X.5, where X is equal to the damage of the number of cannons/DCs/DHCs on your ship (so if you have 4 dhc, x.5 = 4.5 DHC shots worth of damage) Round can crit.
Range: 10km
80% Shield Penetration
Gains 50% extra damage against bare hull (translate: that shield facing MUST be down).

Also moves ship X degrees on the ship's axis in the direction away from you, where X is equal to 15 + the ships current inertia rating (smaller ships get pushed harder). Direction of push is based on your relation to your target (so if you're facing the target's forward left side from the right, it will spin target X degrees to the target's right, if you're facing the targets rear left from the right, it will spin the target X degrees to the target's left... god this would be so much easier with pictures). Always pushes away from you on the target's axis. Also has a 20% chance of pushing target 3km away from you.

CPR2 (Lt Tactical)

Damage: X+1.5, where X is equal to the number of cannons/dcs/dhcs on your ship (basically means if you run 4 dhcs, x + 1.5 = 5.5 DHC shots worth of damage) Round can crit.
90% Shield Penetration
Gains 62.5% extra damage against bare hull.

Also moves ship X degrees on the ships axis away from you, where X is equal to 30 + the ships current inertia rating. Always pushes away from you on the target's axis. Also has a 20% chance of pushing target 4km away from you.

CPR3 (LtCmdr)

Damage: 2X, where X is... do I really need to put this part? Round can crit.
100% Shield Penetration
Gains 75% extra damage against bare hull.

Also moves ship X degrees on the ships axis away from you, where X is equal to 45 + the ships current inertia rating. Always pushes away from you on the target's axis. Also has a 20% chance of pushing target 5km away from you.

Should also be noted, if this ability is used, this is the ONLY thing that fires for the cycles it's used in, none of your other cannons will fire save this one shot. This is the case for ALL ranks of the ability.

Hopefully not too confusing, and hopefully not too overpowered? Let me know what you guys think.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder. <--- DR proved me wrong!

Last edited by hereticknight085; 10-18-2012 at 02:02 AM. Reason: CPR(SP) was stupidly OP, and as such, removed. Also added in a little edit at the end I missed the first time round.
Survivor of Remus
# 2
10-17-2012, 11:30 PM
Just so you know I did the math and on a maxed out cannon build if the (SP) crit you would one hit every ship except maybe a long range retro with ablative active lol
Rihannsu
# 3
10-18-2012, 12:29 AM
Simply this slot has to be universal. It's useless for now, except if you can handle Beam overload.
Captain
# 4
10-18-2012, 01:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack12c View Post
Just so you know I did the math and on a maxed out cannon build if the (SP) crit you would one hit every ship except maybe a long range retro with ablative active lol
Lol... I just re-read what I posted (I am completely awake and sober now) and I agree. I will modify at once. Should also be noted that since this is like a sniper shot, it doesn't lose damage over range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taut0u View Post
Simply this slot has to be universal. It's useless for now, except if you can handle Beam overload.
Well, I know this slot WON'T go universal, so I was simply posting an idea as to what to put there that would fit full cannon builds.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.

Last edited by hereticknight085; 10-18-2012 at 01:59 AM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
10-18-2012, 03:45 AM
I like the idea. It also highlights the largest problem with boff powers. that is the lack of ensign level abilitys. Engineering really gets screwed on that one. But tactical has its issues.
I think science is the best off really.
Actualy reading things pefore posting will make you look smarter than yelling loudly. Reading comprehension is aparently a lost art.

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abriham Lincoln
Captain
# 6
10-18-2012, 05:54 AM
2 thoughts:

1. Not sure if the game can differentiate between "bleedthrough" hull damage and "no shield in way" hull damage. L3 100% bleedthrough means that the entire shot will benefit from the +75% hull damage.

2. Turrets are technically cannon class weapons, and if CRF/CSV are any indication, they'll get lumped in to the damage calculations. Now you're looking at 7.5 (on a scort) base damage multiplier before the hull bonus (with a leading shot of 2k damage, L3 power stats, I'm getting a 26,250 damage hit, which is 3/4 the "average" science ship's hull, and still 1/2 the average cruiser...)

