Lt. Commander
# 1 Hull tanking - a guide?
03-06-2012, 12:36 PM
I've read many posts advocating hull tanking for cruisers. However, there doesn't seem to be a lot of effectiveness to it for me - if anything, over time as I've fought stronger enemies it's seemed to get less and less effective. I can't count the number of times I've taken a hit that takes off a third of it, and on occasion gone from 50% to 0 in one hit! I tend to have two of my engineering consoles set aside for hull armor (one kinetic, one either two energy types, or all energy types/kinetic), and I use Eng Team II, Aux to SIF 2 (will get 3 soon), and Hazard Emitters 2 for hull heals. What can I do to make this an actually effective tactic? Is there a guide to this?

Also, bonus question: How much does Aux affect the Aux to SIF abilities? I'm not too sure on the results that I get, although I have an Aux of 42/25 when I'm in my Assault Cruiser (without the Borg gear equipped). If the boost is particularly good I'm thinking of going from level 0 to 6 in Auxiliary Performance (as a poster on this forum recommended).
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-06-2012, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_1999
Also, bonus question: How much does Aux affect the Aux to SIF abilities? I'm not too sure on the results that I get, although I have an Aux of 42/25 when I'm in my Assault Cruiser (without the Borg gear equipped). If the boost is particularly good I'm thinking of going from level 0 to 6 in Auxiliary Performance (as a poster on this forum recommended).
Bonus Answer: While I don't have the game accessible right now, I think A2SIF III healed about 7k on my excelsior at 125 aux, and about half that at 45-50 aux. I can check and update this later.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-06-2012, 10:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof.Gast
Bonus Answer: While I don't have the game accessible right now, I think A2SIF III healed about 7k on my excelsior at 125 aux, and about half that at 45-50 aux. I can check and update this later.
It would be immensely appreciated, especially as I'll probably never get my aux far above 50, if even that far.

As-is I'm probably going to either have a combo of Auxiliary to SIF 3 and 2, with EPtS 3 and 2, or EPtS 3 x 2, Auxiliary to SIF 3, and Auxiliary to SIF 1.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-06-2012, 10:51 PM
you havent been using engineering team or polarise hull?
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-06-2012, 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr1983 View Post
you havent been using engineering team or polarise hull?
I've been using engineering team, but the global cooldown with tac team makes it difficult to make it effective. I plan on keeping eng team 2, because it's burst heal is still awesome, but it can't be my bread and butter if I rely on tac team as my first line of defense.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-06-2012, 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_1999
I've been using engineering team, but the global cooldown with tac team makes it difficult to make it effective. I plan on keeping eng team 2, because it's burst heal is still awesome, but it can't be my bread and butter if I rely on tac team as my first line of defense.
Makes sense. Polarise hull has a shared cooldown with HE, but i've found it useful in a pinch.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-06-2012, 11:37 PM
Currently, Flying the Excelsior retrofit
A2SIF III, Power level at 50/25 Aux, heals +4526 Hull and adds 32 Damage resistance for 10 seconds.
at 117/100 Aux: Heals 7517 Hull and adds +53 Damage resistance for 10 seconds.

FYI, Hazard Emitters II with the same levels are
9656 over 15 secs, 18 damage resist
16035 over 15 secs, and 30 damage resist

Eng Team III does 10,094 and Eng team I is listing at 6056

My Aux defaults to 50/25 with 7 points in Warp Core Efficiency, 6 in Warp Core Potential, and 6 in Auxiliary Performance.

Hope that helps.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-06-2012, 11:47 PM
you cant hull heal without being able to stack damage resist.

For that you need full aegis set.

and look up the engineering and science and universal abilities that grant resistance to hull and work a way to stack them and add healing in between.

Problem is, the hulls of player ships are usually 1/4th of what a single torpedo may crit for. Stacking tons and tons of resists mitigates that damage a lot but when you get hit by a boosted damage torpedo (aka high yield'd torpedo) the damage it will do will be significant regardless of resists.

...and add to that the fact that you usually are getting shot at by multiple ships..

hull tanking is not a good idea.

When you're down to hull and no way to get a bit of shields up..its time to hit evasive maneuvers and 'speed tank'.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-07-2012, 02:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrSkyfaller
you cant hull heal without being able to stack damage resist.

For that you need full aegis set.
I've got the Aegis set. Although I use the Borg set now, the Aegis is a beautiful thing.

However, in terms of damage resist, I've been able to stick on a couple of neutronium armor consoles. They stack, albeit at what appears to be a diminishing return penalty (not that much of a surprise, though). It also seems to be about as good as my original strategy of adding a kinetic resist console plus a specialized energy resist - except this stays "on" all the time, so I don't have to shuffle around armor plating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrSkyfaller
Problem is, the hulls of player ships are usually 1/4th of what a single torpedo may crit for. Stacking tons and tons of resists mitigates that damage a lot but when you get hit by a boosted damage torpedo (aka high yield'd torpedo) the damage it will do will be significant regardless of resists.

...and add to that the fact that you usually are getting shot at by multiple ships..

hull tanking is not a good idea.
This has actually been my default response. However, I've seen several threads (possibly somewhat old) that espouse the ability of the Assault Cruiser to hull tank better than it can shield tank. While this has definitely not been my personal experience, I figured that if it had that much interest then maybe there was something to it, so I figured it might be worth adding in addition to my existing attempts at shield tanking.

That said, unless I'm really unlucky, it seems like it takes a fairly concentrated effort or a lucky (in the case of the Borg, cheap instakill) shot to take me down. I've managed to take a beating for a fair amount of time from 2-3 cubes at once and actually get away. That said, in a dubious show of intelligence, I often enough gun it out of there, repair, swoop back in, and apparently leave Lady Luck behind for the second pass.

Good thing Admiral Quinn isn't looking too closely at the ship replacement budget reports these days...
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-07-2012, 02:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof.Gast
Currently, Flying the Excelsior retrofit
A2SIF III, Power level at 50/25 Aux, heals +4526 Hull and adds 32 Damage resistance for 10 seconds.
at 117/100 Aux: Heals 7517 Hull and adds +53 Damage resistance for 10 seconds.

FYI, Hazard Emitters II with the same levels are
9656 over 15 secs, 18 damage resist
16035 over 15 secs, and 30 damage resist

Eng Team III does 10,094 and Eng team I is listing at 6056

My Aux defaults to 50/25 with 7 points in Warp Core Efficiency, 6 in Warp Core Potential, and 6 in Auxiliary Performance.

Hope that helps.
It does indeed help. Thank you!