To keep in line with other "ensign" powers, I'd do the following:

1. Remove the "multiplier for number of cannons" from the damage.
2. Drop penetration to bonus 20%/30%/40% (IIRC, transphasics have 40% bleedthrough, which is the best bleedthrough in the game)
3. I'm wary of the "snap turn" effect, as it says "turn away", you're snapping the target right into perfect broadside position...

On that note:
Yeah, there's not much for "decent" powers on a cannon build, as most of the ensign tac powers are beam buffs, torp buffs, and TT I. However, I hear slotting a beam array and the target subsystem of choice in a rear slot doesn't kill way too much "forward" DPS and can give a nasty surprise for when you're turning away from the target...
Well, with the upgrade announcement leaving NX and Connie fans in the dust again, can we restart / revisit the T5 Connie and NX threads - since they will no longer be "truly" endgame ships... (after we get the T5 versions, it'll be time to see them added to the T5U upgrade charts too...

Last edited by dareau; 10-18-2012 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Added thoughts for the 3rd tac ensign
Captain
# 7
10-18-2012, 06:28 AM
Was merely a suggestion, and an idea, not perfected. However if I was told that this ability would be put into the game I would actually bother to perfect it. As is though, it's just a rough sketch on something I thought up.

As for the game mechanics limiting the ability to tell between no shield and shield, they already do that with torps, so I figure it won't be that hard. As for the penetration reduction? The whole point is to get a shot in at the targets hull from long range through it's shield. It's a sniper shot. Hence why I put it at such high a value in the first place.

And you are correct, I might have to modify the multiplier since turrets technically count as cannons. In fact in my original design in my noggin, I was basing it off a 6 turret build I saw on an Atrox once. However if only forward facing weapons (as long as they are cannons) counted towards the damage modifier, I think it would be acceptable.

And the snap affect I rather like, and it makes sense with a high velocity round hitting a target. I mean look at what happens to ships when they get hit by shells. They buckle and skew (or would if water wasn't holding them in place/absorbing force). And if you push them into perfect broadside positioning, then that's just bad timing/bad luck on your part. This ability is not meant to be a passive "push button, get buff" ability. It's meant to be one that you time when you use it and aim where you want it to hit, like BO. Now that I think about it, this ability is kinda like a BO for cannons lol...

The general idea was that this ability would give you (at mk XII equipment) a hit for about 5k at ensign level, 8k at Lt. level, and 15-16k at LtCmdr level. Of course I would have to adjust cds based on those damage calculations, but again, that's perfecting that I don't really want to do unless the possibility exists (which I don't think it does) that this will appear in game. I just made it as a method to run the afore mentioned ships as full cannon boats without having to use a torp/beam because of BOff layout.

On a side note, now that I think about it, that extra ensign is even worse to those guys who have the two purple conn DOffs XD.

Last edited by hereticknight085; 10-18-2012 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Had some extra thoughts to put down.
Lieutenant
# 8
10-18-2012, 06:50 AM
It would be awesome if that slot was universal. Would add a nice touch to the ship
Captain
# 9
10-19-2012, 01:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidraven26 View Post
It would be awesome if that slot was universal. Would add a nice touch to the ship
If you want a uni ensign, fly the FPE. The Defiant-R and Qin have been tac ensigns since release, and the only godsend was that the Mirror Qin has an engi. So the Mirror Qin can run a full cannon build, but the regular Qin cannot. Since I know for a fact that we're stuck with that Tac Ensign, I decided to make the best of a bad situation.
Starfleet Veteran
# 10
10-20-2012, 02:23 AM
Why does a new ensign level tac ability have to be a weapon buff? If we had an ensign level attack pattern then any ship set up might use it? It would have to be something useful that wouldn't stack with other damage doing or defensive abilities so as not to lead to unforeseen consequence of potential balance braking proportions (Not that we have balance any way)

Possible effects for 'Attack Pattern Epsilon':

Increases maximum reverse velocity of ship to match maximum forward velocity for 5 seconds.

Or

Increases firing arc of weapons by 20 degrees for 10 seconds.

Or

Randomly refreshes one ability on cool down.

Or

increases threat level of the player ship for pve. Switches target of enemy players to the player ship in pvp. (does not prevent players from immediately switching their target back)

Or

Any number of other utility functions that any one else might think of.